PDA

View Full Version : DDS Drive-There Are No Connected Devices

Megamix
28-02-2011, 03:39 PM
I bought from Thomann the DDS drive recently.

CD works fine and reads, USB works fine and reads but I can't get the hard drive to read.
'There Are No Connected Devices...please insert media'

Using FAT 32 and used Librarian, only one test folder with <100 MP3s in.

Tried another HD in spare caddy prepared with Librarian (although NTFS) as well.

Connecting via USB to DDS controller at back

Locking the drive as instructed.

Am I missing something?

TIA

deltic
28-02-2011, 04:06 PM
the first time and after using librarian it can take a minute or to to read the drive

plug it in have a cuppa and then go back

Megamix
28-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I think I could go to India and pick the tea leaves by the time this unit responds. I've left it on for the past hour.
:mad:
With my USB sticks it sees the stick and then the files and have been using that happily.
With this HD unit it doesn't even recognise the fact its there.

deltic
28-02-2011, 04:48 PM
try swapping the usb cable

i had the same problem wouldn't read hd,was only by accident i left it plugged in while i took the dog out,when i came back it had found it.

but i did notice whenever i ran it through librarian it took longer for the dds to read it initially.

or use the other usb port on the back

Megamix
28-02-2011, 05:02 PM
:angry: :cry: I got all excited at the idea of the USB cable swap...but alas it didn't work.
Tried all ports.

deltic
28-02-2011, 05:13 PM
plug the drive unit into your computer instead of the dds can you read the drive now?

Megamix
28-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I can read both discs fine on my mac - I'm gonna format on a PC and try that -just in case theres an issue - but have used mac to format the usb sticks without problems.

Excalibur
28-02-2011, 05:57 PM
the first time and after using librarian it can take a minute or to to read the drive

Or use the machine guaranteed to see it immediately, shake hands, and invite it in for a cuppa : Cortex. :D :D :D :D :D

try swapping the usb cable

i had the same problem wouldn't read hd,was only by accident i left it plugged in while i took the dog out,when i came back it had found it.

but i did notice whenever i ran it through librarian it took longer for the dds to read it initially.

or use the other usb port on the back I've not tried the one on the front for connecting it to a HDC, I only used it as a reader for a stick.

I can read both discs fine on my mac - I'm gonna format on a PC and try that -just in case theres an issue - but have used mac to format the usb sticks without problems.
Aha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bet it works after that. ;)

deltic
28-02-2011, 06:00 PM
dds should read HTFS+(mac extended),FAT32 or NTFS

Megamix
28-02-2011, 06:05 PM
thanks Excalibur for the Cortex vote of confidence...alas I had issues with the Cortex I owned so can't share your enthusiasm. In fact it put me off controllers and drove me to a laptop - this DDS is just a backup (which works on USB, CD but not HD - Aaaah!)

Megamix
28-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Well I've connected a drive to a caddy and connected via USB (not via the built in connector) and it works. So I conclude the connector at the back isn't engaging or working correctly.
Hmmm...Is it worth sending back to Thomann, I've heard I lose out on postage costs...but surely I'm protected by EU selling rules. Oh well, let's find out...

Megamix
01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh well Thomann sent me a returns label...which was nice

chrispeacock
02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
are they sending you another one aswel.

my dds drive unit and HD connect up fine to the cortex

Megamix
03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
I've asked for a refund as its just within 30 days, but if they replace it I'm Ok with that too. the extra weight and the hd issues have left me wondering if its such a bargain - it's only a backup and I was using 16gb sticks which were fine.
The DDS was fine - it seemed to me just to be the cradle to DDS HD/CD drive unit issue.

Excalibur
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I've asked for a refund as its just within 30 days, but if they replace it I'm Ok with that too. the extra weight and the hd issues have left me wondering if its such a bargain - it's only a backup and I was using 16gb sticks which were fine.
The DDS was fine - it seemed to me just to be the cradle to DDS HD/CD drive unit issue.

Deltic's selling something you can put in a spare PC bay to accept the caddy, for £20. See for sale.

Megamix
03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
thanks Excalibur, bought that already but it’s the connection at the back of the DDS case - I've used the caddy via USB and it works, so I feel it’s the DDS

Excalibur
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
thanks Excalibur, bought that already but it’s the connection at the back of the DDS case - I've used the caddy via USB and it works, so I feel it’s the DDS

Err, sorry, we were at cross purposes there. Ithoughty you were questioning the future usability of the caddy, not the docking part of it. I'm sort of at a loss to understand how it fails to work, presumably either it's connected , or it isn't. Guess yours isn't. :(