PDA

View Full Version : HD help please.

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm almost certainly going to get one of these.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/numark_dds_drive.htm

It's tidy, and I believe you can remove the HD from the unit to update it, without lugging an entire flightcase about. My query is, would something like this be what I need to connect the bare drive to a PC?
http://cpc.farnell.com/akasa/ak-ic008-bkuk/docking-station-hdd-duodock/dp/CS18363
Thanks.

Jason
30-01-2011, 03:25 PM

It's tidy, and I believe you can remove the HD from the unit to update it, without lugging an entire flightcase about. My query is, would something like this be what I need to connect the bare drive to a PC?
http://cpc.farnell.com/akasa/ak-ic008-bkuk/docking-station-hdd-duodock/dp/CS18363
Thanks.

The DDS Drive is simply a USB HUB with USB to IDE (NOT SATA). The HDD can easily be removed from the front, but I've not been able to find a holder for the caddy.

Also, I think the AK ic008 unit is for SATA drives, for would not work with the IDE drive used inside the DDS.
However, there are lots of similar IDE adapters out there.

If you intend to use these together, the DDS IDE Drive sits on its own caddy, so you'll need to remove this before plugging the drive into any USB adapater...

Numark were unable to provide any details when I contacted them a few years ago -my plan was to get 2 Caddys and a 5 1/2" bay inside a desktop.

chrispeacock
30-01-2011, 04:05 PM
i bought one from thomann a few weeks back. fitted a 160gb HD to it. its an IDE drive. no room in the caddy for an adaptor. it would be great as you say to remove the caddy and link it to a pc/laptop to upload music and organise files for this, which saves moving a flightcase about.

the dds from thomann doesnt come with a hard drive unstalled. came to about £8 for delivery from germany. the cd drive on this can play 2 songs from the same disc at the same time but they dont advise it.

for £50 its worth a shot as these are £299 everywhere else

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 04:19 PM
The DDS Drive is simply a USB HUB with USB to IDE (NOT SATA). The HDD can easily be removed from the front, but I've not been able to find a holder for the caddy.

Also, I think the AK ic008 unit is for SATA drives, for would not work with the IDE drive used inside the DDS.

If you intend to use these together, the DDS IDE Drive sits on its own caddy, so you'll need to remove this before plugging the drive into any USB adapater...

Numark were unable to provide any details when I contacted them a few years ago -my plan was to get 2 Caddys and a 5 1/2" bay inside a desktop.
Any chance of that in English, mate? :confused: :confused: Do you mean that I'm going to have to unscrew the drive from whatever makes it fit the Numark assembly? :confused: That's a bad idea. ;)

I was hoping to simply remove the drive from the numark, and slot it straight into a gizmo connected to the PC by a USB cable. Can I do that?

chrispeacock
30-01-2011, 04:30 PM
do you want me to take a picture of the caddy removed so you can see the connection on the back. that way you can see if you can get a gizmo to connect it up without unscrewing it from the caddy

Pe7e
30-01-2011, 04:41 PM
the dds from thomann doesnt come with a hard drive unstalled.

Do you mean installed?
Does the unit supplied from Thomann contain the 80gb hard disc or is it just an empty caddy?

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 04:47 PM
do you want me to take a picture of the caddy removed so you can see the connection on the back. that way you can see if you can get a gizmo to connect it up without unscrewing it from the caddy
I suspect it may be one of these.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/numark_dds_caddy.htm
In which case, I think I can see where Jason was coming from. Why can't it be simple? :confused: :( :( :( :( :( :(

Do you mean installed?
Does the unit supplied from Thomann contain the 80gb hard disc or is it just an empty caddy?

It's bare. What do you expect for £50? :confused: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

chrispeacock
30-01-2011, 04:49 PM
the 80gb unit is not in the dds when bought from thomann. but i picked up a 160gb one for £30. so for £80 i paid for a £300 unit. bargain if you ask me

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Jason, I've sat down and read your post more than once, and coupled with what else has been written here, I think I actually understand it now. Ta.

I've just ordered the unit from Thomann, so I'll keep everybody posted as to how it all goes.

Jason
30-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Any chance of that in English, mate? :confused: :confused: Do you mean that I'm going to have to unscrew the drive from whatever makes it fit the Numark assembly? :confused: That's a bad idea. ;)

I was hoping to simply remove the drive from the numark, and slot it straight into a gizmo connected to the PC by a USB cable. Can I do that?

Sorry mate, but you've deciphered correctly.... take the lump(drive) out... un-screw the IDE drive, and then plug into your USB>IDE adapter.

Sadly, not what you (or I) want.
I emailed NuMark, trying to find a souce of 5 1/4" drive bays that will allow me to connect their caddys, a reply, but no help.

