PDA

View Full Version : Suspect Email... Essex Birthday 18th Nov

pagan_flame
30-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Received today...

"...Goodday DJ,

I got to know you from an advert you placed. I'm having a family gathering celebrated along with my Birthday on the 18th of Nov. 2006 and i'll be needing your DJ service for that day. I'm expecting a maximum of 100 guests at my residence in Essex which is the venue. Its a one-day party but if it gets late for you to go back home, we can offer you a place to pass the night till morning.
So i would like to know:
1. If your service is guaranteed for that day.
2. How experienced you are.
3. Your total fee for the day & deposit required.

Awaiting your response.

Best Regards,
M--- O-----..."

Looks well suspect, anyone else had this one?

Shaun
30-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Scam I'm afraid.

If the scam artists would learn to written better English they would fool a lot more people.

Delete and move on my friend :)

alexperrins
30-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Scam I'm afraid.

If the scam artists would learn to written better English they would fool a lot more people.

Delete and move on my friend :)
Didn't know there were scams going around. What kind of stunts do they try and pull?

Corabar Entertainment
30-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I beg your pardon Shaun!!!!!......
learn to written better English :omg: :omg: :omg:

What they do is send you far more money that you ask for and ask you to refund the difference; it's either money laundering, or else you find out much much later that it was a stolen cheque.

Shaun
30-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I beg your pardon Shaun!!!!!...... :omg: :omg: :omg:

I can't spoke proper england you know.

Nathan Fleming
30-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Perhaps he was being sarcastic and the error was intentional

Shaun
30-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Perhaps he was being sarcastic and the error was intentional

I wish it were true Nathan. I'm just stupid..lol.

Nathan Fleming
30-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Ok fair enough, at least you owned up.

Shaun
30-08-2006, 06:21 PM
I actually thought about saying it was intentional, but I'm a worse at lying than I am at writing :D

alexperrins
30-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Didn't know about that sort of thing, valuable info!
Thanks

DMX Will
30-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Yeah thats clearly a hoax, :sad:

abyssdjhire
30-08-2006, 10:13 PM
we've recieved it too

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-08-2006, 12:07 AM
I didn't get it...

Maybe I'm not important enough....

Or perhaps they are looking for a budget disco...:D

abyssdjhire
31-08-2006, 12:58 AM
i dont really get the purpose in them to be honest, i mean... whats actually a scam about it?

unless they're gonna find someone that will go there without taking advanced payment, then when they arrive beat the **** out of them and wax all their gear...... well what else could it actually be?

edit -

"i are haveng party at my residence which price are you going to quote to me? etc etc etc"

£250.

"ha ha ha now i have your quote.... take that!?"

hmm?

DMX Will
31-08-2006, 01:19 AM
i dont really get the purpose in them to be honest, i mean... whats actually a scam about it?

unless they're gonna find someone that will go there without taking advanced payment, then when they arrive beat the **** out of them and wax all their gear...... well what else could it actually be?

edit -

"i are haveng party at my residence which price are you going to quote to me? etc etc etc"

£250.

"ha ha ha now i have your quote.... take that!?"

hmm?

lol :teeth: I see your point, although im sure it could be taken further if you replied.

Corabar Entertainment
31-08-2006, 11:31 AM

unless they're gonna find someone that will go there without taking advanced payment, then when they arrive beat the **** out of them and wax all their gear...... well what else could it actually be?From post #4 of this thread.....
What they do is send you far more money that you ask for and ask you to refund the difference; it's either money laundering, or else you find out much much later that it was a stolen cheque.Now, pay attention Liam :D :D

Have a disco
31-08-2006, 11:52 AM
even then if the cheque gets through the clearing system. It wouldn't affect us as if the banks failed to spot it, you would not be liable or expected to cover the cost of the fraud and if they over paid I wouldn't give it back whom in there right mind pays over the odds. there loss I would class it as a tip

Corabar Entertainment
31-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Wrong - check the law on that one. You can't take 'ownership' of stolen goods (whatever they are). When it's discovered, the goods (in this case - money by way of a stolen cheque) revert to the legal owner, and the person took possession of the goods in good faith is left high and dry and out of pocket. Now some banks may decide to compensate and protect you, but they don't have to and they don't in many cases.

Corabar Steve
31-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I didn't get it...
You said you took the booking! I saw it! :)

Have a disco
31-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Whom said I would be using it just leaving it alone in my account, if it gets taken back before a certain period lets see lost funds are 28 days I can claim the amount in full. just have to report it to the relevant authority the banking ombidsman or police. I cannot appeal to have the money unless it remains in my account any less than that amount of days...... If I touch it or use it then Im handling stolen property/goods

then this comes into effect

Wrong - check the law on that one. You can't take 'ownership' of stolen goods (whatever they are). When it's discovered, the goods (in this case - money by way of a stolen cheque) revert to the legal owner, and the person took possession of the goods in good faith is left high and dry and out of pocket. Now some banks may decide to compensate and protect you, but they don't have to and they don't in many cases.

Either way I would have been paid for my services and mayhap get a reward of the relevant departments

secretDISCO
31-08-2006, 04:35 PM
It could be another Disco Company winding you up.................I had it a few months ago with this "last minute booking"...Oh my DJ has let me down !!!!!! and I'll give you an extra £50 on top of your fee.
Just when i was just about to re_arrange things round to accomadate this person, one of my other disco buddies warned me of the scam from another "disco Co" to tie a lot of the other jocks up that night as his bookings were low and he had 3 mobiles in his lock-up doing nothing.
Anyone know where i can buy a "horses head" for his bed???

spin mobile disco
01-09-2006, 02:23 AM
hi i got this email as well it is a definate fake do not reply as they will try to con you. text is identicle

Corabar Steve
01-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Jim (Secret DISCO) why not start a newbies thread to say hello & tell us a bit about yourself?

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Jim (Secret DISCO) why not start a newbies thread to say hello & tell us a bit about yourself?

Didn't you see the name? :teeth:

Corabar Steve
02-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Didn't you see the name? :teeth:
There could be a bit of a clue there I suppose