PDA

View Full Version : Lack Of Longevity Led Dj Lighting Effects

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
As of late im rather disilusioned with a few LED Lighting effects im prompted to actually start a thread to name and shame the actuall brand of LED fixtures that fail to deliver.Im seriously thinking about moving back to "Traditional" Halogen/Hdmi Lighting effects such is the failure rate of these fitting.After all as DJs we arent getting these LED fitting for peanuts and some of them are very very expensive
Feel free to post the following only
1 Makers Name
2 Efect Name
3 How long till Failure
4 Attitude from manufacturer re repairs / replacement
5 Your personal feeling re failure .
action for future purchses / non purchases

I appreciate if this post is used for FAILED fitting only
maybe someone else could start a " Great Long Lasting Fitting " Post
Hopefully it will assist our members buying wisely for lighting that will give long and useful service
Regards Dave

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Better start off

1 KAM

2 Par Bars ( 2 of em actually)

3 Both started to fail within 3 months leds failing in 3s!

4 Manufacturer NOT INTERESTED ( Waittill i get em at a show)

5 Have DE- BADGED (ok covered up with tape ) all my KAM items
also intend never ever to buy a KAM product again as there are many better
engineered fittings and products around at same or cheaper prices

Regards Dave

surround sounds
06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
As of late im rather disilusioned with a few LED Lighting effects im prompted to actually start a thread to name and shame the actuall brand of LED fixtures that fail to deliver.Im seriously thinking about moving back to "Traditional" Halogen/Hdmi Lighting effects such is the failure rate of these fitting.After all as DJs we arent getting these LED fitting for peanuts and some of them are very very expensive
Feel free to post the following only
1 Makers Name
2 Efect Name
3 How long till Failure
5 Your personal feeling re failure .
action for future purchses / non purchases

I appreciate if this post is used for FAILED fitting only
maybe someone else could start a " Great Long Lasting Fitting " Post
Hopefully it will assist our members buying wisely for lighting that will give long and useful service
Regards Dave

I brought 4 ledj63 from a large company.I had them delievered and 2 of them was not working correctly.Some of the led's would not work.Sent them back no problem.. I recieved my new ones (2) and after using them once 1 of them failed again.Yes with the same problem.I phoned company up and 1 was told cause i had them over 7 days i would have to pay postage..I sent them back 2 days ago and waiting for refund.

Shaun
06-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Having just bought a KAM product I hope your experiences are isolated incidents.

Davesounds, I read in another thread that the retailer you originally bought from has stopped trading. Have you tried contacting KAM direct?

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Hiya Shaun yes i did
To be fair they didnt really like talking to a mere customer
they werenmt a lot of help
needless to say am no longer a KAM fan
to resolve the situation properly both PAR BARS need new Lamp-Led Cards
it wouldnt cost em much but in times like these we get the real attitude of the makers so ill be voting with my credit care next time im looking for fixtures

Cheers Dave

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
06-03-2011, 10:24 AM
NEXT

1 KAM

2 LED 800 Led Fitting

3 To be fair i bought this off a respected forumite and he had clearly never used it Blue LEDS started failing FIRST TIME EVER USED

4 Bought as seen used so no comeback there

5 Have DE- BADGED (ok covered up with tape ) all my KAM items
also intend never ever to buy a KAM product again as there are many better
engineered fittings and products around at same or cheaper prices

Im only recounting facts re my experience with LED lighting
fixtures and the manufacturers of

Cheers

Creature
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
why didnt you take the faulty product back to the company you brought them from ?

Daryll
06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
1: LEDJ

2:colourbursts

3: Out of 16 units purchased 8 were faulty on delivery , green LED`s out ( 2 banks of 3)
)
4: Prolight replaced straight away , and gave me some goodies , 2 units I repaired my self , fault was dry solder joints , due to the use of lead free solder.

5: This was a manufacturing fault , and not Prolight . these are also branded as KAM , and others

6: I have made purchases from Prolight ( through dealers) since , and have had no problems , so I will continue to buy Prolight products.

Daryll

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Daryll, they may look like the KAM units and have the same housing...but the innards of the LEDJ units are far superiour! ;)

Just to back up darylls post...i had the same issue with green LEDs and replacement wasnt an issue with the suppiler or Prolight :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Can I ask what exactly the point of this thread is please?

DiscosMobile
06-03-2011, 05:37 PM

I think its because not all LED lighting is what it is made out to be 100,000 hours ever lasting.. Thats how I read it and Yes I have a problem with them too..