Jason

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry mate, but you've deciphered correctly.... take the lump(drive) out... un-screw the IDE drive, and then plug into your USB>IDE adapter.

Sadly, not what you (or I) want.I emailed NuMark, trying to find a souce of 5 1/4" drive bays that will allow me to connect their caddys, a reply, but no help.

Jason

I find it hard to believe that we're the only ones wanting to do this. Why has nobody made such an adaptor? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jay
30-01-2011, 08:57 PM
On the numark website, they mention using a Alesis FirePort 1394, but a google search suggests they are aroung £160. I haven't been able to find anything cheaper as I too would like to do this.

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 10:53 PM
On the numark website, they mention using a Alesis FirePort 1394, but a google search suggests they are aroung £160. I haven't been able to find anything cheaper as I too would like to do this.

Perhaps we should start a club? :confused: :D :D :D :D :D

Wanders off to see :what: the :Censored: an Alesis Fireport 1394 is. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jiggles
30-01-2011, 11:07 PM
What is the connector on the caddy?

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 11:10 PM
What is the connector on the caddy?

How the :Censored: should I know? :confused: I haven't got it yet. ;) :D :D :D :D

There's no piccy of the back on here, sadly.

Jiggles
30-01-2011, 11:22 PM
How the :Censored: should I know? :confused: I haven't got it yet. ;) :D :D :D :D

There's no piccy of the back on here, sadly.

If you don't know, then you are just stabbing in the dark! :daft: :daft:

Excalibur
30-01-2011, 11:41 PM
If you don't know, then you are just stabbing in the dark! :daft: :daft:

Well nothing new there then! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Callum, thanks for your interest and help, it's appreciated. ;) this Alesis gubbins appears to have a purpose, and an extortionate price tag!!:eek: :eek:
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR338497

Whatever the connector is on the back of the caddy, it obviously has a mate inside the Numark drive unit. Perhaps we should have asked Chris (Peacock ) to post a piccy after all?

Chris, piccy please? Pretty please?

Jay
31-01-2011, 02:19 PM
when I get home tonight I'll post a pic of it all to see whats what

deltic
31-01-2011, 02:26 PM
here speaketh a man who had a dds80

the bit you can't buy is the cradle which the hd plugs into,you can buy the caddy so in effect you could alternate and run different drives

the unit you have purchased has a usb socket on the back for attaching to computer to update,which is a pain in the preverbial,as you have to have flight case in proximity to the computer.

the connector on the back of the caddy looks very much like the old paralel connector which used to be on printers before usb.
even if the connector is the same as the old paralel one you would still have to find a way of powering the drive

this might be worth looking at
http://en.vipower.com/products01.php?CID=123&PageID=120#SmartDOCK

Excalibur
31-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Good man, that's the type of person we need here. You can't beat frist hand experience. ;)

the bit you can't buy is the cradle which the hd plugs into,you can buy the caddy so in effect you could alternate and run different drives
Oh poo, so much for experience. :( :(

the unit you have purchased has a usb socket on the back for attaching to computer to update,which is a pain in the preverbial,as you have to have flight case in proximity to the computer.
No change there, then. Situation normal. :(

the connector on the back of the caddy looks very much like the old paralel connector which used to be on printers before usb.
even if the connector is the same as the old paralel one you would still have to find a way of powering the drive

this might be worth looking at
http://en.vipower.com/products01.php?CID=123&PageID=120#SmartDOCK

Why oh why oh why doesn't such an animal exist? :confused: :eek: :eek: There's obviously a dire need for the :Censored: thing. ;) We've got an order for a truckload here already. :D :D :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
31-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I've only half been following this thread, so please forgive me if I've got completely the wrong end of the stick about what's going on here and what you're after....but, presumably the caddy pops out of the the dds drive very simply? ...and (from the looks of the pictures on thomman that Peter posted) it looks like the drive just pops in to the caddy pretty easily. True? then read on. If not, then don't bother reading further!

If that is the case, how about using a hard drive docking station? Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Winstars-Communicator-C2-SATA-IDE-HDD-Docking-Station-/130468028378 (I happen to know this particular ebay seller personally and got given one of these as a little pressie the other week, and it's just dawned on me that this might be useful for what you're after)

Excalibur
31-01-2011, 09:08 PM
I've only half been following this thread, so please forgive me if I've got completely the wrong end of the stick about what's going on here and what you're after....but, presumably the caddy pops out of the the dds drive very simply? ...and (from the looks of the pictures on thomman that Peter posted) it looks like the drive just pops in to the caddy pretty easily. True? then read on. If not, then don't bother reading further!
Angela, going on what I have heard/seen, I believe you are basically correct. It does however seem a bit fiddly and over complicated to have to disassemble the whole affair to connect it to the PC. Ah well, back to the drawing board. I'll know more when the drive arrives.

