PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Anti Spyware / System Tools spyware

Twinspin
07-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Has anyone come across this yet on a computer. This is quite disruptive. Trys to con you telling you your computer is infected and you have to buy this software. (As many people on here probably wont fall for it)

http://www.2-spyware.com/images/data_images/systemtool.jpg

This spyware... You cant load antivirus on the machine because it locks exe files you cant even do a ctrl+alt+del and go into the task manager to try and end the process. or type in run in msconfig.

Question is how do you get rid of it? This is how.

1. Restart your computer and hit F11 when your pc boots up.
2. From the list of options select Safe Mode With Networking.
3. Use google and search for a free program called Combo fix and install it on your pc in safe mode.
4.Turn off anti virus software before running it it may say the recovery console needs updating which combofix does for you.
5. Combo fix will restart your computer and you go into normal mode then once its sorted out the windows registry
6.It will create a log file then its done.

scan the computer system with a free program called Anti Malware Bytes to check the pc to make sure its clean.

Anti virus programs. I would recommend Eset Nod 32.

yourdj
07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
i was watching a persons windows laptop the other day in a wedding fair. every five mins it was coming up with some sort of update or another.

I have a notebook and hardly even ever open it as it just annoys the hell out of me :(

I do sometimes wonder if windows creates half of the spyware themselves to make money.
It is their error and they are charging clients to put up with it and not dealing with the problem. seems a bit stupid.

Glenski
07-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I have come across this loads recently on clients computers and the XP Security Tool.

There are many ways to get rid of this, and Bleeping Computer has a good guide to :)

I like to start the pc in safe mode then install/run CCleaner to clean up the start up menu, this stops the malware from starting up with the computer and hi-jacking the system.

Then you can re-boot back into safe mode with networking and download the latest versions of either:

Malwarebytes
Super Anti Syware
Spybot Search and Destroy

Run these and they will clean up your malware problems... then make sure that your anti virus software is bang up to date with it's database definitions and run a full system scan in safe mode, then reboot and run again in normal mode.

Everything should be clear after this.

The malware is infecting the pc through malicious code on websites, banners and fake downloads claiming to be a Java update, Macromedia Flash etc, so be aware before you download anything or update things.

Another way in is through the applications and software used to view/watch tv or football online, it is embedded withing the software code sometimes, so please be careful.

Once tha malware is on your system it can communicate and access other malware to download to your pc, then you have even more problems !! you think you have cleaned the system - only to find that it is still infected !!

Always back-up your data, many times i have had to factory reset the pc/laptop because the malware has proper screwed up the sytem and registry.

The amount of people i come across who have not backed up their data and their anti-virus software has expired and they have not bothered to do anything about it :( ... business for me but at a cost to them.

Thank you

Glenn

Twinspin
07-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I've never had this on any of my computers. My Dad found this on his computer just over a week ago and i did a bit of research into it and found the programs to get rid of it as above. I already had Malware bytes which has always been great.

On Sunday i had a call from My Mothers sisters boyfriend who owns a big scaffolding firm in Hull one of the computers with important information had the same spyware on it.

and Combifix and Malware bytes worked brilliantly and the software is free. That eset nod 32 software cost about £29.99 a year for a license but its great.