PDA

View Full Version : Nearly there, promise!

Ricesnaps
28-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Ok, last hurdle now and I'll be a van owner!

Have looked at a Vito today, S Reg, 150,000 miles, yellow and the garage will take my laguna as near full payment. However it has a little bit of rust on it - mainly surface, but would like to do something about it, or at least know the cost, before I make a decision.

So the question today is, does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to re-spray a van of that size. Should I look for quotes just to put the rust right or to re-spray the whole van (which would allow me to stop it being yellow!). If it's not a huge cost, then it might be worth it. Unless the van seems to old and milage too high to you guys?

However, there is a 2nd choice. But not sure if this is likely to be big enough. Have seen a nice tidy R Reg FIAT SCUDO EL 1.9TD. To be honest I don't use the height in most Vito sized vans I use, but most of the loadspace - any idea if this is really that much smaller?

DMX Will
28-08-2006, 07:07 PM
So the question today is, does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to re-spray a van of that size. Should I look for quotes just to put the rust right or to re-spray the whole van (which would allow me to stop it being yellow!). If it's not a huge cost, then it might be worth it. Unless the van seems to old and milage too high to you guys??

your looking at serveral grand

Adam_F
28-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah, your looking at a fair few grand for a nice job, could save yourself some cash by prepping it yourself, as some garages charge a small fortune to strip down the van before they even think about spraying! Depends how handy you are in dismantling vans and whether you've got the space, or if the garage will let you do it onsite (most won't because of insurance/H&S, some will but you'll have to use all your own tools).
Other option is a "low bake" paint job, alot cheaper, and usually limited colours. However, I don't personally know how long this option lasts and how well it wears.

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 07:23 PM
do it yourself

Jiggles
28-08-2006, 07:26 PM
do it yourself

And make a mess of it then re-call youself messy discos lol :teeth: :teeth:

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 07:27 PM
why would you make a mess of it? unless you dont actually know how to use either 1. a compressor and spray gun or 2. a paint roller, then how would you bugger it up?

i know LOADS of people that repaint their own vehicles, and most of them are immaculate

Keri
28-08-2006, 07:52 PM
your looking at serveral grand

:teeth: You just made me laugh so hard.

Big firms will respray van sized vehicles, that are a more difficult spray for around £1500. ( thats also for metalic paint)

But like Abyss said sort it yourself, either just sort the rust yourself which is an easy job or sort the rust and repaint the whole van which is also and easy job made easyier by the fact its a van.

CRAZY K
28-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Dont forget the sign writing as well for advertising :teeth:

My only worry would be repair costs---dont Mercedes cost an arm and leg to be repaired?

I am hearing horror stories from my local garage over repair costs for Merecedes, BMW and other similar manufacturers.

Good luck anyway,

CRAZY K

Keri
28-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Dont forget the sign writing as well for advertising :teeth:

My only worry would be repair costs---dont Mercedes cost an arm and leg to be repaired?

I am hearing horror stories from my local garage over repair costs for Merecedes, BMW and other similar manufacturers.

Good luck anyway,

CRAZY K

The thing i find about sign writing is its like putting a sign above your house that says expensive equipment may be stored here (although in some people cases burglar bill might be a bit dissapointed). :)

Edit: sign writing is as cheap as chips though really.

Corabar Entertainment
28-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Personally, I've never seen a 'home re-spray' that looked anything other than what it is. It is very difficult to get the paint coated evenly over the whole vehicle.

Matt - why not phone around a few garages in the morning before you make your decision?

DMX Will
28-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Personally, I've never seen a 'home re-spray' that looked anything other than what it is. It is very difficult to get the paint coated evenly over the whole vehicle.

Matt - why not phone around a few garages in the morning before you make your decision?

Yeah, I haven't seen any myself (well knowingly), but i would have thought'd they would be pretty bad. After all there must be a reason why it costs so much to have it done professionally.

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:00 PM

Do you respray vehicles regular....? Or know alot of people who do?

It all depends wether you like riding round in a half hearted crap job or are prepared to put the effort in to have something in the end that you can be proud of and even prouder of the fact you've done it youself AND it looks just as good if not better than paying some guy a high price to do it for you.

