PDA

View Full Version : Ultimax curtain kit Mk2

DJ Tony McQue
21-03-2011, 02:23 PM
For those who have been waiting on a decent solution to hang a curtain on the Ultimax stand, the email I have just recieved may be of some interest:

"We're re-launching the regular curtain kit (Part No. UMAC019) as a Mk2 version which is similar to the sumo design on Friday of this week.

It will have a RRP of £69.99 which includes the curtain as well as the frame work, and features the wrap around effect much like the sumo curtain kit.
If you would be interested in buying one you could approach your regular Ultimax dealer or alternatively purchase it from us directly if you would prefer.

Many thanks."

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Shaun
21-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Let's hope the material is less flimsy than what they've been selling in the past.

2Groove
21-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Very interesting - i'll be keeping an eye on this...

simonp
21-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Very interesting - i'll be keeping an eye on this...

Ditto

DJ Tony McQue
21-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Let's hope the material is less flimsy than what they've been selling in the past.

I do hope so. I have a great solution for hanging my starcloth now but this will be perfect for the quick setup gigs if the cloth is of a good standard.

deltic
21-03-2011, 03:09 PM
I do hope so. I have a great solution for hanging my starcloth now but this will be perfect for the quick setup gigs if the cloth is of a good standard.

still hanging well tony?

DJ Tony McQue
21-03-2011, 03:15 PM
still hanging well tony?

Yes Andy, it is great for my starcloth and I am still very happy with it (see pics in the gallery). I went for the metal studs you suggested but they keep coming off the rail when in transit even after super glueing them. Any suggestions on how to fix them on?

I hope you were referring to the rail hanging well.. :D

ppentertainments
21-03-2011, 03:26 PM
still hanging well tony?
Bit of a personal question for a forum :confused: :D :D :D

WWDJ
21-03-2011, 03:48 PM
If it's like this I want royalties!!!! :D

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_udxYkibPwZM/THqgB8tLlwI/AAAAAAAAFaY/NgEVIbxqx3Q/IMG_6988.JPG

DJ Tony McQue
21-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I am no patent lawyer but I am not sure you will be recieving any royalities. I am led to believe it will look like this:

http://www.ultimax1.com/product_img/zoom/UMAC024.jpg

WWDJ
21-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I am no patent lawyer but I am not sure you will be recieving any royalities. I am led to believe it will look like this:

Looks remarkably similar ... I will await the cheque..

It looks pretty good that really.

deltic
21-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes Andy, it is great for my starcloth and I am still very happy with it (see pics in the gallery). I went for the metal studs you suggested but they keep coming off the rail when in transit even after super glueing them. Any suggestions on how to fix them on?

I hope you were referring to the rail hanging well.. :D

on the mk1 version i riveted the male bit to the frame.

so glad you are still hanging well:D :D :D

Excalibur
21-03-2011, 05:56 PM
For those who have been waiting on a decent solution to hang a curtain on the Ultimax stand, the email I have just recieved may be of some interest:

"We're re-launching the regular curtain kit (Part No. UMAC019) as a Mk2 version which is similar to the sumo design on Friday of this week.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'd be pleased to see a 50% discount for those of us who bought the crappy Mk1 version. ;) Other wise, I fear I may have to resort to Plan A, which involves four feet of stainless tube, two lighting brackets, and a mig welder. :D

simonp
25-03-2011, 11:12 AM

I like a lot - does anyone know if it's for sale yet?

CRAZY K
25-03-2011, 11:30 AM
If it's like this I want royalties!!!! :D

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_udxYkibPwZM/THqgB8tLlwI/AAAAAAAAFaY/NgEVIbxqx3Q/IMG_6988.JPG

Im sure Corabar Steve used a self designed arrangement on the rig he was using when I last worked sidesaddle with him.:D

It was then that I discovered the advantages of velcro for which I will be eternally grateful ;)

DJ Tony McQue
25-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I like a lot - does anyone know if it's for sale yet?

It is released today apparently, I think they are trying to upstage Apple with the iPad 2 release. :)

Corabar Steve
25-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Im sure Corabar Steve used a self designed arrangement on the rig he was using when I last worked sidesaddle with him.:D Not quite. Mine is a full booth, not just a curtain.

