PDA

View Full Version : Ripping music to PCDJ

Sapphire Disco
27-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Since loading my music to my second laptop I have discovered a few problems,

1. The 20 tracks that I ripped on windows media player keep on jumping out of their specific folder and reverting back to their original folder, after I had transferred them, not a big problem on new laptop cause there is only about 20, but on my first laptop there is about 150 or so I have to keep putting them back in. In future i will only rip through PCDJ programme that should sort that one out.

2. When I decided to download i tunes it knocked out all the music I had downloaded from other providers, this was cured by deleting i tunes and not using it again.

Has anyone else come against any sort of problems like this ? how have you over come them ?
Do you have any tips on ripping to make it easier or quicker ?

DMX Will
27-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Since loading my music to my second laptop I have discovered a few problems,

1. The 20 tracks that I ripped on windows media player keep on jumping out of their specific folder and reverting back to their original folder, after I had transferred them, not a big problem on new laptop cause there is only about 20, but on my first laptop there is about 150 or so I have to keep putting them back in. In future i will only rip through PCDJ programme that should sort that one out.

2. When I decided to download i tunes it knocked out all the music I had downloaded from other providers, this was cured by deleting i tunes and not using it again.

Has anyone else come against any sort of problems like this ? how have you over come them ?
Do you have any tips on ripping to make it easier or quicker ?

With regards to WMP:

Don't rip your CDs to the "My Music" Folder, create a seperate music folder in say C:\Music, or better still if you have two drives/partitions, put it on another drive, and this will save re-ripping should windows "go wrong" in anytime of its life. Another point to note is, don't rip in windows media player format (*.wma) its not the best and could explain some skipping in 3rd party software. You can change both the ripping location and the file type in Tools > Options.

The same thing with iTunes, don't store your music in the "My Music" folder, as this is stored in the C:\Documents and Settings folder, where your profile is stored, if windows balls up your profile (which can happen for a variety of reasons including "it randomly feels like it"), it's going to block you from your music and documents should you create another account and try and access it.

So storing your music in another global folder, will stop any program like iTunes, thinking its allowed to delete your music, and also stop windows from blocking you out, should the worst happen to your profile/user account.