Murrough
28-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Magnetic signs are handy, I tend to put them on whilst travelling and depending where the gig is leave them on, but always take them off coming home. Lets be honest, who can read a disco sign in the dark at 1am, and more importantly, who wants to.

You also run the risk of having upset someone because you wont play 'Guns and Roses' for them, that they go out side for fresh air, see your van, and decided to take out their frustrations with you on it.

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen any myself (well knowingly), but i would have thought'd they would be pretty bad. After all there must be a reason why it costs so much to have it done professionally.

ROFL your a funny guy...... Why does it cost £300 to have a timing belt changed at some garages when the belt only costs £20 and with the right knowledge and tools its easily done costing you £50 at the most including any special tools you need. And here is another one for you.... WHY does it cost £3500/4000 to have the chassis changed on my landrover when you can do it yourself for the cost of a chassis and a few bits and peices (and time and effort). Which is what we are doing with the help of a mate who owns a unit. So why does it cost so much, its because people can charge it because they know people will pay it because they go around with your attitude.

Corabar Steve
28-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Do you respray vehicles regular....? I take it you do? A new sideline maybe?

You also run the risk of having upset someone because you wont play 'Guns and Roses' for them, that they go out side for fresh air, see your van, and decided to take out their frustrations with you on it.
Although from experience this is more likely to happen if you haven't played R&B or Garage (modern definitions of both) for someone.

DMX Will
28-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Because your average spray gun-thing isn't going to be cheap (i would imagine). And whats all this funny guy stuff?

Corabar Steve
28-08-2006, 11:14 PM
It all depends wether you like riding round in a half hearted crap job or are prepared to put the effort in to have something in the end that you can be proud of and even prouder of the fact you've done it youself AND it looks just as good if not better than paying some guy a high price to do it for you.
But if you can afford to pay somebody to do a professional job...................

Corabar Entertainment
28-08-2006, 11:19 PM
ROFL your a funny guy...... Why does it cost £300 to have a timing belt changed at some garages when the belt only costs £20 and with the right knowledge and tools its easily done costing you £50 at the most including any special tools you need. And here is another one for you.... WHY does it cost £3500/4000 to have the chassis changed on my landrover when you can do it yourself for the cost of a chassis and a few bits and peices (and time and effort). Which is what we are doing with the help of a mate who owns a unit. So why does it cost so much, its because people can charge it because they know people will pay it because they go around with your attitude..... and why play somebody to play a few songs at your party? Everyone on here ought to be grateful that there are people who would prefer to pay a professional to do a job, rather than going DIY for everything.

There are many things that I would do myself....... a re-spray of a vehicle is not one of them.

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Infact here are some photos of someone i knows landrover with a much more complicated "home paint job" than a van, not even done with a spray gun but with a brush................... If you look at the roof in one picture you can see the surface he had to clean and prepare..... and that is the first time he has ever painted a vehicle. Bearing in mind its over 20odd years old as well so he will have had alot more preperation to deal with.

Corabar Steve
28-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Does look good, you can't even see the brush strokes from that distance :)

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I take it you do? A new sideline maybe?

How do you know how much work i do on vehicles at all? Maybe its a hobby not a sideline? How do you know that i didn't do the metalic paint job thats on my landrover now?

Murrough
28-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Infact here are some photos of someone i knows landrover with a much more complicated "home paint job" than a van, not even done with a spray gun but with a brush................... If you look at the roof in one picture you can see the surface he had to clean and prepare..... and that is the first time he has ever painted a vehicle. Bearing in mind its over 20odd years old as well so he will have had alot more preperation to deal with.

Yes, there are some subtle differences

Its a Land Rover made to look like a Zebra, probably in use at a wildlife park or something similar, where it enhances the offering.