Did you know I've got my own personal shopper at Thomann? How's that for posh? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Megamix
31-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I've ordered one, mainly for the CD playing ability (if called for) - I will probably keep the HDD unchanged and add updates via USB stick and then do HDD update every few weeks, which won't be so tiresome.
As my backup system it doesn't need updating so much.

Corabar Entertainment
31-01-2011, 09:18 PM
It does however seem a bit fiddly and over complicated to have to disassemble the whole affair to connect it to the PC
Oh well, I thought I'd mention it just in case :)

Excalibur
31-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh well, I thought I'd mention it just in case :)

A perfectly valid reason for doing so. Thanks.

Jason
31-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Its not a 25 way D-Type (as per old PC Parallel port) as this is not enough to carry the (40-way) IDE signal.
I can't be bothered to drag mine out, but I suspect its probably a 50-Way connector, with the extras being used for Power? (HD50 is a standard connector type for SCSI, and may be used by NuMark)
Some magic with a soldering iron, USB to IDE adapter and a very steady hand may yield something that works. A longer USB cable may be cheaper, but I was very disappointed that NuMark were unable to help.

When I used the DDS with the Drive Bay, I used a USB extension from the DDS, and so had a suitable point to disconnect from the DDS and connect the drive bay to a PC.

ie;
DDS<-----USB Extension-------><---USB A-B---><---DDS Drive Bay--->
and
PC<---USB A-B---><---DDS Drive Bay--->

This was because the DDS connector to the Drive bay was at the rear of the system, and difficult to reach.

Excalibur
31-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Jason,yes that would undoubtedly work, but still requires you to move the case to the pc, rather than simply unplugging a HD and carrying that in.

DJ James Lake
01-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks.

Any idea if this would work with a Numark D2?

Booche
01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
The local pub to me always rings me up to help her with computer issues etc and i noticed she had bought 2 of the docking statons fromMaplins (link below)

As they do both ide and sata and it's got a card reader etc on it so it's ideal for her karaoke and music videos and because it's a hotswap docking station all she has to do is lit the hdd out and swap.

She has one upstairs and one downstairs in the pub both just connect via usb and hey presto all done.

Sorry if i too have got the wrong end of the stick :sofa:

SATA and IDE HDD Docking Station with Hub & CardReader (http://www.maplin.co.uk/sata-and-ide-hdd-docking-station-with-hub-and-cardreader-388318)

Corabar Entertainment
01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Same make, and same basic functionality as the one I mentioned in post #21 :p

EDIT: Actually, I think that they are the same thing completely - the Communicator C2 - just that one picture is of the older design to the other. :)

Booche
01-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Same make, and same basic functionality as the one I mentioned in post #21 :p

EDIT: Actually, I think that they are the same thing completely - the Communicator C2 - just that one picture is of the older design to the other. :)

Great minds and all that :D :P

Excalibur
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Any idea if this would work with a Numark D2?

Oh yuss. That is actually where the original idea came from, a poster on another forum who bought two, one for each of his D2's. Bear in mind that a DDS80 is basically only a D2 with a colour screen, and one of these bolted to it.

Basically it would appear that these units will work with almost any USB enabled player. I think. It would be interesting to lash one into one of the SD/USB type players. I'm confident it would simply see it as another drive.

Dave, Angela, you have both undoubtedly come up with a solution. Not the one any of us wanted, and definitely not the one we were looking for, but a solution nevertheless. Ta. When the unit arrives form Germany, we'll see where we go from there.

wensleydale
01-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Jason,yes that would undoubtedly work, but still requires you to move the case to the pc, rather than simply unplugging a HD and carrying that in.

Why would you need to move the case?
I thought you slipped it out of the DDS and then into the cradle/docking station on your PC?

Excalibur
01-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Why would you need to move the case?
I thought you slipped it out of the DDS and then into the cradle/docking station on your PC?

Have you actually been reading any of this? :confused: :confused:

Jason explained in post #2, and other folk explained later as well.

wensleydale
01-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Have you actually been reading any of this? :confused: :confused:

Jason explained in post #2, and other folk explained later as well.
I'm confused now as I dont think you do need to move the case.
Surely Angelas post is right.
So if so, why do you still need to move the whole flightcase?

Excalibur
01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm confused now as I dont think you do need to move the case.
Surely Angelas post is right.
So if so, why do you still need to move the whole flightcase?

