PDA

View Full Version : Venues doing 'Wedding Packages'.

Shakermaker Promotions
26-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

Just thought I would mention this. Over the past week I have spoken to a number of venues in my area (and a few beyond) with a view to getting more business. Rather than just send out a mailshot, I have spoken to the people who look after the entertainment. I've been quite assertive and approached them with "We'd love to come and meet you to let you know about the services we are able to offer and would like to arrange a meeting at a convenient time for you if that's possible". I have followed up phone calls with emails.

When I did the mailshots a few years ago, as I've said before....there weren't many that even bothered getting back to me. I think this is because it is easy to just chuck cards and brochures in the bin and forget about it, viewing it as spam. That's why I took a different approach this time round.

Firstly, I contacted all of the venues that I have played at last year. I had great feedback from the venues when I was there. I did 44 weddings last year in 20 different venues. One of the venues that I have played at a number of times (a very nice, quite expensive venue), actually recommends me to their customers. They were the first to get back to me. My idea was that if they recommend me, why can't we come up with some kind of package deal. Because of the way this particular venue is, they don't want to go down that route. They are not a chain but said that they would still continue to recommend me which I am very happy about. It's one of those places where you know that you will get a top price for the Disco Entertainment because it's pretty expensive to book the venue.

Anyway, I was surprised at how many replies I actually got back. I'd say around 50% of them were quite positive. Meetings aren't arranged as yet though. I was also surprised at how many of the venues stated that they were happy with their current Disco supplier because they were part of their 'Wedding Package'.

I spoke to my wife last night and she said that she had seen in the local paper that yet another chain hotel in our area (and one that I spoke to who haven't even replied to my follow up email as yet), are also now doing a 'Wedding Package'.

Apparently, Venue, 60 afternoon guests with up to an additional 80 in the evening, Wedding Cake, Balloons, Disco and additional Uplighting if required for £5000.

I personally think that this will become more popular over the next few years. I know 3 venues in my area (all chain hotels) are doing this. My old hotel residency is doing a £1500 'Wedding Package' and another one is doing a £3000 one.

I'd reckon it's pretty safe to say (although I obviously have no evidence) that the DJ's at some of these venues are more than likely not getting paid what they should or would normally get. Ok, hotel residencies (especially chain hotels in my experience) are usually like that. It's the prestigious, expensive hotels that aren't attached to a chain that are usually the better payers OR they don't have resident DJ's so the customer books their own one.

Lastly, over the past week I have found it very interesting and also enjoyable talking to these people. Everyone has been very nice over the phone and also very nice in their email replies, whether they have been interested or not. I know a lot of people are a bit dubious about hotel residencies etc but my own thoughts are that we may eventually come to the point where the majority of hotels are doing 'Wedding Packages' and that's where the customer will end up going. I'm not saying everyone will do that but you never know? If that's the case then it could be both good and bad. The resident DJ's will get more bookings but on the other side, there may well be less people out there going for something different?

It's just a thought so what do you think?