PDA

View Full Version : Why do we charge more for wedding bookings

soundmaster mobile disco
03-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I was asked the question the other day."why do you charge more for doing a wedding"?

compared to other events.

I did a 30th birthday party last year for a girl,she is getting married later this year so came back to me for the disco.when i gave her my price,i was asked "why do i charge more for weddings"

What would your reply be?

NKR
03-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't charge more for weddings.

Why would you? It is no more work than any other event.

spin mobile disco
03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't.

Charlie Brown
03-03-2011, 05:44 PM
My prices are practically double for weddings.

Admittedly, there is a lot more work involved.

- Most 16 year olds don't request a consultation about their 16th- B&G's do.

There are normally more requirements, music requests and things to take into account when doing a wedding.

Sounds bad, but I think I make more effort at weddings in regards to my appearance and 'can do' attitude...'certainly sir' blah blah blah.

AND - I know I can charge more for weddings, which is bad but it's the way the world goes round.

funkymook
03-03-2011, 05:48 PM
My prices are mainly worked out on duration and distance, there's no premium for weddings. But often I'll be booked to play during the afternoon for weddings, which increases the fee, it's something I always recommend to my clients for various reasons.

funkymook
03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
My prices are practically double for weddings.

Admittedly, there is a lot more work involved.

- Most 16 year olds don't request a consultation about their 16th- B&G's do.

There are normally more requirements, music requests and things to take into account when doing a wedding.

Sounds bad, but I think I make more effort at weddings in regards to my appearance and 'can do' attitude...'certainly sir' blah blah blah.

AND - I know I can charge more for weddings, which is bad but it's the way the world goes round.

What you're doing is charging half price for all your other bookings :D

Excalibur
03-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't charge more for weddings.

Why would you? It is no more work than any other event.
Panto time: "Oh yes it is "( usually) Early setup, early return, more specifications, longer working hours.

I don't.

I didn't. :o Then I began to see that I was badly undervaluing myself with the prices for certain events of this nature. I probably still charge way way less than many of you lot do, but I charge more than I used to.

Jonathan Ford
03-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't.

Glenski
03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
I charge a little more for a wedding based on the consultaion, meetings, setup requirments (early setup, background music, speache etc) and the length/duration of the night coupled with the travelling as normal.

With a standard or typical booking, most of the above does not happen - not at least on a full scale.

My fees are more or less worked out on an hourly rate which includes all of my basic needs and costs etc.

However my rates during the week (Sun to Thurs) are less (this is down to times and duration really).

And why not charge more for a wedding ? th avg wedding cost these days is £20,000 and some couples will spend up to a £1000 just on a cake, which if i am honest, no one really remembers, eats or takes home... and the photographer charges a high rate to, and some do not even cover the reception without charging any extra... I like to offer basic video and photos FREE! as an added bonus for the evening for the married couple.

My pennies worth

Glenn

yourdj
03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Pre event meeting, more planning and more responsibility and experienced required.

I charge the same for private functions but do not include the meeting unless they want one so its a bit cheaper. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
03-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I dont charge more for weddings. Why would you? Each client is given the same level of service and a pre event meeting so why would I charge any different

Shakermaker Promotions
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
As said already - I don't charge any extra unless they have extra services. All my bookings have the same dedication and work beforehand. I don't charge more just because of the 'W' word.

BeerFunk
03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
The other thing to consider is the added responsibility the DJ carries for a wedding as opposed to another event.

I'm not saying birthday parties and even engagement parties aren't important, but if you fail to turn up, or make a mess of a wedding disco, then the consequences are a bit more severe.

djdave01
03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
i dont charge more for weddings either, its only the length of event, distance, and amount of gear required that i base the price on.

in almost 20 years of DJ'ing ive only been asked to do a pre event meeting once, and that was only 5 minutes away so i didnt charge anything for it.

Jonathan Ford
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM

So, for any other booking you're rude and slovenly because they're not paying enough? Surely being well presented, polite and amenable is the least we can do, whatever the fee?

Hypothetically speaking, Charlie, what do you do if you're in the same position as the OP? A client you've worked for before asks you to do their wedding. No meetings, half a dozen requests...no extra work. Tell them they're paying for you to iron a shirt and have a shave??

ppentertainments
03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Strictly speaking I don't actually charge more for weddings but as most of the time they entail a lot more work I end up with a higher fee than say a 'turn up and play' 18th.

paulg
03-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Flat hourly rate for me so I only charge more if there's more to be done (which there usually is)

Ajaysdisco
03-03-2011, 11:00 PM
If the times, distance, year, etc are the same I don’t charge more.
Regardless of the event I put a lot of effort into the event, for example a have a Birthday party this Saturday and I have put in over 20 hours planning to make sure I have (hopefully) covered all the aspects.

CRAZY K
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I was asked the question the other day."why do you charge more for doing a wedding"?

compared to other events.

I did a 30th birthday party last year for a girl,she is getting married later this year so came back to me for the disco.when i gave her my price,i was asked "why do i charge more for weddings"

What would your reply be?

Most logical reasons have been given already --which invariably rack up more time hence more cost--the only one not mentioned which I HATE is the fast turnround involving unreasonable and unrealistic time scales being expected by all concerned, I certainly factor this into my price.

BeerFunk
03-03-2011, 11:28 PM
We actually had this discussion a while back, and I remember someone (not a member anymore though) saying that it was wrong to charge more for weddings and so on, which I'm sure everyone would generally agree about.

