PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a mac running windows

gharbud
04-03-2011, 01:23 PM
was wondering if anybody on here uses a mac with windows on it? and how well it runs any problems etcc

yourdj
04-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Yes its fine. i never have a need for tbh.

Vectis
04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Urgh!

Surely the whole point of buying the mac is to get away from that horrible OS? :p

Over the years I've used various arrangements of bootcamp (ie split install, choose windows or OSX at boot time), VMware (when I had access to a corporate £icence), and Parallels. The latter two providing a virtual bios on top of OSX onto which you can install anything, including windoze.

I still have Parallels on the backup imac here simply because I have a pile of old Outlook .PSTs from circa 2005 that I can't be bothered to convert.

To answer the point, I had no significant performance, connectivity or driver issues with any of the above options using the mac for general day-to-day windoze office and multimedia type stuff.

Cowlinn
04-03-2011, 01:39 PM
:zip:

It runs like windows, so no. Of course it doesnt work very well.

For the few time I need to use windows I have a cheapo xp desktop.

It's like buying a nice new shiney Pioneer playout and running it through skytec speakers!!!

Vectis
04-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Of course it doesnt work very well.

That's just not true. Sorry.

Cowlinn
04-03-2011, 02:01 PM
The concept works very well, but when you're actually inside windows, different story.

Vectis
04-03-2011, 02:15 PM
How so?

Under bootcamp and using the virtualisation products I've used windoze versions of Office 2007, Photoshop CS...3 I think maybe 4, Adobe Premier Pro and even OTS DJ - so a fair mix of taxing software.

It ran as I might expect it to on similarly-specced generic Intel hardware :confused:

Cowlinn
04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
How so?

Under bootcamp and using the virtualisation products I've used windoze versions of Office 2007, Photoshop CS...3 I think maybe 4, Adobe Premier Pro and even OTS DJ - so a fair mix of taxing software.

It ran as I might expect it to on similarly-specced generic Intel hardware :confused:

I used bootcamp once, and yes it ran windows fine. But it was still was still windows.

I'd just never trust windows in an important situation myself for reasons like random not responding, random error messages. I'm not a windows geek, im a mac geek so I don't know what they mean :muppet:

I once had my "End now" window, not respond. So I had to "End now" my "End now" window.

So yes mac can run windows fine. But it still doesn't work well, is what i'm saying.

Vectis
04-03-2011, 02:30 PM
So yes mac can run windows fine. But it still doesn't work well, is what i'm saying.

Right then. Glad we got that sorted. What you're saying is that in your opinion windoze is crap.

I agree.

But the OP asked whether mac hardware would run windoze OK.

The answer therefore is that it runs windoze as OK as any other compatible hardware would.
:beer1:

yourdj
04-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Got there in the end. :)

depends how you read that. Its a good feature and a useful tool for someone moving from windows to mac.
You will honestly not need it after a week as you can get plug ins and applications for almost all windows files now.

I would say as its a hefty program it will slow your laptop and i would not have it on when Djing just incase. 2.5 ghz macbook.

Cowlinn
04-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Right then. Glad we got that sorted. What you're saying is that in your opinion windoze is crap.

I agree.

But the OP asked whether mac hardware would run windoze OK.

The answer therefore is that it runs windoze as OK as any other compatible hardware would.
:beer1:

Got there in the end. :)

depends how you read that. Its a good feature and a useful tool for someone moving from windows to mac.

You will honestly not need it after a week as you can get plug ins and applications for almost all windows files now.

Ahh yes I see.

Mac runs windows fine, yes.

(but it's still windows:D)

Cowlinn
04-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Gharbud - Out of interest what do you want to do on windows that your mac can't do?

DJ James Lake
04-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I have been running a macbook pro under bootcamp with windows 7 for some time now with VDJ Pro and running video discos without any issues. I run it using timecode CDJ 1000 mk3s and Technics SL120s.

CPu use barely goes above 10% and runs every bit as good as any windows laptop could.

The reason I run under windows is because there are better plugins for VDJ for windows and from habit because of the way OSX protects system memory.

When I used to run Traktor under OSX if I ever had an issue with an mp3 OSX would shut the program instantly which could be very embarrassing. Under Windows the program just refused to load the track or if it crashed it would continue to the end of the playing track and didnt take the whole program down giving plenty of time to switch to a backup source.

yourdj
04-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Traktor under OSX if I ever had an issue with an mp3 OSX would shut the program instantly

God thats not very good!

you have to go through about three steps to leave Serato and it has never crashed. Must have used it at over 1000 gigs.

DJ James Lake
04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
God thats not very good!

you have to go through about three steps to leave Serato and it has never crashed. Must have used it at over 1000 gigs.