Now get your nice new 1985 Transit to look like a DMX Lighting rig (ask Will for a pattern to paint :) and see if your yellow red and blue bobs with scatter rays emerging out from them and a 'rag-effect' smoke collage will turn heads for the right reason as well ;)

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 11:26 PM
But if you can afford to pay somebody to do a professional job...................

if that is the case, then why the bloody hell is he buying a van that needs respraying?!!??! logic tells you that if you can afford to pay the believed sum of "a few grand", then why not spend that few grand on a decent van in decent condition!?

as for spray guns - no, they're not expensive at all.

as for "going DIY for everything"... perhaps thats why you need to pay the AA/RAC/etc to drag you home when your car/van/etc breaks down, and yet i can limp back home under our own steam in our 13 year old DIY job of a land rover, despite the fact that the rear halfshaft has broken?

Corabar Steve
28-08-2006, 11:27 PM
How do you know how much work i do on vehicles at all? Maybe its a hobby not a sideline? How do you know that i didn't do the metalic paint job thats on my landrover now?

I DON'T!

& quite frankly I don't care either.

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Yes, there are some subtle differences

Its a Land Rover made to look like a Zebra, probably in use at a wildlife park or something similar, where it enhances the offering.

Now get your nice new 1985 Transit to look like a DMX Lighting rig (ask Will for a pattern to paint :) and see if your yellow red and blue bobs with scatter rays emerging out from them and a 'rag-effect' smoke collage will turn heads for the right reason as well ;)

No its not at a wildlife park...... Its a guy who wanted to paint his landrover like that so he did it.

A1DL
28-08-2006, 11:28 PM
That is one serious passion wagon, I want one!! :teeth:

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:31 PM
I DON'T!

& quite frankly I don't care either.

Well you kind of did care tho didn't you as you thought your comment would be smart. And just for your referance all things like that are a hobby not a sideline of mine, infact there more than a hobby. My point is that you can get exactly the same finish as a garage without having it done at a garage and paying silly prices.

Corabar Steve
28-08-2006, 11:34 PM
if that is the case, then why the bloody hell is he buying a van that needs respraying?!!??! logic tells you that if you can afford to pay the believed sum of "a few grand", then why not spend that few grand on a decent van in decent condition!?
Why not indeed? It's what I did & less than 2 years old too, there are bargains to be had if you look in the right places.
Well you kind of did care tho didn't you as you thought your comment would be smart. And just for your referance all things like that are a hobby not a sideline of mine, infact there more than a hobby. My point is that you can get exactly the same finish as a garage without having it done at a garage and paying silly prices.
That is a fair point, but how many people have the ability to do that, let alone the time to do it?

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:35 PM
That is a fair point, but how many people have the ability to do that, let alone the time to do it?

But thats my point none of it is a special abilty if you have the time...... Now i don't know what rice spends his days doing he might have his days free and might of had the time to have a go.

Edit: but you all seemed dead set on the fact that unless it was pro done it would be crap which is not the case.

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 11:37 PM
heres the finish on our land rover. admittedly, wasnt done by us, but it most certainly was NOT done in a professional or dedicated respray or body shop.

spot any faults? didnt think so. the point here is that ricesnaps DOES NOT need to pay £xxxx or whatever you would like to imagine to pay a body shop to respray a van, when he could literally either use a roller and white coach paint, or if he felt like REALLY dipping his hand in his wallet, buy a compressor and spray gun.

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:40 PM
heres the finish on our land rover. admittedly, wasnt done by us, but it most certainly was NOT done in a professional or dedicated respray or body shop.

spot any faults? didnt think so. the point here is that ricesnaps DOES NOT need to pay £xxxx or whatever you would like to imagine to pay a body shop to respray a van, when he could literally either use a roller and white coach paint, or if he felt like REALLY dipping his hand in his wallet, buy a compressor and spray gun.

We could go and get a compressor and a spray gun now and get exactly the same finish as is on ours at the moment, which soon we may do as it has taken one hell of a beating off trees off road.

That pic liam posted is quite old its had a few changes since then :)

Corabar Steve
28-08-2006, 11:42 PM
As I said earlier it's easy to hide faults from a distance, that said it looks good guys.