CRAZY K
25-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Not quite. Mine is a full booth, not just a curtain.

Steve, I was referring to the curtain effect which you have designed for easy set up which was impressive rather than the overall unit, there seemed to be some comments by others as to that part of the set up not being too clever on some units.;)

Corabar Steve
25-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Still a full booth not a curtain

Twinspin
26-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I might get one.

But only if i can see the way it joins onto the frame. Because those clips on the MK1 version are terrible.

Andy Goodtimes
26-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I will also be interested to see this.

John, I guess you refer to the newer version of mounting for the front curtain from Ultimax which was a bit like 2 small plastic cycle clips. The first version was much more secure and was a metal bracket with a thumb screw to hold the rail in place. the reason they changed it was so that if someone leaned on it or tried to pull themselves up onto a stage bia the rail it would just come off rather than pull the whole stand over but I know what you mean it wasn't a brilliant idea in practice.

As for better quality cloth...once I had an original it was easy to get others, My Mum knows a lady that does sewing at home and I used to give her the original and a new piece of material and she made me lots of different colour cloths and also some proper wool surge ones. Very cheap too...£4 for making and whatever the cloth cost which was anything from about £8 upwards.

Excalibur
26-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I will also be interested to see this.

John, I guess you refer to the newer version of mounting for the front curtain from Ultimax which was a bit like 2 small plastic cycle clips. The first version was much more secure and was a metal bracket with a thumb screw to hold the rail in place. the reason they changed it was so that if someone leaned on it or tried to pull themselves up onto a stage via the rail it would just come off rather than pull the whole stand over but I know what you mean it wasn't a brilliant idea in practice.

As for better quality cloth...once I had an original it was easy to get others, My Mum knows a lady that does sewing at home and I used to give her the original and a new piece of material and she made me lots of different colour cloths and also some proper wool surge ones. Very cheap too...£4 for making and whatever the cloth cost which was anything from about £8 upwards.
Yeah, but if the punters lean on the accursed thing, it flies off!|:mad: I take te point about pulling the stand over, but I'm gonna be pulling like :Censored: the other way! ;) :D :D :D :D

Mig welder and seamstress time, I reckon. ;)

2Groove
28-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Has anyone seen this available yet?

2Groove
31-03-2011, 07:45 AM
I've just found this on the Ultimax site, but I must say its a little disapointing as i thought it would wrap round the sides of the stand like the sumo :(

http://www.ultimax1.com/index.php?product_id=12&page=shop.product_details&category_id=2&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=21&vmcchk=1&Itemid=21

Ajaysdisco
31-03-2011, 08:31 AM
John, I guess you refer to the newer version of mounting for the front curtain from Ultimax which was a bit like 2 small plastic cycle clips. The first version was much more secure and was a metal bracket with a thumb screw to hold the rail in place. the reason they changed it was so that if someone leaned on it or tried to pull themselves up onto a stage bia the rail it would just come off rather than pull the whole stand over but I know what you mean it wasn't a brilliant idea in practice.

The other reason I believe they changed it was because people did the thumbscrews up too tight and it ripped through the material.

I've just found this on the Ultimax site, but I must say its a little disapointing as i thought it would wrap round the sides of the stand like the sumo :(

http://www.ultimax1.com/index.php?product_id=12&page=shop.product_details&category_id=2&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=21&vmcchk=1&Itemid=21

Am I missing something, what have they changed?
Or have they not updated the pic?

2Groove
31-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Ahhh - it may just be a wibesite issue as I've just found this on the Ultimax website now...
http://www.ultimax1.com/trusslite/details/257/2/dj-stands/accessories/classic-1.2m-dj-stand-curtain-kit-mkii-upgrade.html?keyword=curtain

Picture pending.....

simonp
31-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Ahhh - it may just be a wibesite issue as I've just found this on the Ultimax website now...
http://www.ultimax1.com/trusslite/details/257/2/dj-stands/accessories/classic-1.2m-dj-stand-curtain-kit-mkii-upgrade.html?keyword=curtain

Picture pending.....

