PDA

View Full Version : Ldv

Ricesnaps
20-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Just couldn't let this one pass me by. As you know, currently looking to get a van (when we sell the car), so hiring one most weekends now. It's sort of pot luck when you get there what you get, but at least it means you get to try a few.

This was an LDV. Please, if you are ever considering a van do not even put this on your shortlist. It was absolutely pants. Horrible to drive, nasty gear box and that was only after you actually manage to get in, took 30 mins to get the rear and side doors unlocked at the end of the gig last night.

Avoid like the plague

abyssdjhire
20-08-2006, 02:00 PM
royal mail have used ldv vans for years, so im sure they cant be that bad....

Shaun
20-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I've heard a lot of horror stories about LDV's (especially steering column horror stories)

As an owner of an LDV I have to say that it's a dream to drive, the gearbox is smooth and never had a problem with any of the doors. It's also never given me any serious mechanical problems.

Like all vehicles there are good and bad ones, maybe I've just been lucky. I would have no qualms about buying another.

Ricesnaps
20-08-2006, 02:06 PM
royal mail have used ldv vans for years, so im sure they cant be that bad....
Exactly, now I know why I never get my mail on time and they keep loosing stuff!

Is that why they have the size guide now, so they can invest in decent vans?

Shaun
20-08-2006, 02:10 PM
I think you just got one of the bad apples.

Again I reiterate - I LOVE my ldv ;)

Ricesnaps
20-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I think you just got one of the bad apples.

Again I reiterate - I LOVE my ldv ;)
Not knocking you elite, but I have had the oportunity to drive a fair few different vans over the last few months and that has allowed me to make comparisons. I'm sure it will get a few comments, but if I'm honest the LDV probably escapes the bottom of my list because I hated driving the Transit more (long wheel base, high roof). The Vito and Vitara probably came almost joint tops and the VW transporter was nice, but not quite in the same league. I guess the advantage so far is that these have all been new models and used as hire. But it's given me a good insight. Does your LDS have one of those dash mounted joystick looking gear sticks?

Shaun
20-08-2006, 03:06 PM
but if I'm honest the LDV probably escapes the bottom of my list because I hated driving the Transit more (long wheel base, high roof).

LOL. I've had a few transits in my time and I'm not a fan of them. I love the look of the volkswagon transporter and I enjoyed driving the Vauxhall Vivaro I hired. Haven't had the pleasure of the vito or vivaro yet.

leighinstoke
20-08-2006, 04:19 PM
LDVs are okay - prefer a Transit or VW - driven all of them as minibuses at school. LDV fine with the turbo - bit of a donkey without.

Leigh....

Creature
20-08-2006, 04:59 PM
1000s of dids gypsies cant be wrong :):):)

i just brought one of egay for 400.00 6 months tax n test 78000 gen miles - ok shes slow as shes only the 200 series 1.9 - and in fact have been offered a 400 series so may resell my one back as soon as docs arrived.

took here in for oil n filter change and teh yphoned me up to tell me diff seal has gone - not sure yet weather to just repair teh diff seal and hope its not been gone too long or just to shove another axle under her (the latter probally being the easiest n quickest. But shes gonna be used this week as at newark showground from wed to mon, so we will see

DMX Will
20-08-2006, 05:13 PM
egay
Something on your mind?

soundlad
20-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Don't they rev for a diesel!

Paul James Promotions
20-08-2006, 05:55 PM
To be fair, we've had 2 LDVs over the past few years, and we didn't have any major problems with them.

Recently changed to a LWB 03 Sprinter, what a difference.

A1DL
20-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Recently changed to a LWB 03 Sprinter, what a difference.

Seconded :thumbs_up

Test drive a recent LWB Diesel Sprinter and your mind will be made up. They are the best panel vans on the road by far, a real pleasure to drive and have a huge load space. Also very economical.

theoloyla
21-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I have not had good experience with LDV either. The few I have driven have been slow, uncomfortable and unresponsive compared to Transits/Vauxhall/Renault etc