PDA

View Full Version : virtual dj and external drives

gharbud
27-01-2011, 05:09 PM
hi all, right i am using a segate 1tb external drive, and have just brought a iomega 1tb hardrive off ebay, now i have copied every file from the segate in one go including the vdj databse file, the usually run the segate as drive S: so i changed the omega one to s tried to search songs on vdj but dont get anything, even when i go to the config it only shows drive C and not any other drive, but i can search the drive manually on the left hand side tab any help thanks

Mark Wild
27-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Que?

musicbox
27-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I have tried this item and I could not get on with it.

All I will say is down load PCDJ DEX it's free and try that if the search etc works once you have set it up then the hard drive is ok.

If you do not like the software you can remove it and it has not cost you anything.

The other thing is if you have coppied one to another then you have to get that into the software as well, I think you confusing it if the software on hard drive as well.

Also you must pick up the same usb conection each time other wise it will not read properly.

I am only novice on computers etc so its only what I have been told and works for me.

Pete

DazzyD
27-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I think it might be simply a case of adding the drive/directories on your new hard drive to the search library on VDJ. Even though you've given it the same drive letter as the original drive, there might be differences to the filepaths to where the music files are stored.

Just add the new drive to your search DB and you'll be fine.

The point about using the same USB socket might seem a little odd when the drives are labelled the same but I've found in the past that when devices aren't recognised by the computer, plugging them in to the same USB socket that I used when I installed the device usually works. Odd, but true!

leelive
28-01-2011, 03:18 AM
I haven't figured a way to solve this either.
Every year when I move to slightly larger drives I have to re-scan all the bpms - which takes ages. I decided to future-proof this as best as I could by buying 2TB USB3 drives last year. I still have 400GB left which is enough for another 800 CDs in WAV format. So hopefully I won't have to replace the drives for another year or two.
Lee

DJ James Lake
28-01-2011, 01:39 PM
I do this as well once a year and never have any problems with VDJ, I simply copy everything over to the new drive including the VDJ library, make sure the drive is called the same thing and assign the same drive letter and everything is fine in VDJ.

I have done this in vista and windows 7 with not a single problem

DJ Jules
28-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I haven't figured a way to solve this either.
Every year when I move to slightly larger drives I have to re-scan all the bpms - which takes ages. I decided to future-proof this as best as I could by buying 2TB USB3 drives last year. I still have 400GB left which is enough for another 800 CDs in WAV format. So hopefully I won't have to replace the drives for another year or two.
Lee

The quick answer is to use a file format which a) doesn't take up so much disk space and b) supports tags which include BPM so the BPM data isn't in Virtual DJ, it's in the MP3's themselves - hence no-scanning for BPM's.

Does Virtual DJ support any compressed lossless formats which could be used as an alternative to WAV?

Julian

DJ James Lake
28-01-2011, 02:34 PM
The quick answer is to use a file format which a) doesn't take up so much disk space and b) supports tags which include BPM so the BPM data isn't in Virtual DJ, it's in the MP3's themselves - hence no-scanning for BPM's.

Does Virtual DJ support any compressed lossless formats which could be used as an alternative to WAV?

Julian

As long as you copy over the VDJ database files this isn't an issue as it will keep all the info anyway

gharbud
28-01-2011, 04:36 PM
i have just noticed that my orginal drive is called expansion drive s:, and the new one is called iomega s:, so if i rename this could this be the problem?

DJ James Lake
28-01-2011, 04:53 PM
i have just noticed that my orginal drive is called expansion drive s:, and the new one is called iomega s:, so if i rename this could this be the problem?

Yes that should be the cause, but also make sure all your folders are in the same location on the new drive.

Make sure you copy all the database files from the old drive as well then unplug the old drive and you should good to go.

gharbud
28-01-2011, 05:04 PM
hi still no luck, the drive name is the same and the letter, all the folders are in the same places and the vdj database file, when you go on vdj and go to the config menu then the browser tab, it only shows drive c: no drive s:, but when i put the other drive in it sows up in thier?

DJ James Lake
28-01-2011, 11:41 PM
hi still no luck, the drive name is the same and the letter, all the folders are in the same places and the vdj database file, when you go on vdj and go to the config menu then the browser tab, it only shows drive c: no drive s:, but when i put the other drive in it sows up in thier?

No idea then, something weird going on with your computer. I dont ever have any problems and I have done this countless times.

I would ask here you''l probably get more joy
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/index.html

DazzyD
29-01-2011, 01:15 AM
You've got me wondering now. I've gone in to Config>Browser and it's only showing up C drive (my laptop) and N drive (my karaoke drive). M drive (where my music is) isn't showing up even though drives M and N are partitions of the same external hard drive.

I've done a track search and tracks from M drive are still included. I wonder if VDJ can only handle 2 drives at a time on the Browser tab (obviously not in the DB).

How very weird!

Gharbud, if I were you, I'd simply add the new drive to the Search DB. It will be much simpler in the end. VDJ doesn't display tracks from unconnected devices - only connected ones so you shouldn't have any trouble then.

DJ James Lake
29-01-2011, 01:31 AM
You've got me wondering now. I've gone in to Config>Browser and it's only showing up C drive (my laptop) and N drive (my karaoke drive). M drive (where my music is) isn't showing up even though drives M and N are partitions of the same external hard drive.

I've done a track search and tracks from M drive are still included. I wonder if VDJ can only handle 2 drives at a time on the Browser tab (obviously not in the DB).

How very weird!

Gharbud, if I were you, I'd simply add the new drive to the Search DB. It will be much simpler in the end. VDJ doesn't display tracks from unconnected devices - only connected ones so you shouldn't have any trouble then.

VDJ can handle a lot more than 2 drives, I currently run 6 and another DJ I know runs 10 seperate drives so not a VDJ issue

Digital Jack
29-01-2011, 06:03 PM
What method did you use for copying ?

DJ James Lake
29-01-2011, 11:51 PM
What method did you use for copying ?

I format the new drive and drag and drop all the old files over to the new drive including the vdj database files.

Then I name the new drive exactly the same as the old drive, remove the old drive and then change the drive letter of the new drive to the same as the old one.

Open VDJ and good to go.

I have done this countless times with not a single problem.