Picture................................still pending :lol:

simonp
05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I've just come of the phone from speaking to Andy at Ultimax and the pictures were taken last night and will be on the website next week when the Ultimax web designer gets back.
From the horses mouth the design is similar to the Mk 1 but hinged so you can have it exactly like the Mk 1 (but slightly longer), or you can hinge at 45 degrees (to look similar to the DSB I suppose) or at 90 degress which will completely cover the sides. The design has taken into account the deckstands that have the pole slots for the upright bars.

I've just ordered a 1.2m version and if I like sufficiently I'll get the 1.7m version as well.

Will post some pics when it arrives

2Groove
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Have you had this delivererd yet, Simon?

DJ Tony McQue
08-04-2011, 11:07 PM
I received mine earlier this week, it is excellent and way beyond my expectations of a quick alternative to my starcloth. It has been completely re-designed from the see through curtain and bendy rail design - the whole thing slots together with ease and gives the look of an S & H booth minus the fairy lights. I have a gig in 19 hours time which I shall be using it for the first time, I shall try to get some photos. Andy from Ultimax deserves a special mention for being so helpful on the phone and prioritising coffee for his staff before being quizzed by inquisitive customers like me.

TONYTIGER
09-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Yes its a vast improvement on the old one was sent pictures and details early this week as i am a stockist,they should do well with this product.

simonp
09-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Have you had this delivererd yet, Simon?

Yes Barry I have and I'll be using it tonight in a different way to Tony (below), so I'll get some different photos up. I've also had issues hanging my NJD cloth and the Showvision Deckskirt to my satisfation (I had previously attached both to the Ultimax Auxillary rail). Anyway once the curtain kit is connected the way it is supposed to I can now hang the NJD cloth and it looks great and hangs how it is supposed to.

So to the showvision skirt (which I like to use for the 13th - 21st parties). I had my next door neighbour (a regular Handy Manny) drill two extra holes in each end of the main bar so I now have a hole on all four sides allowing me to use the bar the other way.

I can now slot this straight into the deckstand (without using the riser/extension bars) and now the showvision deckskirt (shorter than the NJD) fits perfectly around the deckstand. So for me it's killed two birds with one stone.

So hopefully Tony should get some pics of how it's meant to look tonight and I'll take some of my improvised bar and the end result with the showvision deckskirt.

I received mine earlier this week, it is excellent and way beyond my expectations of a quick alternative to my starcloth. It has been completely re-designed from the see through curtain and bendy rail design - the whole thing slots together with ease and gives the look of an S & H booth minus the fairy lights.

Additionally it's probably worth adding that the plain cloth is made from a (almost) crease proof material and hangs very well.

Mark Wild
09-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Please lord don't let it look like the S&H Booth, if it does I'm gonna feel slightly out of pocket :(

2Groove
09-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Wow - it all sounds very promising! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and hopefuly placing an order very soon!

simonp
09-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Please lord don't let it look like the S&H Booth, if it does I'm gonna feel slightly out of pocket :(

:lol: It does look like the Booth because it has the height and wraps around plus you can control what angle the sides sit at.

However, sleep easy Mr W, although looking like the S&H to the untrained eye it does look like a cheaper version ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
09-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Yes its a vast improvement on the old one was sent pictures and details early this week as i am a stockist,they should do well with this product.

Care to share the pictures Tony...and any preferential price for point-of-sale ;)

DJ Tony McQue
10-04-2011, 01:21 AM
I used mine for the first time a few hours ago, I think I got a bit carried away even comparing it to the S & H booth. Whilst it is a vast improvement over the last version, it took time to get looking good and I found it a bit fiddly to put together. I can post images tomorrow if anyone is interested but I think I am going to sell mine and stick with the custom rail Andy made for me and my NJD cloth.

Davy
10-04-2011, 02:34 AM
I used mine for the first time a few hours ago, I think I got a bit carried away even comparing it to the S & H booth. Whilst it is a vast improvement over the last version, it took time to get looking good and I found it a bit fiddly to put together. I can post images tomorrow if anyone is interested but I think I am going to sell mine and stick with the custom rail Andy made for me and my NJD cloth.

