PDA

View Full Version : Mackies

LeapCreative
20-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi guys,

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Just been doing my weekly trawl of ebay, and spotted these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mackie-Speakers-sa1232-2-6k-PA-system-like-JBL-HK-RCF_W0QQitemZ160021292821QQihZ006QQcategoryZ47094Q QtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondered what people think of these? Seriously considering placing a bid for our main rig. Has anyone used these at all or been somwhere where they're used?

All comments welcomed :)

Cheers

soundlad
20-08-2006, 09:44 PM
They look quite poky

abyssdjhire
20-08-2006, 10:21 PM
i find them very ear piercing and tappy personally. pm for you

Nathan Fleming
20-08-2006, 10:23 PM
My everyday rig is a pair of srm450's and they sound great.

I also use the smaller brother of 1232's the SA1521's they sound absolutly awesome and have such a complete sound in my opinion.

The 1521's are really heavy and can only just be lifted by me on my own, the 1232's would defo be a 2 man carry.

I have heard one of these babies in Guildford Sound and Light and it sounded simply awesome, and Keiran the guy gave me the demo, uses a pair of them and said they are the nut's

Paul James Promotions
21-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Specifications look pretty good. With a good pair of subs, would be a nice system.

abyssdjhire
21-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Specifications look pretty good. With a good pair of subs, would be a nice system.

thats just the problem... i've always found them to be good in the specifications but a bit disapointing in reality... note the high max spl - doesnt reach it without the compression driver hurting peoples ears

shame really, as the specs are indeed quite impressive

kilmeedyman
22-08-2006, 04:18 AM
I heard these being used by a band at a gig I was sharing with them and I have to sya they completely blew me away.

Crisp, clear, well defined sound throughout the range. Superb mid-range without ripping your ears to bits with the tops.

Can't really think of a mobile disco scenario where bass cabs would be necessary with these (outside of a large installation which would need a lot more than these anyway). These babies are 50Kg each!

For the money they are at the moment, I think you would be hard pressed to get a better sound.

Abyss - I think you need your ears testing, have you really heard these speakers playing in a live situation????

If you want to hear harsh speakers, Angie, Steve, Daz and I stood in front of some earlier this year (make not mentioned) - loud they were, but they destroyed the music they were playing.

abyssdjhire
22-08-2006, 04:51 AM
kilmeedyman - yes, of course i have heard them in a "live situation", unfortunately more than once, and on every occasion they didnt do what i feel they should for their money.

if you want something to blow you away, stand infront of a full rcf 4pro rig, or even a pair of 4001A's alone.

we sold a pair not long ago to upgrade and replace mackie SA's... does that tell you anything?

Paul James Promotions
22-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I heard these being used by a band at a gig I was sharing with them and I have to sya they completely blew me away.

With no subs?

Nathan Fleming
22-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Jamie

Further to my previous comment, just realised that these are the newer versions I heard the non z's.

Yes they most certainly wouldn't need any subs they are a complete and very well balanced system.

Paul James Promotions
22-08-2006, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't want to be putting too much kick drum or bass guitar through them, especially in large venues....

Nathan Fleming
22-08-2006, 10:28 AM
OK valid point but isn't the chap who is looking to purchase these a DJ.

DMX Will
22-08-2006, 10:30 AM
there is still some kick and some bass on CD's ;)

Paul James Promotions
22-08-2006, 10:54 AM
It just seems like a waste of Mid / Hi if the bass cannot keep up....

You would be better off with a pair of compact Mid / tops and a pair of compact 18in subs.

abyssdjhire
22-08-2006, 11:41 AM
theyre better with subs.. its only a double 12" cab, whether it responds down to 38hz or not. 12" driver physically doesnt move enough air

Corabar Entertainment
22-08-2006, 11:41 AM
If you want to hear harsh speakers, Angie, Steve, Daz and I stood in front of some earlier this year (make not mentioned) - loud they were, but they destroyed the music they were playing.God... isn't that the truth! :omg: :omg: :eek:

abyssdjhire
22-08-2006, 11:46 AM
bearing in mind that anyone can make the worlds greatest system sound harsh if they dunno what they're doing - running your amps at full is just the start of that :p

Corabar Steve
23-08-2006, 10:16 AM
If you want to hear harsh speakers, Angie, Steve, Daz and I stood in front of some earlier this year (make not mentioned) - loud they were, but they destroyed the music they were playing.
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :zip: :zip: :zip:

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2006, 11:53 AM
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :zip: :zip: :zip:

Aha. :)