PDA

View Full Version : Bollywood, Bhangra + Karaoke = Wedding Quote

leelive
25-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Just had a telephone enquiry for a Wedding on a Saturday that I have free in March.

Can I play Bhangra RnB? - Yes.
Can I play Bollywood? - Yes.
Can they provide a playlist/ - Sure.
Can I do a Karaoke with all the latest modern hits? - Yes.
Can I set-up at 5pm? - Sure.

Local gig for upto 100 people.

I quoted less than £400 all-in. Which I thought was a super deal.

They then told me that they only had £100!!

I tried to explain the costs involved and that they would be lucky to get someone less than £300. But they said they will keep trying!

I suspect she'll be ringing around for a long-time.

Lee

Excalibur
25-01-2011, 05:36 PM
£100? :eek: :eek: Words fail me as to what she's likely to get for that price, with those requirements!!

For what it's worth, I'd say your quote was very realistic. ;)

ppentertainments
25-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Oh great, never had a thread like this before. :(

soundmaster mobile disco
04-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Welcome to my world lee.

I seem to be getting told that i am way to expensive.

Just have to keep plodding on though

Charlie Brown
04-02-2011, 03:56 PM
A lady called yesterday (I forgot about my free Yell listing) and she wanted a £150 disco for her mums 50th. I had nothing on that weekend and was soooo tempted to take it as an experiment. It sounds daft but under a year ago, all my work was £120 or less. (:eek: )

I wanted to see what the £150 bookings where like. Generally, they are a laugh. Everyone is up for a good time and the bar is flowing.

I decided to turn it down as it could have an effect on future bookings but I was very very tempted.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I wanted to see what the £150 bookings where like. Generally, they are a laugh. Everyone is up for a good time and the bar is flowing.

:confused:

Have you been drinking from the 'nonsense cup' again Charlie? :D

Charlie Brown
04-02-2011, 04:12 PM
:confused:

Have you been drinking from the 'nonsense cup' again Charlie? :D

Not at all.

I don't know how to word it, without sounding rude.

Standard class people are up for for a good time as it's a rare occasion. I have found they drink a lot more too. Whereas a posh masonic doo won't be as 'rowdy' and 'up for it'.

I can't explain it but I know what I mean.

Corabar Entertainment
04-02-2011, 04:16 PM
I hate to break this to you, Charlie, but masons are normal people too.

In fact, I'd be very surprised if we didn't have at least several masons in the membership of this site.

Charlie Brown
04-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I hate to break this to you, Charlie, but masons are normal people too.

In fact, I'd be very surprised if we didn't have at least several masons in the membership of this site.

I know that. Masonic doo's are formal affairs and I enjoy doing them BUT a cheaper party/disco is less formal? It's hard to explain.

Corabar Entertainment
04-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Formal / informal - fine, but you do seem to be getting obsessed with class / money in a lot of your posts recently!

Don't confuse them!

Charlie Brown
04-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Don't confuse them!

I wasn't. I still stand by what I say.

For example:

I used to have a residency at Gunthorpe. The regular punters where down to earth folk/'rough diamonds'. They didn't have money coming out of their ears and enjoyed the simple things in life HOWEVER, they knew how to party. They where a really good crowd and up for anything. I could have a few :beer1: (without being frowned upon) and be myself, including hitting the dancefloor for the last hour :eek: . It was a cheap cash in hand job - everyone's happy.

To the extreme...a £400+ wedding with dancefloors, lovely venue, champagne reception etc is and will be treated completely different. 'Yes sir' 'any problems or requests throughout the night, please don't hesitate to come up and have a chat...you look lovely. blah blah' I feel comfortable in both environments but I had more fun at the Gunthorpe gig because it wasn't so rigid and I could be myself?

Classes of people comes into play a lot IMO. You would never see the people attending the wedding come to Gunthorpe for the evening as it's out of their comfort zone.

From the little experience I have...cheaper paid gigs, in a cheap as chips venue (with no smoke regulations etc) are normally a laugh and good fun - in moderation of course.

I enjoy both aspects.

leelive
04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Welcome to my world lee.

I seem to be getting told that i am way to expensive.

Just have to keep plodding on though

There wil be someone who will do it for that price. But then I'd hate to imagine how the night would turn out.

My brother got a DJ for his wedding for £50 in Bolton. He was really really dire. No interaction. No effort made to get the party going... His set-up was dire too.

I am glad people choose me for quality and are prepared to pay the extra.

Lee

funkymook
04-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I wasn't. I still stand by what I say.

For example:

I used to have a residency at Gunthorpe. The regular punters where down to earth folk/'rough diamonds'. They didn't have money coming out of their ears and enjoyed the simple things in life HOWEVER, they knew how to party. They where a really good crowd and up for anything. I could have a few :beer1: (without being frowned upon) and be myself, including hitting the dancefloor for the last hour :eek: . It was a cheap cash in hand job - everyone's happy.

To the extreme...a £400+ wedding with dancefloors, lovely venue, champagne reception etc is and will be treated completely different. 'Yes sir' 'any problems or requests throughout the night, please don't hesitate to come up and have a chat...you look lovely. blah blah' I feel comfortable in both environments but I had more fun at the Gunthorpe gig because it wasn't so rigid and I could be myself?

Classes of people comes into play a lot IMO. You would never see the people attending the wedding come to Gunthorpe for the evening as it's out of their comfort zone.

From the little experience I have...cheaper paid gigs, in a cheap as chips venue (with no smoke regulations etc) are normally a laugh and good fun - in moderation of course.

I enjoy both aspects.

I did my friends dad's birthdeay party the other week - in a social club in a 'rough' area, full of 'salt of the earth' people, lots of dancing, booze flowing, blinding party - I know of at least two self made extremely rich people who were there right in the middle of it all.

Though I understand what you are saying Charlie - it's really best to drop any preconceptions/cliches about class, money, status, appearance etc. Or you'll end up assuming the rough diamond who asks you to call him about a party can't afford you when if fact he's arranging a mega, no expense spared, champagne flowing party of the century.

Corabar Steve
05-02-2011, 01:16 AM
IIn fact, I'd be very surprised if we didn't have at least several masons in the membership of this site.
3 that I know of.

discomobiledj
05-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Don't forget that Google sees anything Mr Brown........

Charlie Brown
05-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Though I understand what you are saying Charlie - it's really best to drop any preconceptions/cliches about class, money, status, appearance etc. Or you'll end up assuming the rough diamond who asks you to call him about a party can't afford you when if fact he's arranging a mega, no expense spared, champagne flowing party of the century.

I've already had that situation arise. :sj:

DazzyD
06-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Lee - I'm sure the client will find what they are looking for - in an Indian bhangra DJ who'll give Sid a run for his money! I know a few chinese DJs like this and I'm sure the Indian section of our society will have much the same.

Charlie - I don't often agree with you madcap megalomaniac ideas, plans and opinions but I can see where you're coming from with your comments. I fully accept that we shouldn't prejudge people but it is also my experience that it's the working class (not sure where you get "standard class" from? Too much time on the railways perhaps???) who tend to have the most "active" parties. The higher classes seem more refined and less likely to let their hair down (in general, mind, there are always some exceptions). The way I see it is that the poorer (let's be honest) clients have saved hard for their function, have less money to throw around and they seem to have a "I've paid for this party so I'm going to enjoy it" mentality. My background and my family fall in to this category of society and our parties always go down a storm! ;)

honest scott
14-02-2011, 05:21 PM
no racist overtones at all but this is typical of the asian comunity i guess thats why they are such successfull buisiness men/women