However, it transpired that he specifically targeted the wedding market, which I assumed was because it is easier to charge a higher fee for a wedding than a standard birthday party or what have you... again, I think we'd all be in agreement on that point?

He did state his reasons for targeting the wedding market were mainly that you were less likely to get any trouble at these events, but I'm not sure I believed that to be the real reason.

Anyway, my point is that if it's 'wrong' to charge more for a wedding (other factors aside, such as time involved), I would suggest it is also 'wrong' to specifically target that market purely on the basis that you can command a higher fee.

soundtracker
04-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I target Weddings, and high-end venues because I know I can command the fee that I want, I don't target Pubs and Working Men's Clubs because (usually) they won't pay, if that is wrong, then hi-ho, I couldn't really give a toss, my feedback tells me that my B&Gs and venues feel that they get value for money, and that is all that matters, do I charge extra for Weddings....No, do I sometimes discount for family parties....yes, sometimes, if I feel it is warranted, does this cause my punters, or me a problem...no, because I actually talk to them and explain the reasons. Don't bother telling me I'm wrong, coz I really couldn't give one, it works for me!

MBK
04-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I would suggest it is also 'wrong' to specifically target that market purely on the basis that you can command a higher fee.

Why?
If you run a business you need to make a profit.
So Ferarri, Rolls Royce, The Dorchester etc are wrong to target the higher end of the market then.

In all walks of business there will always be a cheaper option as will there be a more expensive one.

Weddings can be more work. They involve more planning more meetings and prep time involving setting up in the morning etc.
I charge extra based on client meetings, If they require AM set ups etc.

Typical party
Admin 30 mins
load up & Drive to venue 1 hour
Set Up 1 Hour
4 hours of Music
Break down & drive home unload etc 2 hours
Equates to about 8 hours

Wedding
Admin 30 mins
client meeeting to discuss the day 1 hour here you find out they require AM set up for example.
Aditional client meet 6 weeks prior to the wedding to discuss final timings and run through the musical content - 1 hour

Set Up 1 Hour + if uplighters are used
Drive home 30 mins
Drive back to venue 30 mis
4 hours music
Break down & drive home unload etc 2

Time 10 - 12 hours

IMO weddings involve 2 -4 hours more planning than a typical party.

Pricing will always be an issue between DJ's on forums but The Client has the final choice to use your sevices or not.

BeerFunk
04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I target Weddings, and high-end venues because I know I can command the fee that I want, I don't target Pubs and Working Men's Clubs because (usually) they won't pay, if that is wrong, then hi-ho, I couldn't really give a toss, my feedback tells me that my B&Gs and venues feel that they get value for money, and that is all that matters, do I charge extra for Weddings....No, do I sometimes discount for family parties....yes, sometimes, if I feel it is warranted, does this cause my punters, or me a problem...no, because I actually talk to them and explain the reasons. Don't bother telling me I'm wrong, coz I really couldn't give one, it works for me!
Why?
If you run a business you need to make a profit.
So Ferarri, Rolls Royce, The Dorchester etc are wrong to target the higher end of the market then.

In all walks of business there will always be a cheaper option as will there be a more expensive one.

Weddings can be more work. They involve more planning more meetings and prep time involving setting up in the morning etc.
I charge extra based on client meetings, If they require AM set ups etc.

Typical party
Admin 30 mins
Set Up 1 Hour
4 hours of Music
Break down & drive home unload etc 2 hours
Equates to about 8 hours

Wedding
Admin 30 mins
client meeeting to discuss the day 1 hour here you find out they require AM set up for example.
Aditional client meet 6 weeks prior to the wedding to discuss final timings and run through the musical content - 1 hour

Set Up 1 Hour + if uplighters are used
Drive home 30 mins
Drive back to venue 30 mis
4 hours music
Break down & drive home unload etc 2

Time 10 - 12 hours

IMO weddings involve 2 -4 hours more planning than a typical party.

Pricing will always be an issue between DJ's on forums but The Client has the final choice to use your sevices or not.I actually do agree, my point was that you can't say it's wrong for a DJ to charge more for a wedding, if it's the same amount of work as a regular party.... if you then target the wedding market because you know you'll find it easier to charge higher fees.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with either scenario. Business is based on supply and demand, and the fact is that people are willing to pay extra for a wedding disco, mainly to ensure nothing goes wrong on the day.

musicologydisco
04-03-2011, 12:14 PM
To the OP. If the customer has asked you why you're charging more for their wedding and you don't have an answer then why have you quoted them more? They now think you are ripping them off because it's a wedding. Punters are wising up to the fact Dj's quote higher when they hear the magic word "wedding"! I don't do it. A job is a job, doesn't matter what it is and my pricing is honest and transparent. They appreciate that.

Corabar Entertainment
04-03-2011, 12:21 PM
....and my pricing is honest and transparent.Ouch - bad choice of words there! (seems to suggest that others aren't) - but I'm sure that's not what you meant to imply.

musicologydisco
04-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Ouch - bad choice of words there! (seems to suggest that others aren't) - but I'm sure that's not what you meant to imply.

Perhaps "open" may have been a better choice then.

CRAZY K
04-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Thats our strategy here--targetting higher income individuals for Weddings and Parties and Corporates for Western Events-- offering and delivering a high quality product and service.

Works here too!

Volumes may be lower but its a much more pleasurable experience.;)