Option 1) Carry the whole case in, plug in a USB cable, ready to rock and roll. Simples.
Option2) Remove caddy. Disassemble caddy, and remove HD from caddy. Place HD in dock. Connect dock to PC. Reverse the procedure when finished. Not simples.

You pays yer money............................................. .......................

We're seeking option3) Remove caddy. Plug caddy into PC.
Not only is this option not simples, it's apparently not even remotely possible. :confused: :(

Jason
01-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Yep... thats sadly what needs to be done.

For the DDS software, I really wanted to be able to connect it (via IDE) to a dekstop, at the time, I felt the speed of the desktop and faster transfer rate of native IDE would be better than Laptop+USB
This would also help with drive mirroring for backup.

Its not a really big deal, but the advantage of removable HDD is lost unless you can slot the caddy directly into something else. They may as well have done away with the removable feature.
With Numark unable to supply or provide details on a product, we're left with dismantling the caddy to remove the drive (so bare drive) and plugging into an IDE>USB adapter.
This then exposes the drive to physical damage and static risks, when a small bit of effort from Numark would really help...

(yep...stick sore over this! lol)

So... I now use my DDS standalone, with an external powered HDD.

Corabar Entertainment
01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Option 1) Carry the whole case in, plug in a USB cable, ready to rock and roll. Simples.
Option2) Remove caddy. Disassemble caddy, and remove HD from caddy. Place HD in dock. Connect dock to PC. Reverse the procedure when finished. Not simples.

You pays yer money............................................. .......................

We're seeking option3) Remove caddy. Plug caddy into PC.
Not only is this option not simples, it's apparently not even remotely possible. :confused: :(Unless - as we discussed - the caddy will fit directly into the docking station, since the caddy apparently has the same connector as the HD itself :)

Excalibur
01-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Unless - as we discussed - the caddy will fit directly into the docking station, since the caddy apparently has the same connector as the HD itself :)

I apologise profusely for having overlooked the significance of your post on this matter. :o :o :(

I can foresee one possible problem, though. ;) If the caddy has an aperture designed to accept a 3.5" drive, and we encase it in a humungous great caddy............................................. ..................................................

Corabar Entertainment
01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Yes - which is why you are going to measure it when you get it, so that I can measure the slot (Was I talking to myself last night, Peter? :p )

To add: of the reviews I read about that docking station when I got it, one common comment made was that the slot was rather large for the HD...so, if the HD is a snug fit in the caddy, there's a chance! :)

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Yes - which is why you are going to measure it when you get it, so that I can measure the slot (Was I talking to myself last night, Peter? :p )

To add: of the reviews I read about that docking station when I got it, one common comment made was that the slot was rather large for the HD...so, if the HD is a snug fit in the caddy, there's a chance! :)

Probably. I must have had a flare up of my Alzheimers. :o :o :D :D :D :D Angela, I have my camera and best tape measure poised in readiness, and as soon as I have the items in my hand, piccies and dimensions will be forthcoming. ( With a following wind, it may arrive today, otherwise I confidently expect Thursday. )

As they say: Watch this space. ;) :D

Dave: I've reread your post. Your landlady's method would be excellent if we were to lash a dock into the flightcase, and slot the HD's in after updating them on one connected to the PC at home. That was one option I was trying to follow at one point.

wensleydale
02-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Unless - as we discussed - the caddy will fit directly into the docking station, since the caddy apparently has the same connector as the HD itself :)

Which is why I was thinking you might not need to move the flightcase....

Corabar Entertainment
02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Peter.... I think I may have just found the answer you're looking for:

IOMAX USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Assuming what I read about the caddy is true (ie that the connector on the back of the caddy is the same as on the HD) then you can just plug that cable in to the caddy, and the other end is USB and plugs straight in to the computer :)

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Peter.... I think I may have just found the answer you're looking for:

IOMAX USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B001A5SK56/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_text_b)

Assuming what I read about the caddy is true (ie that the connector on the back of the caddy is the same as on the HD) then you can just plug that cable in to the caddy, and the other end is USB and plugs straight in to the computer :)

If you are correct, I suspect that I and many others may be eternally indebted to you. A pparcel fitting the description has arrived at my wife's place of work ( on her day off :( :( ) so I'm off to collect it.

I'll be back. ;) :D :D

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm back. More later.

Edit: strike me pink! The caddy is only made by the company Angela was on about earlier, vipower!!

Corabar Entertainment
02-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm back. More later.

Edit: strike me pink! The caddy is only made by the company Angela was on about earlier, vipower!!