First dibs when you do :-)

Dynamic Entertainment
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Defo interested in the pictures if you could post them please:)

DJ Tony McQue
10-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Some photos from last night with the new curtain kit - I had 30 minutes to get setup after the meal before starting the first dance so I know the rig is rough around the edges. Just for the benefit of those interested in buying one:

Mark Wild
11-04-2011, 03:16 AM
You owe me a drink for worrying me !

DJ Tony McQue
11-04-2011, 06:43 AM
You owe me a drink for worrying me !

I was hoping you would be so impressed that you would swap mine for your S & H plus babysit for me for an entire year.

Corabar Steve
11-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Out of interest, how do you make the bottom follow the same lines as the top? Is there a second rail or something inserted in it?

Any close-ups of how the rail attaches to the stand?

DJ Tony McQue
11-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Out of interest, how do you make the bottom follow the same lines as the top? Is there a second rail or something inserted in it?

Any close-ups of how the rail attaches to the stand?

There is no rail on the bottom, the curtain just seems to hang with a little bit of guidance. I didn't get any other photos, I am selling the curtain kit to Davy but I am sure he will be happy to carry the torch on this thread.

Corabar Steve
11-04-2011, 09:16 AM
OK, so does it clip on like the old one or is it something more substantial?

DJ Tony McQue
11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
The clips have gone, it is a solid metal bar that slots into the L shaped brackets and solid bars that bolt onto the sides which make it look like a booth.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
The clips have gone, it is a solid metal bar that slots into the L shaped brackets and solid bars that bolt onto the sides which make it look like a booth.

Is there one for the micro booth?

Corabar Steve
11-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Is there one for the micro booth?
It would appear so from the description, although they still haven't put the correct photo on the page http://www.ultimax1.com/trusslite/details/14/2/dj-stands/accessories/micromax-dj-stand-front-curtain-kit-mk-ii.html

Excalibur
11-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Thank you. That description has just put in my mind exactly how to fabricate something along those lines. Then I shall take a large piece of blackout curtain to the Lady in the village who drives the sewing machine, and ask her to fit it with some Velcro. Magic.

simonp
11-04-2011, 01:09 PM
This is mine from the weekend. The first picture is of the corner where the hinge is with the extra two holes drilled allowing me to use it at the same height as the deckstand (I have added Blue Peters best sticky back velcro to the front of the rail)

The second pic was taken as I was setting up having just hung the showvision curtain on it.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/floorfillerz/curtiankitcustomisation.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/floorfillerz/curtainkitwithshowvision.jpg

2Groove
12-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Ultimax have put the pictures of the MKII up on the website, but I'm confused now as it still looks just like the MKI that doesn't wrap around the sides :confused:

DJ Tony McQue
12-04-2011, 11:45 AM
This is mine from the weekend. The first picture is of the corner where the hinge is with the extra two holes drilled allowing me to use it at the same height as the deckstand (I have added Blue Peters best sticky back velcro to the front of the rail)

The second pic was taken as I was setting up having just hung the showvision curtain on it.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/floorfillerz/curtiankitcustomisation.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/floorfillerz/curtainkitwithshowvision.jpg

Velcro - that's the answer! How did you get the velcro to stick to your cloth? I am scared of getting it sewn into my starcloth for fear of the cables getting damaged.

2Groove
12-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Ahh, its all clear now! There was an error uploading images on the Ultimax webiste and should be rectified within an hour or so....

DJ Tony McQue
12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Ultimax have put the pictures of the MKII up on the website, but I'm confused now as it still looks just like the MKI that doesn't wrap around the sides :confused:

If you click on the image, it brings up a picture of the new curtain kit wrapped around the stand. It has to be said that photo is terrible and makes the curtain look shabby.

Dynamic Entertainment
12-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I dont think I'll be buying one....

simonp
12-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Velcro - that's the answer! How did you get the velcro to stick to your cloth? I am scared of getting it sewn into my starcloth for fear of the cables getting damaged.

I've stuck the spiky side of the velcro to the rail and it naturally sticks to the rear of the showvision curtain - no need to attach velcro to the curtain at all :)