PDA

View Full Version : Acme Baby Falcon Lights

lazerdjs
18-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi,

I'm about to buy 2 Baby Falcon Lights for around £110 and I was wondering if...

1) anyone knows of the units cheaper anywhere?

2) the units are the best for there price and that type of effect or if there is something better out there I should maybe be considering?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

LeapCreative
18-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, unfortunatley we dont sell the Baby Falcons, but if you're looking for a similar effect, we do the Acme Exercet, which i can offer at a much reduced price. Give me a ring to discuss pricing, but i should be able to do you a good deal.

Otherwise, if you've got your heart set on the Falcons, then you seem to have got a really good deal there.

Cheers

abyssdjhire
18-08-2006, 12:07 PM
we do the showtec orion chase set (4 units) for £265 if thats any help for you. similar kind of thing, but the orions are master/slave linked, so look a bit more impressive when they're running. i dont think the baby falcons can be linked

http://www.55.sk/images/webpage/30907_fx1_medium.jpg

lazerdjs
18-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know whether the untis can be linked or not... I have never seen any mention of it so i presume not.

Also... are the units sound-to-light (acually react in time to the beat) or just sound activated (start pre-programed show when music on)?

thanks!

LeapCreative
18-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi again,

asbyssdjhire - not trying to compete, just offering more options ;)

lazerdjs - If you're willing to stretch to £198.58, then i can do a 4 head set of Acme Smart Gobo's. 100w effects, DMX control or Master/Slave linkable. All Leads included, with free delivery.

Or alternativley, 2x Acme Puma Gobo Flowers. 3 Channel gobo flower with 2 stepper motors. 14 gobo's, controlled by DMX or in Master/Slave mode. Including delivery and all leads: £199.16

Btw, both prices include VAT.

If none are of any interest to you, ignore this....i promise, i wont try and sell any more lol :)

abyssdjhire
18-08-2006, 12:24 PM
its ok, not changing our price so go ahead :)

LeapCreative
18-08-2006, 12:26 PM
its a pretty good price on those abyss. dont think we could beat that anyway matey ;)

lazerdjs
18-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys, both got great offers which is leaving me open to different products again.

Do you both have links to either yours or someone elses webpages giving more details of those packages?

...and either of you know of any movie clips that would be great to!

thanks again

LeapCreative
18-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi mate,

Pumas:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=DP29020 (Our Site)
http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=246 (Prolight)

Smart Gobo's
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=DP29023 (Our Site)
http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=261 (Prolight)

The prices on our website dont include VAT though, and the prices wont be as low as ive offered you, so if you do wish to buy, please give me a ring and ill make sure you get the discount.

Cheers

abyssdjhire
18-08-2006, 03:15 PM
not sure where there is any video footage im afraid, and showtec's site doesnt really give much information. here it is, though -

http://www.highlite.nl/index.php/highlite/products/showtec/lighteffects/lighteffects/orion_chase_set

leighinstoke
18-08-2006, 04:56 PM
I can qualify the Acme Smart Gobos - I have a 4 part set of the original ones (I think they are on 2 or 3 model now) and they are superb - I keep thinking of changing them but they are still here and earning and looking good - also nice to spin the gobo to something I've not used every now and again. I'm probably just going to add some PARs to my system and one/two scanners.

Go for them - for the cash - they are a good set of lights.

Leigh...

DMX Will
18-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I would personally go for the Puma's. Good quality lights, but most importantly are DMX-able, so even if your not DMXing your rig at the moment, when you decide to, you haven't got to swap out all your lights.

Having different effects on a DMX rig can seriously increase the potential of what effects you can kick out, but also decrease it if you dont use/programme your desk properly. When dmx'd with different brands/models of scanners/moons/movers you can set them all to the same colour at the same time all to stop moving at the same time, all strobe at the same time, which looks considerably better than having one set strobing away, another pair bored sitting still, and another setting spinning. The possibilities are endless. Go DMX!

LeapCreative
18-08-2006, 05:52 PM
My my my Will....you've posted in a thread and it dosent contain a question about where your catalogues got to ;) lol, only joking m8 ;)

The Pumas are currently in stock at the moment, so if you order them Monday, you'll get them on Tuesday morning.

DMX Will
18-08-2006, 06:17 PM
My my my Will....you've posted in a thread and it dosent contain a question about where your catalogues got to ;) lol, only joking m8 ;)

You don't miss a thing eh ;)

lazerdjs
18-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I am also swaying towards the pumas after a bit of research on the internet. I think when i first saw the acme baby falcons for £110 (inc delivery) for a pair I was so shocked at the great saving I had kinda forgoton that they are only stand alone units with no dmx of slave functions. We do already run a full dmx rig at some events and when we dont all the units are dmx slaved.