Peter... I only mentioned that via PM, but Deltic mentioned vipower on this thread too :)

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Peter... I only mentioned that via PM, but Deltic mentioned vipower on this thread too :)

Listen, at this moment, I can't remember who said what!!!:eek: :o :o

Brace yourself for some bad news Angela. I fear your elevation to sainthood will have to be postponed. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

As inferred by I think Jason, the tray doesn't have 40 pins. :( It doesn't have 44 pins. :( :( It has 50. :cry: :cry: As also mentioned earlier. Back to the drawing board.

The literature supplied with it alleges that it has a USB connector on the tray. It doesn't.And removing the drive from the caddy ain't gonna happen, cos it's screwed securely in place.

Corabar Entertainment
02-02-2011, 06:34 PM
50? :confused: What the hell sort of connection is that then? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 06:54 PM
50? :confused: What the hell sort of connection is that then? :confused: :confused: :confused:

One of these, obviously. ;) See below.

Its not a 25 way D-Type (as per old PC Parallel port) as this is not enough to carry the (40-way) IDE signal.
I can't be bothered to drag mine out, but I suspect its probably a 50-Way connector, with the extras being used for Power? (HD50 is a standard connector type for SCSI, and may be used by NuMark)

Right. First, a question. Is this the type of drive I need to insert into the :Censored: caddy?
http://cpc.farnell.com/western-digital/wd3200aajb/drive-caviar-se-320gb-eide-8mb/dp/CS15185

Second, please find below, a piccy of the caddy's rear , showing the connector, with 50 pins.

deltic
02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
maybe just maybe this type of thing
http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-to-scsi-converter-cable/32895.html

or
http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-connect-scsi-to-usb.html

Corabar Entertainment
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
One of these, obviously. ;) See below.[/url]

Second, please find below, a piccy of the caddy's rear , showing the connector, with 50 pins.Yep... just worked it out that's it's an SCSI

maybe just maybe this type of thing
http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-to-scsi-converter-cable/32895.html

or
http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-connect-scsi-to-usb.htmlYep...I found a few as well.... but they all appear to be discontinued / unavailable :confused:

Only thing I've found is this http://www.inkandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/1553/products_id/74930

BUT: From other reading, it would appear that to further confuse things, SCSI doesn't always appear to be 50-pin (I've found reference to others too - including 68-pin SCSI), and I cannot find any reference to how many pins that Belgin adapter has

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
maybe just maybe this type of thinghttp://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-to-scsi-converter-cable/32895.html

or
http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-connect-scsi-to-usb.html

Bang on mate. Sadly, it bears the legend " Discontinued.":( :(

Corabar Entertainment
02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh - just to add something to your search for a drive: during my various bits of reading, I did find out one piece of information that may have some bearing on what you purchase (depending on how the HD fits in to the caddy).

Apparently, the pins on WD IDE HDs are located in a different location to all other makes, meaning that if they have to connect to something directly (ie not via ribbon / cable which is flexible) then they probably wouldn't be your best bet :)

deltic
02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Bang on mate. Sadly, it bears the legend " Discontinued.":( :(

twas only an example,didn't look at availability,must be able to get one from somewhere.

the old mac stuff used a lot of scsi peripherals.

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh - just to add something to your search for a drive: during my various bits of reading, I did find out one piece of information that may have some bearing on what you purchase (depending on how the HD fits in to the caddy).

Apparently, the pins on WD IDE HDs are located in a different location to all other makes, meaning that if they have to connect to something directly (ie not via ribbon / cable which is flexible) then they probably wouldn't be your best bet :)

There's a fairly long ribbon in the caddy, so that shouldn't be an issue ( hopefully ). I've not found an alternative drive yet, so that WD is looking favourite, and it's from CPC also.

Edit: Still WD, but check the price and the specs. 500Gb, and 16Mb cache.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129413

Jay
02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
right then fellas a few pics of the caddy in question to see if anyone has any ideas

Megamix
02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm not inspector Morse - but surely it's a UDMA 66/100 - so something suitable to connect to that is required

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm not inspector Morse - but surely it's a UDMA 66/100 - so something suitable to connect to that is required

Sorry Inspector. The connection on the back appears to be a 50 pin SCSI, which is now apparently very outmoded. What we appear to need, is a SCSI to USB adaptor.