I do like a nice metalic blue (& no that's not a bad finish, it's scuffs & scrapes & dents)

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 11:45 PM
you can come and inspect it up close if you like, steve... all you'll find is scratches, some more scratches, and the odd flake where a tree has, you guessed it, scratched the paint off. that, and the usual land rover panel corrosion, of which we dont have all that much either

Corabar Steve
28-08-2006, 11:51 PM
But thats my point none of it is a special abilty if you have the time.......Not too many folks would be able to do it without getting the runs so to speak :teeth:
Edit: but you all seemed dead set on the fact that unless it was pro done it would be crap which is not the case.No, but there is a lot less chance of runs, streaks etc.....

Keri
28-08-2006, 11:55 PM
No, but there is a lot less chance of runs, streaks etc.....

If id paid £XXXX and found a run or a streak id be straight on there back........ But even proper paint jobs arnt that great. When ours was stood next to a newish defender with a pro landrover done paint job you couldn't tell the difference other than ours is ice blue and his was oslo, which are just slightly different colours. and his scratches ran deeper than ours which would suggest that his paint was not hardened as well as ours.

abyssdjhire
28-08-2006, 11:56 PM
can i just point out something here thats been bugging me since the start of this lot? its a van... chances are, without trying to offend, its likely to be a shed anyway. the respray itself would probably cost more than the van did...

also, i do seem to remember a while back a long, lets call it a "debate", about it not being the vehicle, or the looks of it that matters...

Corabar Steve
29-08-2006, 12:01 AM
So you're saying Ricesnaps should just mask off any areas he dosen't want painted, get a bucket of paint, take a run up &..............................

Maybe not :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Although it is how we did some of the walls in the pub, but that's another story :teeth:

abyssdjhire
29-08-2006, 12:03 AM
well in not quite an extreme manner, yeah?! if the man cant coat a simple shape like a van with a layer of white paint then theres a problem somewhere! doing it himself would save him a ton, which im almost certain he would revel in.

DMX Will
Steve is that you on the bike? :teeth:

Keri
So you're saying Ricesnaps should just mask off any areas he dosen't want painted, get a bucket of paint, take a run up &..............................

Might turn out ok :p

Corabar Steve
29-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Steve is that you on the bike? :teeth:
BIKES HAVE 2 WHEELS!

Yes.

Have a disco
29-08-2006, 12:08 AM
ere ricesnaps get out a wire brush for the little bit of rust and fill it yourself & a paint brush and do it ya self mate save the hassle nowt wrong with yellow you'd never lose sight of it amongst all those white van men

DMX Will
29-08-2006, 12:10 AM
BIKES HAVE 2 WHEELS!

Yes.
I was going to say tricycle, incase to offend :P

Corabar Steve
29-08-2006, 12:10 AM
ere ricesnaps get out a wire brush for the little bit of rust and fill it yourself & a paint brush and do it ya self mate save the hassle nowt wrong with yellow you'd never lose sight of it amongst all those white van men
You're just jealous coz you haven't got one :teeth: (P.S. CD isn't in the post yet, I keep forgetting)

Corabar Steve
29-08-2006, 12:11 AM
I was going to say tricycle, incase to offend :P
Trike would do. :) (sez tricycle on the tax disc)

Have a disco
29-08-2006, 12:20 AM
You're just jealous coz you haven't got one :teeth: (P.S. CD isn't in the post yet, I keep forgetting)

LOL mind like a sieve

write out 100 times I must not forget to post the CD to badger

LOL

cheaper for me to hire it that buy it at moment but Yes I would like one if I could get more work etc etc

Ricesnaps
29-08-2006, 05:23 AM
My my my, what did I start!

To clarify, I am just trying to get opinions as to whether it would be worth spending the money! I will be calling a few local places today for an idea of price. A van is always the first and last thing a client will see, so not keen to make a bad impression. That said, would I be just as well sorting out the rust and not having a total re-spray? The Vito in question was also signwritten, with some of the writing still there. Other van I have seen, even with the writing removed, always look a little odd. But do you think that matters and would a good t-cut sort that?