Shockwave - I will PM you now regarding your units you have for sale...

lazerdjs
18-08-2006, 08:45 PM
...and ofcourse if anyone else has any similar units new or second hand they want rid of I would also be intrested! :teeth:

abyssdjhire
18-08-2006, 09:13 PM
another alternative if you were looking at the pumas would be the showtec Bat1 digital (http://www.highlite.nl/index.php/highlite/products/showtec/lighteffects/lighteffects/bat_1_digital)

very similar, but newer in design with digital addressing. could do those for £275/pair.

alternatively theres the dataflower DMX (http://www.highlite.nl/index.php/highlite/products/showtec/lighteffects/lighteffects/dataflower_dmx)

again newer, and also has digital addressing at £210 for the pair. the main difference between the dataflower and bat are gobos - the bat has 15, dataflower has 8.

both of them are 250w halogen fixtures :) prices are + delivery, but that wouldnt be much. might be able to deliver free, would depend on the situation at the time

DMX Will
18-08-2006, 09:44 PM
not totally slamming the showtec gear, but its not exactly the nicest look bit of kit, especially with the 3-digit 7-segment display in bright blue on the front. Acme is much more common with mobile discos and clubs alike.

Personally, I would never doubt the quality (light source, build etc) for the price.

abyssdjhire
18-08-2006, 09:52 PM
without "retaliating" as such, the acme gear isnt nice looking at all :) however, its the effect that it produces that you should be bothered about, rather than whether it has a screen or not.

however, just to point something out - the dataflower dmx has the control display on the rear, not the front.

as another point, the bat1 is very similar looking to the puma, and the dataflower is very similar looking to 90% of gobo flowers on the market ;)

DMX Will
18-08-2006, 10:00 PM
without "retaliating" as such, the acme gear isnt nice looking at all :) however, its the effect that it produces that you should be bothered about, rather than whether it has a screen or not.

however, just to point something out - the dataflower dmx has the control display on the rear, not the front.

as another point, the bat1 is very similar looking to the puma, and the dataflower is very similar looking to 90% of gobo flowers on the market ;)
Don't take it personally, its not a personal attack, just my opinion.

When refering to the showtec display, I was mainly thinking about a random bit of blue light appearing constantly in the middle of your rig. You don't see that on a martin fixtue do you?

I totally agree with you about the effect being the most important thing. But say you've done a setup for a wedding at noon, in the same room the wedding guests will be having the wedding breakfast, your rig is there, and its not dark. Times like these you make sure your "area of responsibility" is tidy right? like wise with your rig cabling I would presume, so why have some un-attractive lights up there too.

The acme kit, is in my opinion much better in appearence, take the Winners/Rovers nice blue finishes on them, if its not there to look good, what is it for?

Anyway, nothing personal, im refering to products and not your missus, so please don't take it the wrong way!

abyssdjhire
18-08-2006, 10:11 PM
clash of preferences. personally, i dont like martin lighting at all. however, look on robe, futurelight, griven, and many others and yes you do find a display - in some cases, a full colour diagnostics screen.

compared with the brightness of the actual effect, the blue screen is hardly noticable anyway. the blue finish on much of the acme gear, personally, i find foul.

http://www.djsound.ru/files/10143/mh275_190.jpghttp://soundxplosion.nl/uploads/Image/Webshop2/30850_small.jpg

short of a blue screen (which i think looks fine), whats the major difference between those units?

by the way, i'm not taking any of it personally - its not me that designs or makes the units, and we dont sell much of either :)

DMX Will
18-08-2006, 10:46 PM
by the way, i'm not taking any of it personally - its not me that designs or makes the units, and we dont sell much of either :)

GOOD.

Still perfer the acme, theres just something about the showtec stuff and look.

abyssdjhire
18-08-2006, 10:55 PM
each to their own really :) theyre both very good fixtures for what they cost.

LeapCreative
19-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Bottom line here guys, is that the units are fairly similar in design and look. Price wise theres not huge differences either. The two brands aren't a million miles apart, and its entirely down to personal choice.

If this was a decision between Martin and Soundlab, im sure it would make life much easier, but as i say, no need for any heated arguments ;)

Cheers

abyssdjhire
19-08-2006, 04:17 PM
indeed - choose which you personally prefer. theres not a lot in it, short of a few minor differences