PDA

View Full Version : Hercules 4mx or american audio vms4

Jay
20-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Has anyone had a go of either of the above, I've narrowed it down to these two units but can only go off online reviews as the nearest dj shop is over an hour away.

The vms4 is a analogue mixer two which is an obvious bonus but apparantly hasn't got the best built in sound card.

I'm swaying towards the vms4 really but just thought I'd see if anyone had any extra info to give?

Thanks
James

Jason
20-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I've got VMS4;
Feels nice, decent size job wheels that give fine control.
Its also an analog mixer, so doesn't need a PC- useful when the PC fails.
Mine came with a flight-case for a very good price (I'm a club member);
http://www.rsdmusic.com/products.asp?prodid=1833&catid=167&mcatid=163

This comes with VDJ7 le. I paid around £100 to upgrade to VDJ7pro, and have installed on netbook as well as laptop (as their licence allows 2 copies to be installed).

Bad news;
Mic inputs are far too hot. I tried 3 mics here, the best was a £10 budget one (probably lower output), but all distort badly with mic gain turned right down and flat eq.
There are 2 mic inputs.

ADJ have known about this problem since at least October, and their "fix" is to supply 1 attenuator (which is reported to work).
I'm very upset over this, considering the work that goes into a product like this, its almost criminal that a product is released with this problem - ADJ also sell mixers, and I assume their Mixers don't have this problem!

I'm still awaiting anything from the retailer, but have ordered my own attenuator, separately from another retailer (about £12 on Amazon).

So a nice bit of kit... its NOT 19" wide, (but the VMS2 may be!), but the width is not a problem, and its a joy to use in "bedroom DJ mode", but until I have working mics, I'll not be gigging it.
I've got a laptop stand, and will be looking to use it with an external effects box (reverb) for Karaoke, and probably gigs where I need to mix a bit more than normal.

Sound quality does not appear to be a problem, I'm not noticing any problems. I would recommend using the mains power supply (it can be USB powered).
There is lots of info on the VMS4 forum.

The other alternatives are the Denon6000 which looks great, but is more £££.

No experience with the Herc - sorry!

Jay
20-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks that's some great info, I opted for the vms4, it's the mixer that swayed me and for 325 from thomann it's a bargain. No idea on what to do forvs cases though, I am quite tempted to get one of the big protective bags that carries both the controller and laptop All in one.

I just don't like the idea of the cases where there is a draw that slides back behind the controller it seems like it would be sticking right out and could topple it over/be knocked into easily.

Jason
20-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Jay,
I'll be testing my mic attenuator, this should be here in the next few days.
If it works, I'll report back. American Audio should be providing 1 for each unit, but the unit I've found is about £10ea, so not a big problem.
http://www.dhwelectronics.com/Line_Matching_Transformers_004002400030/G132C_Metal_Professional_Dual_Impedance_Microphone _Matching_Transformer
Shure do one for much more... The downside is you lose the ballanced signal, so can't have long mic cables..

The Mic problem is a shame, as the rest is fine, and it works fine with VDJ - I've even had a play in 4-deck mode.

I wanted a flight-case - most of my other gear is cased and still in very good condition, a bag wouldn't offer the same level of protection.

I've used it for Karaoke - a mates CDG player+discs, my mic effects unit, both into 2 inputs on the mixer. On the night, I needed to use the Karaoke mics for announcements as the build-in mic inputs had the distortion..

Cheers,
Jason

Jay
22-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Great info thanks,

I got mine coming from Thomann now for £325 and when it arrives i'll request the free fix AA are offering for the mics.

Will report back when it arrives.

:beer1:

Jay
15-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Well, I received the vms4 and overall I do like it, the build quality seems sturdy and all the buttons/jog wheels work well.

As noted above the mic inputs do distort terribly, I received 2 of the little attentuator things but have no idea how to use them lol, I have wireless mica so just normally plug the xlr cables into each mic inputs but these attentuator things it doesn't match up, it's as if i'm going to have to get a same ended xlr cable, is that right?

AndyC
05-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi Jay,
I'll be testing my mic attenuator, this should be here in the next few days.
If it works, I'll report back. American Audio should be providing 1 for each unit, but the unit I've found is about £10ea, so not a big problem.
http://www.dhwelectronics.com/Line_Matching_Transformers_004002400030/G132C_Metal_Professional_Dual_Impedance_Microphone _Matching_Transformer
Shure do one for much more... The downside is you lose the ballanced signal, so can't have long mic cables..

The Mic problem is a shame, as the rest is fine, and it works fine with VDJ - I've even had a play in 4-deck mode.

I wanted a flight-case - most of my other gear is cased and still in very good condition, a bag wouldn't offer the same level of protection.

I've used it for Karaoke - a mates CDG player+discs, my mic effects unit, both into 2 inputs on the mixer. On the night, I needed to use the Karaoke mics for announcements as the build-in mic inputs had the distortion..

Cheers,
Jason

Sorry to bring this up again but do these mic attenuators work?
and have you used the unit at a gig and how did it perform i'mthinking of buying on but the lack of info on the mic problem is putting me off, any thoughts?

Andy