PDA

View Full Version : DMX Lighting

jwpentgroup
24-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm quite interested in DMX lighting.. but i'm a complete newbie and don't have a clue where to start.

http://www.prolight.co.uk/images/products/movies/343_4.wmv

I found this video from another disco website as a demo to what lights they use. Any ideas what these lights are called? (model)

How are DMX lights controlled?

Any advice will be appreciated.

lightspeed
24-08-2006, 07:25 PM
The lights in the video are Prolight I-Rock 7S Scanners. Think they're the discharge ones. For these particular ones (or any light in the I-solution range) Prolight make a nifty controller called an i-lead integration controller (http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=345) . Alternatively you could use any other universal DMX controller (http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=593) or just link them up and have them running sound to light.

Hope this helps.

- Chris

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 08:18 PM
DMX (digital multiplex) is a protocol (language) that some disco lights "speak and understand". The fixtures (lights) listen out for signal instructions on their selected channels (which you select for each different fixture). A DMX controller (of which many are available for disco use) sends signals down a dmx line to the lights. Most DJ controllers have about 128-256 control channels available, which is plenty, considering your average DJ lantern has 3-5 control channels.

You wire your lights up in a daisy chain

DMX Controller Out > Fixture 1 IN > OUT > Fixture 2 IN > Out > Fixture 3 IN > OUT >
and so on...
Standard DMX connections are in the form of 5 or 3 pin XLR. Although most (99.9%) of disco related fixtures use the standard 3 pin).

The advantage
Your lights can be programmed to work with each other, even if they are of different brand and model. By this I mean you can select all your lights to be red or strobe etc etc at the same time, enhancing the general look of your lighting rig.

I personally wouldn't buy anything that isn't DMX, although there are plenty that would. Bottom line is, DMX is becoming much more widely used, not just in mobile discos, and its good to keep up with the industry. :)

lightspeed
24-08-2006, 08:29 PM
:shade:

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 08:39 PM
:shade:
care to explain? lol :teeth: :teeth:

jwpentgroup
24-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks,

DMX Will you know alot of a 17 year old! Impressive :beer:

Can you recommend any 'cheaper' DMX lights that are good?

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks,

DMX Will you know alot of a 17 year old! Impressive :beer:

Can you recommend any 'cheaper' DMX lights that are good?

What do you consider "cheaper" and is it cheaper to buy lasting quality, or cheaper not so-long lasting?

jwpentgroup
24-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Ummm...?

Just after a more affordable DMX lighting. Obviously decent quality and output.

DMX Will
24-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm personally a fan of the acme winners and acme rovers:

Winners - http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=40

Rovers - http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=39

both are in a scanner form, the winner being flat mirror and the rover being the identical barrel version. These lanterns kick out a fair amount of light, and are 250w each. Five DMX control channels, and have a seperate colour and gobo wheel (meaning you can have every gobo every colour) which is something you don't see on all cheaper DMX scanners.

You can pick these up for £135-£150 each.

Although buying in pairs is highly recommended. If you want two, that come with a good flightcase, may I recommend CPC.

Winners - http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=DP29029

Rovers - http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=DP29021

If you speak with Lee (MDD Forum Username "Shockwave"), he will be able to get you a nice discount. PM him for more details.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info, let me know :)

Have a disco
24-08-2006, 11:15 PM
basic sound to light per teen dancer HMMM not required sound to light lights works every time as the dimmer the better these days

with the R & B scene been going mental for over 10 years have found that they prefer to grind in a very poorly lit room IE only 2 lights Scanners as an example it dont really matter how much lights you take its about making them look good when on the dance floor I take me UV and 2 lights sometimes foam machine dependant n there age

DMX Will
25-08-2006, 12:58 AM
basic sound to light per teen dancer HMMM not required sound to light lights works every time as the dimmer the better these days
Sorry...what!?

LeapCreative
25-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Ditto :embarasse

From what i can make out:

1. Basic sound to light per teen dancer? - Even though i don't have the foggiest what to make of that, ill try: Even teenagers will appreciate a good light show, hence the benefits of DMX lighting.

EG: Strobe effects, whilst not often used in discos for older generations, could go down really well with teenagers. Similarly, controlling soft, ambient and slow lighting will be of more use to discos for an older generation than teenagers, as not many teenagers enjoy a good slow dance. DMX allows you to use the same light fixtures, for multiple applications, and that is their main selling point in my opinion.

2. Dimmer the better - ok i dont get that at all. With venue managers constantly insisting on having house lights left on, surely we need to get brighter lights?