Megamix
02-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Sorry Inspector. The connection on the back appears to be a 50 pin SCSI,

that's why I quit the force...I fell for the red herrings - SCSI to USB cables are relatively expensive as I doubt theres a great demand for them - I stopped using SCSI years ago

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 08:50 PM
that's why I quit the force...I fell for the red herrings - SCSI to USB cables are relatively expensive as I doubt theres a great demand for them - I stopped using SCSI years ago

There's presently a huge demand for them on this forum. ;) :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
02-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Not sure you noticed my post earlier, Peter, but this is the best I can come up with. All the rest I've found seem to have been discontinued
Yep...I found a few as well.... but they all appear to be discontinued / unavailable :confused:

Only thing I've found is this http://www.inkandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/1553/products_id/74930

BUT: From other reading, it would appear that to further confuse things, SCSI doesn't always appear to be 50-pin (I've found reference to others too - including 68-pin SCSI), and I cannot find any reference to how many pins that Belgin adapter hasJust to add even FURTHER confusion, there appears to be two different types of 50-pin SCSI!!!
:bang:

I really do rather you than me on this one!

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Not sure you noticed my post earlier, Peter, but this is the best I can come up with. All the rest I've found seem to have been discontinued
Sorry. :o I did notice, I didn't check the link. I was trying to connect a euro plug to a thirteen amp socket, and a Numark drive to a Cortex. Nothing went bang, but the Numark drive is :Censored: noisy!!!!!!!Cortex reads drive as ab ATAPI DVD drive, no probs. Track numbers only, no info. :(

Angela, that seems the best hope so far.

Just to add even FURTHER confusion, there appears to be two different types of 50-pin SCSI!!!
:bang:
Oh thanks, throw a spanner in the works, why don't you? :(

I really do rather you than me on this one!
Oh yeah? What happened to " Here you go, I've had a quick look, this is what you need" ? :confused: :confused: :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Angela, many thanks for your input into this matter. It is appreciated. Sadly, it seems that Jason was not kidding when he said it was not easy. :( :(

PS, before I press "Confirm" on my CPC order, did I pick the right type of drive to go into the caddy? :confused:

Jason
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
PS, before I press "Confirm" on my CPC order, did I pick the right type of drive to go into the caddy? :confused:

Yes - its a 40-pin IDE, and will be fine.

If you're using a Desktop, and your music is also on the desktop, try to hook the new drive inside the Desktop PC for copying the music.

I've lost track if you've got a DDS? (sorry!), but if your controller wants to run any kind of libraian, then also run that when its connected to the PC via IDE.

The USB connection will not be as fast as native IDE... and if you are on DDS the librian will take ages, so overnight jobbie.

Jas

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes - its a 40-pin IDE, and will be fine.
If you're using a Desktop, and your music is also on the desktop, try to hook the new drive inside the Desktop PC for copying the music.

I've lost track if you've got a DDS? (sorry!), but if your controller wants to run any kind of libraian, then also run that when its connected to the PC via IDE.

The USB connection will not be as fast as native IDE... and if you are on DDS the librian will take ages, so overnight jobbie.

Jas

Ta mate. :beer1: And Librarian always takes ages. :( In comparison, Cortex is the blink of an eye. :D :D :D

I have a D2, but this drive is going to be linked to a Cortex 1000, mainly cos the D2 works with a portable drive, which I can remove in an instant, and I've already built the case for it. The Cortex case is not yet built, so the DDS drive is going in there. Also, the HD in the Cortex is a big desktop one, so not easily removable. That's why, like yourself, I'm trying ( apparently unsuccessfully :( :( ) to use the caddy system for portabiity.

Why is it so :Censored: difficult. :confused: :confused: :bang: :bang: :bang:

deltic
02-02-2011, 10:00 PM
i did have a solution to the problem lined up a while ago,but sold the dds before implementing it (pics below)

now i don't know if the dds caddy will fit as i never tried it,the plan was if it didn't i was going to fabricate something from the mobile rack as it provided all the donor parts that would be required,and i was going to run it external from an ide to usb thingy i already had.

Excalibur
02-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Lovely piccies, Andy. I've no idea what of, but lovely piccies. See if you can have your dinner within range of one of the two phone masts in Cumbria, you may get a call tomorrow. ;) HD expected Friday, so the solids should hit the air conditioning early Saturday.;) :D :D :D :D

DJ Jules
03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Yep... just worked it out that's it's an SCSI

Just to point out - the connector might look like a SCSI connector, but it's not. It's just the IDE connector and power brought out to a 50 pin centronics connector.

If you were feeling brave, you could in theory buy the connectors and a IDE to USB adaptor, trace the pins in the caddy through the cable and make yourself a USB to caddy adaptor. But that's really not for the faint hearted!!

