PDA

View Full Version : Current playout laptop OS

Mark Wild
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm on the verge of going back to XP Pro from Vista and was curious to what everyone else is using at the moment.

Daryll
03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Stripped down XP , has been extremely stable for me for years.

Daryll

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Vistas u/s in my opinion,Itried it 2 laptops same on the kitchen table playing music...vista 76 processes cpu 80percent
xp 19 processes cpu 14 per cent
I rest my case!
most of my DJ Machines are clapped out cast offs and run XP wonderfully
When i got made redundant 2.5 years ago i went and bought a high spec Vista Laptop which utimately ended up as a Kitchen table e mail checker as it was totally u/s for DJ ing....
Of late im now using Panasonic TOUGHBOOKS and im most pleased with em all
ive a CF-71 a CF-27 and my new baby a touch screen CF-29
Cheers

Alchemy
03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I was very happy with XP but my new lappy had Windows 7 already installed. I have had no problems at all with 7.

DeckstarDeluxe
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
I think thats the right move Mark. Vista I've never really had issues with but xp takes alot less resources to run.

New PO lappy has windows 7 on which is just as good as xp (from a djing only POV)

hammy
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
I only use laptop for karaoke and have no probs whatsoever with win7

dj keevers
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
i use all 3 operating systems with virtual DJ and never have major problems

Glenski
03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Windows XP & Win 7 for me (dual boot setup)

Charlie Brown
03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
XP for 3 years.

I have no intention of changing. However, I'm looking at getting a new laptop for office/home use...I wouldn't get anything else but Windows 7.

Excalibur
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
From what little I understand, I believe Vista is a bloated unwieldy system, but I have to say it has worked fine for me. I was very very happy with XP.

simonp
03-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Mac OSX for me :D

Jason
03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Only starting to use PC's again, did NYE/NYDay gigs on Laptop with Vista, VMS4 (controller), and VDJ7pro.
No problems. Vista has been trimmed down, and running stable for me. I also had a Netbook for backup (with Netbook Skin for VDJ7 and drivers for VMS4.
That also runs ok - but does my eyes in..

Looking for see if I can use Linux with Mixxx with the VMS4 - as this may be pretty stable... with a trimmed down Linux Kernel and greatly reduced clutter.

I don't use either for anything other than DJing, so unless its required for the OS or VDJ to function, its disabled (includes Wifi, Network and Windows Updates)

DazzyD
03-02-2011, 10:15 PM
The Toshiba was running Vista before it died last year. The new Compaq had Windows 7 Home installed so I've run with that for now. I've not experienced any problems (yet!) so I'm happy as things are.

Ecstatic Events
04-02-2011, 08:26 AM
XP - Solid as a crumbly rock!

mattydinx
04-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Windows XP at the moment, but switching to mac when I get my new controller :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm on the verge of going back to XP Pro from Vista

How come?

Mark Wild
04-02-2011, 11:10 AM
How come?

As my lappy is and always has been solely for VDJ, I want the lightest OS possible for stability, I don't need any bells n' whistles :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-02-2011, 11:14 AM
As my lappy is and always has been solely for VDJ, I want the lightest OS possible for stability, I don't need any bells n' whistles :)

Understood, but is it working at the moment?

Steve Cheese
04-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I started on an old lappy running Windows 2000 pro, but for years I have been on XP without any problems whatsoever.

Mark Wild
04-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Understood, but is it working at the moment?

Yes, but not at zero latency and that's what I'm looking to get (or near as damnit)

DJ Tony McQue
04-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I found Vista pretty hopeless for most audio work as it is such an intrusive OS, even disabling the UAC control still gives you annoying messages. It is a very bulky operating system that can be intensive even on high spec laptops. We had Microsoft create the build for my workplace and even the Microsoft chap who did all the work said it was not a great OS.

XP - I still use a stripped down version of it on my backup netbook and it runs sweet. My MC6000 runs fine on it too even horsing the effects and with the key lock set to high quality.

Win7 - I use this with a 2 yer old Dell Studio 1537 which are notorious for having audio issues (almost 6 months of googling and forum chat resolved this). Again I did a fresh install of WIn 7 and removed just about every windows component, switched off aero and set the performance settings to high. I use this with my MC6000, ADJ DP2 controller or NI Audio 4 soundcard with either Traktor Pro and Virtual DJ - no problems other than the case starting to fall to bits..

Mac - Would love one but my chosen career path means I must work with Windows.

DJ Tony McQue
04-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, but not at zero latency and that's what I'm looking to get (or near as damnit)

I wouldn't go lower than 2.5ms if you are using the MC6000, it has to pipe audio and midi data down one cable which is a lot of information. If you haven't tried it already, DPC latency checker is a great took for seeing what your system can handle. It also helped me trace which devices to disable to stop the constant clicking and crackling I was getting on my laptop. It turns out it was my ACPI battery driver of all things! Disabled = months of issue solved.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

djdave01
04-02-2011, 12:44 PM
been using win7 on the newest laptop for about 6 months now, with no problems

turned off all the extras and have it set on high performance.

previous to that i ran xp for years with no windows related problems at all.