PDA

View Full Version : So much choice, so little space - Oh what to buy!!!

DiscoMagic
21-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I question posed - if you guys don't me bending your ears (or typing fingers) to give me advice and thoughts... :daft:

OK - so I am currently in the process of re-vamping my setup and am currently in the very early stages of this. Part of which is to upgrade my setup to make it more appealing to the larger venues and the higher end market.

I currently have the following setup...

Light Show
Ultimax 4ft single bar stand
2x Acme Stormbirds
1 x ACME Miracle LED
1x Cheepo QTX Scanner
Prolight starcloth
4x Acme LED slimline par cans (used for colour wash or uplighting)

Sound
Numark Dimension Amp
2 Wharfedale Pro EVP XP15 cabs
1x trantec radio handheld mic
Traktor Pro running from Apple Pro Macbook
Numark Audio Kontrol external soundcard.
OLD Gemini 8 channel mixer.
Numark IDJ2 mixer

So here's where I'm stuck and throw it out to you guys...

What are suggestions for light show - my current set up is ok but nothing special... I have thought about moving heads, wizards, Kam starclusters etc etc but what ever I get needs to effectively fill a room and look great without the need for a smoke machine, and attractive to both clients and venues alike.

I have thought about a booth - I have heard about S&H but know there is another manufacturer out there - which is better?

And finally what are people thought on a controller for Traktor, a dedicated controller or timecoded CD's

Problems I have is I only drive a Passat Estate, as oppose to a van so space is limited. And as I usually only work alone it needs to be fairly quick and easy to tear down at the end of the night... one of my regular venues insist on me going within 1 hour.

The million dollor question I know everyone will ask is "what is my budget"... well as I am fortunate enough to work full time which I use for living, the true answer is it doesn't matter, but I don't really want over kill - ie I would love the funktion 1 speaker system - but would I buy it? not unless I won the lotto :D

Over to you guys.... :beer1: :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

yourdj
21-03-2011, 03:34 PM
And finally what are people thought on a controller for Traktor, a dedicated controller or timecoded CD's

Problems I have is I only drive a Passat Estate, as oppose to a van so space is limited. And as I usually only work alone it needs to be fairly quick and easy to tear down at the end of the night... one of my regular venues insist on me going within 1 hour.

I would personally suggest the following is your looking at a tight space and half decent kit:
This is a bit like what i use (vestax,itch and same case, LD dave system) and it does wonders.

1 hour :eek: - more like 20 mins with one trip - if you choose this option :D

http://www.odysseygear.com/img/product_images/fzgstks4_L0.jpg

http://www.joondalupmusic.com.au/product/HK+AUDIO+LUCAS+PERFORMER.jpg

Lighting? Go for a couple of really good lights (wizards, moving heads etc.) and some LED washes & room fillers like a star cluster.

ppentertainments
21-03-2011, 03:41 PM
and the higher end market.

Changing your kit will make no difference to appealing to the higher end market. You have decent enough kit so to appeal to this market you need to concentrate on yourself and your marketing strategy NOT your kit.

My main lighting consists of 2 datamoons with a few parcans and I get quite a bit higher end work. Will admit am looking to replace my current centrepiece of a cluster laser on top of a Kam Swingfire (tbh I rarely even turn this on but the size is great for holding and hiding the wiring), but most the time just using the datamoons.

Charlie Brown
21-03-2011, 03:47 PM
S&H booth or deckstand booth pro will make you look the bizz. ;)

DiscoMagic
21-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I would personally suggest the following is your looking at a tight space and half decent kit:
This is a bit like what i use (vestax,itch and same case, LD dave system) and it does wonders.

is that the S4??? I have looked at this - still debating whether it is worth the £800 plus flight case - or if there a cheaper option without all the bells and wistles - but then it does have a built in sound card :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Changing your kit will make no difference to appealing to the higher end market.

Totally disagree.

There are certain standards and some venues want a certain look.

ppentertainments
21-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Totally disagree.

But with the kit list stated, provided they are still tidy, there are few venues which would complain. Also depends if the OP is selling to venues or clients.

If certain venues want a certain look it would be a waste speculating on equipment prior to finding out what the venue want.

Excalibur
21-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Totally disagree.

Ah yes, but as my wife says about me:- Looks aren't everything. ;) :D

A theory with no litttle validity, Darren. A tenable point of view.

Right, off to answer the OP. At the moment , I'm recommending this as the basis for a lighting rig, just because I'm loving it more and more with every gig. For maximum benefit, it needs to be run on DMX, but it's a doddle.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm

Add two decent scanners or barrels, and a laser, and I think you're covered. I don't think you need Wizards/EFX, but they're certainly lovely pieces of kit to have, if a tad bulky mayhap.;) :(

Have a look at the new DSB offering, apparently it folds up quite small. Good kit. I'd buy one, if I could justify/afford it.

Sound, well again, if space is more vital than cost, have a listen to the QSC cabs. A bit of a different sound, but again, really good kit. Hope this helps.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-03-2011, 06:46 PM
A theory with no litttle validity, Darren.