For anyone who really wants to try it though, plug for the DDS caddy is here: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6741079#header

Connector for IDE is here: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6935319

Power connector : http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0471430

It also might be worth buying something like this to see what the connectors turn out as... http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Hard-Drive-Cases/sc884/p787.aspx

Julian

Excalibur
03-02-2011, 08:04 AM
The more I go into this, certain things become apparent.
1) I'm going to have to carry the case into the house. :( :( :( :( ( Or take the laptop to the case. )
2) It is without a doubt, the best idea I've ever seen, ruined by the stupidest choice of connector.
3) One or two of us are going to go and have a " frank exchange of views " with Numark at BPM. Should we go pre or post bar visit? :whistle: :D :D :D

Thanks Jules. Not a lot of help, but thanks anyway.:beer1:

Jason
03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
If you were feeling brave, you could in theory buy the connectors and a IDE to USB adaptor, trace the pins in the caddy through the cable and make yourself a USB to caddy adaptor. But that's really not for the faint hearted!!

Keep up at the back :p ;
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showpost.php?p=515257&postcount=26

Corabar Entertainment
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
This might be a very stupid question, but would it be worth chatting with a small independent computer shop/expert/enthusiast and having a custom cable made?

Jason
03-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Yes, it could be done. For a cable, its going to be about 1hr+ work to solder these (with heatshrink etc), and could be fragile if soldering the IDC cable (used on the IDE end) to the 50-Way SCSI connector. Ribbon cable generally doesn't like being soldered :-(
Then a bit for testing.

Ideally a PCB would help, and would be more rugged and seriously reduce time. I could get this designed, so it would take the 50-Way connector, and present it as 40-way IDE plug (so the USB>IDE adapters would connect). It would also need the power connector exposed.

If there is a big need, then this could be done - but would need to be a more than a few qty to be worth while.
The bare PCB would cost around £8-9 (in batches of 10), connectors around £5 (estimated), then time for soldering & testing. Its so gonna cost at least £20 if its done as a favour.

Not sure how much of a demand there is.? (apart from Peter!)

Megamix
03-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Mine turned up today, and having looked at possibilities, the quickest, cheapest for me is caddy out, screws out, into a USB cradle.

Excalibur
03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
This might be a very stupid question, but would it be worth chatting with a small independent computer shop/expert/enthusiast and having a custom cable made?
Seems logical, Angela.

Yes, it could be done. Not sure how much of a demand there is.? (apart from Peter!)
Funny you should say that. Answer further down. ;)

Mine turned up today, and having looked at possibilities, the quickest, cheapest for me is caddy out, screws out, into a USB cradle.
Luddite. :p What happened to solidarity? :confused: :D :D :D

Right, this dinnertime, I spoke to the Deltic Oracle. ( An abysmal play on words, lost on all except classical scholars. )

At one point, I actually thought I understood some of what he was telling me,but the moment soon passed. :o :o :o I have however put my name down for the rig he has constructed, and will make the journey up to Darlington to collect it, at the NADJ meet. A truly splendid chap is Andy, and I look forward to meeting some of the reprobates from the Far North of England at this event. ;) :D :D

Excalibur
04-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I have untimely ripped the package from Postie's hand,and am about to fasten drive into caddy, caddy into Numark, and Numark into Cortex. Back soon. :D

Excalibur
04-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Formatting disk. Eventually. It doesn't keep prompting enough. Why can't it just install itself? Grrrrrr.

Excalibur
05-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Well it took forever to format the HD, and now\it's taking forever and a day to load it with music. :(

A quick trial run with 42 Abba tracks loaded onto it revealed that unsurprisingly, the Cortex found two drives, a DVD one, and one with a stupidly long name!!!!It cheerfully played Abba from one side, while playing a track from a random CD on the other.

Now all I have to do is build a new case. ;)

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 09:07 AM
I have a suspicion/theory/worry/query what have you.

The D2 runs from a portable drive, and I have always considered the D2's performance sluggish, when compared to the Cortex. Until now, Ihad put this down to the D2 using a far more comprehensive library. Since copying the files from the portable drive to the DDS drive ( which I had a limited choice of, but got the second biggest and fastest I could find ) it occurs to me that perhaps the sluggishness of the D2 is not down to the file system, but the hard drive. :confused: :confused: Discuss.

The logical comparison will be to plug the DDS into the D2 and see if I perceive any speed iomprovement. ;) :confused: By jove, but this digital lark is a learning process. :eek:

Corabar Steve
06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
A quick trial run with 42 Abba tracks loaded onto it revealed that unsurprisingly, the Cortex found two drives, a DVD one, and one with a stupidly long name!!!!It cheerfully played Abba from one side, while playing a track from a random CD on the other.
Out of curiosity, how is the DVD drive part connected to / communicating with the Cortex?

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Out of curiosity, how is the DVD drive part connected to / communicating with the Cortex?

Same way as the HD does. Same port. Same cable. There's only one USB port on the drive.

Don't ask me how it knows the difference. :daft: :daft: It comes up as two completely separate sources on the Cortex, which you choose between. Exactly the same as when I had a separate stand alone external DVD drive connected.