Also asked about the Fiat in my original post - anyone know anything about it. That one doesn't need a re-spray!

ian8limelight
29-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't know much about the Scudo (nor do I about re-spraying !!!!!!!!) but have a look at the attached link, it might help you. :teeth:

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/fiat-scudo-van-range-1004350.html

Corabar Steve
29-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Also asked about the Fiat in my original post - anyone know anything about it. That one doesn't need a re-spray!
They do seem quite a nice van & there's a hell of a lot of them around here. Along similar lines to the Scudo are the Peugot Expert & the Citroen Dispatch, must admit I want an Expert (although all three are pretty much the same)

Candybeatdiscos
29-08-2006, 04:47 PM
my van has a few bits of rust ( think its the rust holding it together ) and i was quoted £200 to rub it down and polish it up to look presentable

Ricesnaps
29-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Just been back to the dealer. Looks like they'll do a straight swap for me - my car for the Vito and they can sort out just the rust for me for about £300, which seems a good deal to me. If the boss at the car dealer agrees, off to have a drive tomorrow!

A1DL
29-08-2006, 07:25 PM
My my my, what did I start!

To clarify, I am just trying to get opinions as to whether it would be worth spending the money! I will be calling a few local places today for an idea of price. A van is always the first and last thing a client will see, so not keen to make a bad impression. That said, would I be just as well sorting out the rust and not having a total re-spray? The Vito in question was also signwritten, with some of the writing still there. Other van I have seen, even with the writing removed, always look a little odd. But do you think that matters and would a good t-cut sort that?

That is a very good point Matt, and one which lots of people tend to forget.

That visual impression is especially important at more "upmarket" functions, and whilst it may not look out of place to unload from a battered estate car into the function room down the local pub or community centre, it would not be very clever to do the same at a stately home, expensive private residence or at a large marquee function.

First impressions are lasting impressions, and whilst a nice shiny new van doesn't make a great DJ, perception is very powerful and will help portray your professionalism.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-08-2006, 08:27 PM
That is a very good point Matt, and one which lots of people tend to forget.

That visual impression is especially important at more "upmarket" functions, and whilst it may not look out of place to unload from a battered estate car into the function room down the local pub or community centre, it would not be very clever to do the same at a stately home, expensive private residence or at a large marquee function.

First impressions are lasting impressions, and whilst a nice shiny new van doesn't make a great DJ, perception is very powerful and will help portray your professionalism.

This is the reason I initially went for a trailer (20 years ago mind you!), as I thought it looked nicer than a battered van turning up to a Hotel etc

CRAZY K
29-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Rice--dont forget--there is a School of thought that says if you turn up in something really expensive and shiny then the client thinks you must be overcharging to run a motor like that---

OR

if you turn up in something a bit average they might not be impressed as per A1s point.

However of course its all too late guys--you have arrived to do the gig and they aint going to hire someone else with a shiny van that evening out of Yellow Pages :) :) :)

Naturally it doesnt take them long to work out if they hired the right or wrong DJ does it?

Whatever vehicle you arrived in!!!!! :teeth:

Just watch out for those repair costs!!!!

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
29-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Rice--dont forget--there is a School of thought that says if you turn up in something really expensive and shiny then the client thinks you must be overcharging to run a motor like that---

OR

if you turn up in something a bit average they might not be impressed as per A1s point.

However of course its all too late guys--you have arrived to do the gig and they aint going to hire someone else with a shiny van that evening out of Yellow Pages :) :) :)

Naturally it doesnt take them long to work out if they hired the right or wrong DJ does it?

Whatever vehicle you arrived in!!!!! :teeth:

Just watch out for those repair costs!!!!

CRAZY K

Crazy,

Owned an A class Merc for a couple of years and know a few other guys who have Mercs. Have to say mine and all the people I know's vehicles have been by far the most reliable make I know.

That really is part of the attraction to getting the Vito!

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Crazy,

Owned an A class Merc for a couple of years and know a few other guys who have Mercs. Have to say mine and all the people I know's vehicles have been by far the most reliable make I know.

That really is part of the attraction to getting the Vito!

That's not a Merc - it's a rollerskate! :teeth:

CRAZY K
29-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok good luck with it Rice--lets hope you get a good un !

CRAZY K

Have a disco
30-08-2006, 12:14 PM
dont forget to get subtle signwriting for it and good locks for it LOL