I am not talking about choosing to leave the program I am talking about what happens in the event of a program crash caused by a corrupt mp3 or a just the program having a flip out. Guess you've been very lucky without a single crash.

Traktor and VDJ on OSX instantly shut the program, no warning, nothing.

On windows the programs freezes but carries on playing the audio to the end of the track this was part of the reason I run VDJ on windows over OSX

I cant comment on Serato as I dont use it but as this is based on how OSQ protects system memory It would more than likely be exactly the same.

Trust me when I say you couldnt get a much bigger mac fan I have been using macs professionally and personally since 1988 and love them but for DJing with I rather use the OS that gives me a bit of time to switch to a backup in the event of a computer having a hissy fit which Is why I use a macbook and bootcamp it so i have the choice to use OSX for everything else and use the windows side for DJing

yourdj
04-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I am not talking about choosing to leave the program I am talking about what happens in the event of a program crash caused by a corrupt mp3 or a just the program having a flip out. Guess you've been very lucky without a single crash.

Traktor and VDJ on OSX instantly shut the program, no warning, nothing.

On windows the programs freezes but carries on playing the audio to the end of the track this was part of the reason I run VDJ on windows over OSX

I cant comment on Serato as I dont use it but as this is based on how OSQ protects system memory It would more than likely be exactly the same.

Trust me when I say you couldnt get a much bigger mac fan I have been using macs professionally and personally since 1988 and love them but for DJing with I rather use the OS that gives me a bit of time to switch to a backup in the event of a computer having a hissy fit which Is why I use a macbook and bootcamp it so i have the choice to use OSX for everything else and use the windows side for DJing

I'm not having a go just thought traktor would be a bit better as allot of prodj's use the mac traktor combination and I have not had that issue with Serato.

Are you not sure its your macs specs causing the problems :) I always restart my mac and never use any other programs (such as virtual machines) unless I need them.

Megamix
04-03-2011, 07:01 PM
i use parallels for one windows app - it can be a pull on resources when you have a few things open, but its perfectly useable - my imac is 3 years old, so newer macs/updated virtualization software will be a breeze.

Paul The Party Dj
04-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I used to use VMware, but it caused typical pc problems and so I got rid of it and have never looked back.

In my humble opinion if you really need to run a windows programme, and you can't find a Mac product that will do a better job, then you can use Windows ... but life is better if you don't.

Jiggles
04-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Mac running Parallels with 7 on it with nothing else running slows everything down massively! Don't know how Microsoft manage to do it! >_< Use it for things when i really need windoz! 4gb ram, 2.4 core 2 duo...

So yes it does but with all the same niggles as a normal PC.

DJ James Lake
04-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm not having a go just thought traktor would be a bit better as allot of prodj's use the mac traktor combination and I have not had that issue with Serato.

Are you not sure its your macs specs causing the problems :) I always restart my mac and never use any other programs (such as virtual machines) unless I need them.

Definitely not the issue, I am running an i5 processor 27" imac with 4gb of ram and a dedicated 17" macbook pro dual core 2.66mhz for DJing with both top of the range and can easily run the programs.

I know macs inside out and know exactly how to run a clean OS, as I said its not specific to a program like Traktor or VDJ its the way OSX protects system memory and well documented as a feature of OSX its good for most applications as a crash will not take down the whole system. The downside though is if a program such as VDJ, Traktor, Serato or any other Dj program encounters a problem which can happen on the most stable of systems (even caused by fluctuations in a venues power suppy) you will get a sudden shut down of a program.

Windows doesn't handle crashes in the same way and gives you time to switch to backup.

DJ James Lake
04-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Mac running Parallels with 7 on it with nothing else running slows everything down massively! Don't know how Microsoft manage to do it! >_< Use it for things when i really need windoz! 4gb ram, 2.4 core 2 duo...

So yes it does but with all the same niggles as a normal PC.

Parallels is not the best way to run windows software, you are running two operating systems at once, ok for word processing and the odd program but for live audio forget it.

Bootcamp the mac and run it natively in windows and it will run at the full speed your computer can run it

Megamix
04-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Parallels is not the best way to run windows software,
Quite agree - (I have my database of CDs on an old Windows XP prog and can't find a suitable replacement in OSX and Delicious Library, CD Finder, CD Catalog etc not fitting the bill for me.)

DJ James Lake
04-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Quite agree - (I have my database of CDs on an old Windows XP prog and can't find a suitable replacement in OSX and Delicious Library, CD Finder, CD Catalog etc not fitting the bill for me.)

Try Disk Tracker for OSX, I have been using it for years and have thousands of cd's cataloged with it