Edit: The Alan Partridge monent! Aha! The light comes on . The penny drops. All is revealed. Don't build the drive into the case, keep it separate, and plug the USB cable into the case. Portability and compatability solved in one fell swoop. :D :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
OK, the Denon uses one of those mini din jobbies to tell it's drawers what to do.

I'm wondering if it would recognise the DVD part of the equation via USB. When are you next going to see John?

wensleydale
06-02-2011, 01:11 PM
OK, the Denon uses one of those mini din jobbies to tell it's drawers what to do.

I'm wondering if it would recognise the DVD part of the equation via USB. When are you next going to see John?

I bought one too Steve if you're ever over in this part of the world.

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm wondering if it would recognise the DVD part of the equation via USB.
Must do, surely. Everything else recognises it.

When are you next going to see John?
Soon, by the looks of things. :( This could easily cost you a :beer1: or :beer1: :beer1:

Picture worth a thousand words. See below. This is the screen when I power up the Cortex, and then the DDS drive.
The legend which my tiny screen can't display, says:
WDC-ATAPI-6 Bridge Controller

Why not simply go USB?( see edit above ) You've got about a gazillion unused ones in the new case.

I bought one too Steve if you're ever over in this part of the world.

Should we perhaps have put a bulk order in to Thomann for a van load of the little blighters? :D :D :D :D :D

wensleydale
06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Should we perhaps have put a bulk order in to Thomann for a van load of the little blighters? :D :D :D :D :D

At that price it would have been rude not to.
It's currently sitting with the digital amp and Soundcraft mixer that I don't really need either.

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 01:33 PM
At that price it would have been rude not to.
It's currently sitting with the digital amp and Soundcraft mixer that I don't really need either.

Hmmmmmm. Seems DJ's have a lot of the Magpie in them. :( :o :o :o :o :o

Steve, forgive me if I should already know the answer to this, but:
Do you have CD drawers attached to your Denon?
Do you use them?
Are you thinking that this DDS would allow CD capability, while offering another HD link?

Corabar Steve
06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Steve, forgive me if I should already know the answer to this, but:
Do you have CD drawers attached to your Denon? You should, given the discussions on patch panels we've had recently. No.

Are you thinking that this DDS would allow CD capability, while offering another HD link?Yes.

How many U are they?

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 01:57 PM
You should, given the discussions on patch panels we've had recently. No.
Excuse me, young man, but there is no correlation between the existence of CD drawers and the amount of patch panels and sockets therein!! :eek: :eek: :p :D :D

Yes. How many U are they?

Same as a Cortex 1000, 2U. The possible (probable? ) stumbling block is this bit of information not available from the Thomann advert. The depth. Are you ready for this? 310mm!!!!:eek: :eek:

Hence my thought of using it as a stand alone unit in a suitable case. ;)

Corabar Steve
06-02-2011, 02:16 PM
So you could in theory fit 2 in a 4U amp case?

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 02:30 PM
So you could in theory fit 2 in a 4U amp case?

Not only in theory, but also in practice. ;) :D They say they need adequate ventilation, but I think that would just about work.

If you were working along the Alan Partridge model, you could fit one in a custom made 2U case under one playout case, and the wireless mics i a similar one under the other playout case. ;)

Then all you'd have to do is lift the :Censored: Ultimax curtain. Grrrrrrr

Corabar Steve
06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I haven't got the foggiest idea what you're on about

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I haven't got the foggiest idea what you're on about

Blimey, I should be on teaching assistant's pay for what I do on here! :p :D :D

I'll type this slowly, so you can understand. ( and that one's older than I am. :D :D :D :D )
I have two playout cases, one Cortex/lighting, one Numark/mixer. Rather than fit a big awkward drive tray to the Cortex case, I'm considering sidestepping the portability/compatability problem, by fitting the DDS into a 2U case, and wireless mics in its twin. One sits under each playout case, necessitating raising the accursed Ultimax curtain, which is already too low, since I put my patch panels at the top of my case. Silly me. :o :o :o :o Simples. :D

Corabar Steve
06-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Ah, all becomes clear.

DJ James Lake
07-02-2011, 01:40 AM
To anyone that has ordered one of these from Thoman did it come with the hard drive caddy or did you have to order that seperately?

Excalibur
07-02-2011, 07:38 AM
To anyone that has ordered one of these from Thoman did it come with the hard drive caddy or did you have to order that seperately?

It comes with absolutely everything you could want, except an actual hard drive. Two sets of keys for the caddy. :D

deltic
15-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Problem solved see for sale section DDS Cradle

easy way of updating your dds hard drive without having to drag flight case to computer.