PDA

View Full Version : Possible new laptop.

Excalibur
21-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Brace yourselves folks, cos if we get this bit sorted, the next bit will be how to strip the old one.

Right, so I've got a three year old Laptop on lease. Only three months left till term, so I'm looking to buy it outright, and lease a new one in its place. Now choosing the new one isn't too tricky, for budet and availability in store will limit the options. Also, I shan't need a high spec model, cos it will mainly be used to download tracks, surf the web, and a touch of word processing.

What I need to know is if there's a good easy cheap way simply to transfer all files and programs from the old one to the new one so that they all still work? If I can do that OK, then I can fit a new HD in the old one, install a bare system, and use it only as a gig machine.

Excalibur
22-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Well the silence on this one is deafening. :D :D :D :D :D

Just to update, it appears that buying the old one and leasing a new one is financially no problem, so just the software to get round.

Any info gratefully received.

Cowlinn
22-02-2011, 05:04 PM
If only you had a time machine :whistle:

Corabar Entertainment
22-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Transferring files is a tedious, but easy process.

Transferring programs in a pain in the proverbial, Peter!

(I should know, I'm doing it at the moment :p )

In theory, the previously talked about docking station should be able to 'clone' the drive and transfer the programs, but being one of the few people still around who has never even opened up the case of a computer, the prospect of removing the drive terrifies me!

Therefore, I trying to move as much over BEFORE I do that.

Try this (http://www.pickmeapp.com/) to move over some of the programs (works well on those it recognises, but doesn't recognise everything by a long way). It's very user-friendly. I first tried this and transferred over what I could.

The next thing I am doing is re-install those I still have the sofware/links/licence keys for.

My last solution will be to get the docking station out. By that time, I should hopefully have most transferred over anyway and I will therefore feel less scared about using it!

:lol:

If anyone else has any simple, better ideas, I'd be interested in the answers too! :D

Excalibur
22-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Many thanks for that, Angela, and for what it's worth, good luck in your endeavours.

Poor simple deluded fool that I am, I was more looking at the £20 cables from Maplins and the like, which claim to move everything safely with one mouse click.

Something tells me it's not going to be that simple, is it? :confused: :( :( :( :( :( :(

Rowleys
22-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Moving files like mp3 and movies and other stuff is simple get your self a crossover network cable and make a little network on the 2 laptop and copy over job done.

Copy your programs are a little hard but if you using the same system make sure the user names as the same and backup on one computer copy back up to other computer on the network and restore backup job done :D

Excalibur
25-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Well here's a little notice that I'll soon be needing help, and a little update on getting a new machine.
I've been quoted £96 to buy the old laptop outright at the end of my term.

I get a cashback voucher for upgrading the old Laptop.

It's apparently going to be worth £90. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reeeeeeeeeeeeesult. ;)

hammy
25-02-2011, 08:31 PM
If you are going to be using the same system then get hirens boot cd http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and use the norton ghost to a usb stick then swap hard drives and transfer it vise versa, Voila all programs and files transfered successfully.

I would also get HBCD for loads of other things and it has got me out the :Censored: :Censored: many a time from crashed hard drive to mbr missing

Excalibur
25-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Moving files like mp3 and movies and other stuff is simple get your self a crossover network cable and make a little network on the 2 laptop and copy over job done.

Copy your programs are a little hard but if you using the same system make sure the user names as the same and backup on one computer copy back up to other computer on the network and restore backup job done :D

If you are going to be using the same system then get hirens boot cd http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and use the norton ghost to a usb stick then swap hard drives and transfer it vise versa, Voila all programs and files transfered successfully.

I would also get HBCD for loads of other things and it has got me out the :Censored: :Censored: many a time from crashed hard drive to mbr missing

Look lads, thanks and all that, but is there any chance of posting this sort of thing in English? :daft: :daft: :daft:

Old lappy is Vista,new one is 7. No idea at all if that matters. :confused: Also, I only need to shift the important bits to the new one, cos I'm going to strip the old one down to the bare essentials.

hammy
25-02-2011, 09:15 PM
copy and paste everything on to a usb stick then copy on to other hard drive

Excalibur
25-02-2011, 09:40 PM
copy and paste everything on to a usb stick then copy on to other hard drive

Aha! I understood that bit. ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Jay
01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
windows has a built in "easy transfer wizard", why not just run that? you just run it on your old machine and select the "old pc" box, then run it on your new machine n select "new pc" button and it will transfer all your files over.

You still need a flash drive/external harddrive to transport the files but at least you don't have to trawl through all your folders looking for things you might need.

Corabar Entertainment
01-03-2011, 02:35 PM
As I said, files are easy.... but not the programs

Jay
01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
yeah thats right,

I have found that in the long run its just better to have a fresh start with programs, as opposed to trying to copy programs across.

Plus the fact that you may find your trying to transport programs over that you might not actually use.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
01-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Now that must be good advice from a Microsoft Certified Professional!
Im really enjoying DJing with my New(to me)
Toughbook!...i,m keeping it well away from the internet and so far
its brilliant.....im Djing on it now!!!!
i,m most pleased with it.
Dave

Excalibur
02-03-2011, 06:28 AM
yeah thats right,

I have found that in the long run its just better to have a fresh start with programs, as opposed to trying to copy programs across.

Plus the fact that you may find your trying to transport programs over that you might not actually use.
In actual fact, that would appear to be excellent advice, and very probably almost exactly what will happen. There isn't half some stuff on the old one which has never/hardly ever been used. :eek: :o :o :o :o :o

!
Im really enjoying DJing with my New(to me)
Toughbook!...i,m keeping it well away from the internet and so far
its brilliant.....im Djing on it now!!!!i,m most pleased with it.
Dave
There was a time when I would have decried such practices as being the thin end of the wedge, and having no place in the repertoire of the serious, conscientious and proper DJ. ;)

However, since I'm planning to strip the old one down and have the facility to be a laptop DJ, I can no longer hold the moral high ground, and must therefore hang my head in shame! :o :o :o :o :o :o