Sorry if ive interpreted that incorrectly, but i did my best :teeth:

Cheers

lightspeed
25-08-2006, 12:24 PM
care to explain? lol :teeth: :teeth:

Just thought what you said was rather cool. :teeth:

DMX Will
25-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Just thought what you said was rather cool. :teeth:
Oh right! Cheers :teeth: :embarasse

Have a disco
25-08-2006, 01:34 PM
with the R & B scene been going mental for over 10 years have found that they prefer to grind in a very poorly lit room IE only 2 lights Scanners as an example it dont really matter how much lights you take its about making them look good when on the dance floor I take me UV and 2 lights sometimes foam machine dependant n there age

LeapCreative
25-08-2006, 01:46 PM
My point exactly. Its nothing to do with quantity of lights, its all about the effect you can produce with them. My point being that its easier to create a desired effect, if you have more control over what the lights do.

On a personal note, ive always thought that if you're looking for DMX lights, start small, get a good deal, and aim to spend about £300 - £400 for some good quality, robust lights. For that price, you should get a couple of gobo flowers and possibly a couple of scanners.

Always good :)

dj_ags
25-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Well thats it, you can now get quality DMX lighting for affordable prices.

For example, you can get a pair of NJD Datamoons for around £210 i think, and as well with the addition of the four head Acme Dynamo system, ready to go with DMX cables and controller for around £350...these two effects to name a few!

Obviously you can spend more, but for around £600, you can get a stunning light show that you can encorporate into your roadshow :cool:

DMX Will
25-08-2006, 02:44 PM
*opens cpc catalogue which has now arrived*

for £215 ex VAT, you can get

2x NJD Datamoons w/ controller and all cables IN a flightcase

total cost being (with VAT) £252.63 :thumbs_up

jwpentgroup
28-08-2006, 12:35 PM
What's the difference between a scanner and a barrel?

And which would you recommend?

I've been looking at Acme Rover Scanner Barrel & the Acme Scimitar Scanner Barrel . Which do you prefere best? They also do a scanner version.

:)

DMX Will
28-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Scanner - Single beam, flat mirror only one gobo at a time is projected.

Barrel - Several beam, many mirrors on a barrel, so the barrel spins x (sometimes y as well) You get the same gobo 5-7 times projected at once, because there are several smaller mirrors on the barrel.

I hope that makes sense :S

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 01:11 PM
and unless you buy a decent one, barrels are noticably dimmer than scanners.

jwpentgroup
28-08-2006, 07:02 PM
What does everyone prefere?

They come with 250watt bulbs.

Paul James Promotions
28-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Depends on how many you have.

Barrels look good in singles and pairs, where as you need to have 4 scanners to get a good effect.

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 07:10 PM
its not really a case of what people prefer.. it all comes down to how much you want to spend

edit - i thought you were on about which bulbs people prefer

DMX Will
28-08-2006, 07:23 PM
and unless you buy a decent one, barrels are noticably dimmer than scanners.

pesonally I wouldn't worry, they still pretty bright, so don't make your decission on brightness, when it comes down to it, you might not even notice.

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 07:31 PM
have to disagree - you definately notice. however, it is indeed still plenty bright enough, so not worth bothering about :)

a pair of scanners and either a single or pair of barrels is the best option.

DMX Will
28-08-2006, 07:37 PM
a pair of everything, keep it symmetrical

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 07:45 PM
bearing budget in mind, thats not always possible. besides, we use a pair of madscans and a madspin in the center, and it looks fine. an extra spin would be great, but theres nothing wrong with it as it is now

DMX Will
28-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Abyss,

Just noticed you sell the Funky moving head range. What are they like, brightness/optics/colour and gobo quality in relation with the Acme Knight spots?

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 08:18 PM
without saying too much, we've never sold one... in all honesty, we've never sold much of the funky stuff.

from what i've HEARD, they're very good.. a little flimsy in places but decent. in theory they should be good, although many of their features are next to useless to you as a dj.

brightness and colour wise, they can only really be as bright as a 250w halogen lamp will be. aparently, the optics are excellent... but that is indeed according to funky. gobos are pretty much the norm.

if you're looking at moving heads, the spot knight TYPE things are pretty good for their money. we sell a few different versions of them, and we've never had a problem - they are genuinely good value heads.

personally, i wouldnt buy them though, i'd spend a little bit more and go for futurelight discharge heads, which are superb. come to think of it, i need to update the site to include their stuff, as we just got a direct account with them.