1 Acme
2 Impossibleds
3 13 Months (out of warranty)
4 Nothing cant do anything
5 Some of the LEDs have gone. Mainly red have not fully checked them too see how many but I notice a run of them (maybe dry joints) on a couple of the lines.

Excalibur
06-03-2011, 06:02 PM

To enquire whether or not folk are finding that LED fixtures are indeed delivering the long life expected of them, often listed as 10,000 hrs.:confused:

In my limited experience, I'd say that Panels and Fixtures with multiple LEDs seem worse than say Scanners/barrels.

1st Choice Karaoke
06-03-2011, 08:48 PM
1)equinox (prolight)
2)cobalts
3) approx 18 months
4)several LEd's started to fail, in rows of three at a time
5)their customer service was excellent, they sent me tech diagrams of how the LED's are soldered in rows of three and set me a dozen assorted LED's free of charge for me to replace the blown ones.

TONYTIGER
07-03-2011, 07:29 AM
I have found this thread very interesting most of us will have or buy some sort of led fixture ,ask yourself what you are buying (a box with some leds in) so the most important part is the leds,just like a lamp we know not to buy poor copies and stick to well known brands the same applies to leds.
Do some research on the internet lots of good articles re leds its the old adage you only get what you pay for.

MORGEY
09-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with you (Tonytiger).
I am looking around at the moment for lighting and want to go down the led
route and did not know that there was a problem. Some of the lights mentioned are what I was interested in, Imposibled and colourbursts in particular. I hope this thread grows a bit more.

TONYTIGER
09-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with you (Tonytiger).
I am looking around at the moment for lighting and want to go down the led
route and did not know that there was a problem. Some of the lights mentioned are what I was interested in, Imposibled and colourbursts in particular. I hope this thread grows a bit more.

As your in Somerset go and check out the visage range at Batmink in Glastonbury they have a show room and a retail counter,IMHO best led range of lighting around at the moment at sensible prices.

Larry B Entertainment
10-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Well since I have been using LED fixtures for a number of years, I dont think I have ever had a dead led or faulty fixture. I have had a wide range of makes and all of them have been sold on again fully working.

spin mobile disco
10-03-2011, 09:28 AM
I think the main problem is a halogen fitting has 1 lamp / bulb etc. Leds are a series normally in the hundreds. As they are all manafactured in bulk they are not tested at factory level on manafacture. With so many items untestd the odds a faulty one raises with the more leds in use.
I have had a lot of problem with led par cans and faulty leds. Of course de to the nature of how they are wired when one led fails it takes out the whole curcuit (normally 3 - 4 in row on a par 56) normally it is just one led that causes it but the resultent surge in electricity can damage oters and it becomes a cascade effect.

I also had the same problem with an ledj panel that first lost some leds then the power supply went after the leds had been relaced. Bith problems have now been fixed (touch wood) and they have been working fine since.

My impossibleds have been happily flashing away to themselves with no problem since purchase as have several other of my effects. I believe that certain manafacturers are more likely to test the leds at a higher voltage to make them fail in testing then install them at a lower voltage after test.

This means that if they are going to fail they are going to do it a the factory not afterwards, but some manafactures do not do soak or uhv testing and this means failiures are inherent in these models.

P.S I used to work as a pcb assembler for a fire detector company and you only get 1 chance to get it right so know how these companies work.

Ajaysdisco
01-04-2011, 11:35 PM
First:
1 Makers Name
LEDJ

2 Effect Name
Par 64

3 How long till Failure
A couple of months, batches of 3 red LEDs failed.
Various number of LEDs failed in all 6 lights I brought after a couple of months!!

Gave up after chasing numerous times for a reply

5 Your personal feeling re failure.
I did get one working myself, dry solder joint due to ROSH and the fact the LEDS are wired 3 in series means one fails all three fail.

Action for future purchases / non purchases
I don’t trust LEDJ now and wont buy anything LED lights made by LEDJ (Prolight)

Second:
1 Makers Name
ADJ

2 Effect Name
Mega Panel

3 How long till Failure
About 6 months, one LED failed

Contacted the shop I brought it from, Phase One and Mike arranged to get it repaired. Unit was repaired very quickly.

5 Your personal feeling re failure.
ROSH

Action for future purchases / non purchases
Very happy with the support so I brought a couple more panels!!