PDA

View Full Version : whats more stable numark DDS or cortex units

chrispeacock
05-02-2011, 07:52 PM
my mate has a DDS and say his crashes a bit but its just a back up. my cortex has had crashing issues aswel.

does anyone use these as their main playout or just backups

Excalibur
05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
my mate has a DDS and say his crashes a bit but its just a back up. my cortex has had crashing issues aswel.

does anyone use these as their main playout or just backups

Oh yuss. Doesn't everyone? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Excalibur
05-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I must stop being so flippant. :( One day somebody's not going to spot that I'm joking.

If a DDS is crashing, you've got to suspect a hard drive fault. It's possibly going to sleeep if not used. Or a Library fault. Pretty unlikely for the unit to have a glitch.

The Cortex isn't as bulletproof, but it is stable. Very stable. If it's fed good stuff.

I wouldn't personally use only one machine for a disco though. It must be two, so that you can change direction, or work from one while rebooting the other.

chrispeacock
05-02-2011, 08:40 PM
i heard somewhere that the numark d2 director is a better option even though its older

hammy
05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
No trouble with the Cortex here ;)

chrispeacock
05-02-2011, 08:57 PM
i know my mate tried using his external drive he uses for his laptop on the DDS so could be the file types on there thats causing it to crash then.

i know mine is definately the file types

hammy - do you use yours as the main playout

DJ James Lake
05-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Never had any issues with my D2. Mine is used for background music and backup running of an external hard drive.

Booche
05-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Ive never had any issues with my Cortex HDC1000 but as a back up i do take my laptop but again ive never had ANY issues with either think you may need to look at what your plugging in as i plug my external hdd into my laptop and on the cortex i have 2 memory stick 1x8gb (on top) and 1x4gb (underneath) and to this day no issues what so ever so again id look at what your plugging in and see if there is any errors mate.

Creature
06-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Cortex is rock solid for me - do still use me denon decks, but at some bookings teh cortex is now doing 90% of teh work.

if it keeps crashing then you have a problem - all have been discussed extensively on here.

1. power - if you are drawing too much power from the mains or mains is unstable then this will affect teh cortex big time.

2. the harddrive - some drives just dont appear to work at all or reliably - all you can do is try another or read old threads on here. - to help see if this is the issue - use a memory stick with KNOWN good NON VBR mp3s or wav files.

3. the Files themselves - VBR is not liked at all by the cortex - some it will play some wont, some will start then freeze. its very important you check each file carefully - oh do teh tags whilst your at itt.

4. The Harddrive must be POWERED ( not USB powered either)

5. its worth destroying the partition and recreating it and doing a full format

sure others will add to this

Corabar Steve
06-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Here we go again :sj:

hammy
06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
hammy - do you use yours as the main playout

Yes buddy my hdc 1000 is my main playout and back up is my laptop

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Cortex is rock solid for me - do still use me denon decks, but at some bookings teh cortex is now doing 90% of teh work.

if it keeps crashing then you have a problem - all have been discussed extensively on here.

1. power - if you are drawing too much power from the mains or mains is unstable then this will affect teh cortex big time.

2. the harddrive - some drives just dont appear to work at all or reliably - all you can do is try another or read old threads on here. - to help see if this is the issue - use a memory stick with KNOWN good NON VBR mp3s or wav files.

3. the Files themselves - VBR is not liked at all by the cortex - some it will play some wont, some will start then freeze. its very important you check each file carefully - oh do teh tags whilst your at itt.

4. The Harddrive must be POWERED ( not USB powered either)

5. its worth destroying the partition and recreating it and doing a full format

sure others will add to this
Not much. ;) All first rate advice. :thumbs_up:

Here we go again :sj:

Watch it Sonny, I'd read all the Cortex threads I could, now that the company have finally seen the light, and upgraded from the Denons. :p :D :D :D :D

I'll keep you all posted as to the progress of my Numark/Cortex\hybrid, once it goes on the road. ( Translation: Once I've built another new case )