It's not a theory. It is what I know. There are companies I have worked for that require the DJ to use certain speaker manufacturers and S&H booths for example as that is the standard that the venue expects. That is what they say they will supply.

Just because you don't believe in this 'theory' doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It does. There are a lot of high end Hotels and venues who would not give their business to companies if they sent a DJ with (for example) lightscreens and an old fashioned scruffy set up. That is why I said there are standards.

I am not saying and never have, that the gear is the be all and end all. I don't believe that and those who know me know I am not a gear snob, but the gear is a big part of what we do. If it wasn't, then why would we bother using velcro and tidying cables? Presentation is important and certain venues pay for certain looks.

Excalibur
21-03-2011, 07:13 PM
It's not a theory. It is what I know. There are companies I have worked for that require the DJ to use certain speaker manufacturers and S&H booths for example as that is the standard that the venue expects. That is what they say they will supply.
Accepted. I stand corrected on that point. It may however resurrect an old favourite thread. I'll just check that I fitted the newe Kevlar panel to the :sofa:

Just because you don't believe in this 'theory' doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It does. There are a lot of high end Hotels and venues who would not give their business to companies if they sent a DJ with (for example) lightscreens and an old fashioned scruffy set up. That is why I said there are standards.
Errr, I never said I didn't believe it. ;) And I do of course know it exists. And you know the question I'm going to pose, before I nip behind this strategically placed, Kevlar reinforced :sofa:

"Would they still continue to employ an immaculately dressed DJ, with immaculate gear,carrying all the right badges, and laid out with surgical precision, if he was a total numpty, with nil musical knowledge, the personality of a slug, and customer handling skills of Victor Meldrew" ?

An extreme example, but it illustrates the point. I'll just nip behind this :sofa: , I may be gone some time. :D

I am not saying and never have, that the gear is the be all and end all. I don't believe that and those who know me know I am not a gear snob, but the gear is a big part of what we do. If it wasn't, then why would we bother using velcro and tidying cables? Presentation is important and certain venues pay for certain looks.

Absolutely, totally and utterly agree with that. Where there may be a fair amount of divergence, is that I am resident/preferred at a smart local Golf Club, because I'm good at what I do, amenable, and reliable. When I first went in there, my kit looked crap. Only good when the lights were out. :o :o It in no way negates your point, I fully accept, but it does show that there are many many factors to consider, and that though as you so often say "Everything matters", one single factor may not be sufficient reason to book or ban a certain Disco/DJ.

In no way am I advocating a scruffy or careless setup, nor kit which isn't fit for purpose.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-03-2011, 07:17 PM
"Would they still continue to employ an immaculately dressed DJ, with immaculate gear,carrying all the right badges, and laid out with surgical precision, if he was a total numpty, with nil musical knowledge, the personality of a slug, and customer handling skills of Victor Meldrew" ?

An extreme example, but it illustrates the point. I'll just nip behind this :sofa: , I may be gone some time. :D

We weren't talking about the skills of the DJ though, we are discussing equipment and yes, there are idiots who have great gear, but there are also great DJs who have great gear.

Excalibur
21-03-2011, 07:26 PM
We weren't talking about the skills of the DJ though, we are discussing equipment and yes, there are idiots who have great gear, but there are also great DJs who have great gear.

Agreed, but is it right to view the two as separate entities, or are they a package? Is the sum of the parts greater than the whole? Is one out of two sufficient for a pass mark? Can I come out from behind here :sofa: yet? :confused: :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm off to use the search facility, and if I don't find answers, I may return to light the blue touchpaper. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Agreed, but is it right to view the two as separate entities

It is when you are discussing the merits of a certain standard of gear, yes.

TONYTIGER
21-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I question posed - if you guys don't me bending your ears (or typing fingers) to give me advice and thoughts... :daft:

OK - so I am currently in the process of re-vamping my setup and am currently in the very early stages of this. Part of which is to upgrade my setup to make it more appealing to the larger venues and the higher end market.

I currently have the following setup...

Light Show
Ultimax 4ft single bar stand
2x Acme Stormbirds
1 x ACME Miracle LED
1x Cheepo QTX Scanner
Prolight starcloth
4x Acme LED slimline par cans (used for colour wash or uplighting)

Sound
Numark Dimension Amp
2 Wharfedale Pro EVP XP15 cabs
1x trantec radio handheld mic
Traktor Pro running from Apple Pro Macbook
Numark Audio Kontrol external soundcard.
OLD Gemini 8 channel mixer.
Numark IDJ2 mixer

So here's where I'm stuck and throw it out to you guys...

What are suggestions for light show - my current set up is ok but nothing special... I have thought about moving heads, wizards, Kam starclusters etc etc but what ever I get needs to effectively fill a room and look great without the need for a smoke machine, and attractive to both clients and venues alike.

I have thought about a booth - I have heard about S&H but know there is another manufacturer out there - which is better?

The million dollor question I know everyone will ask is "what is my budget"... well as I am fortunate enough to work full time which I use for living, the true answer is it doesn't matter, but I don't really want over kill - ie I would love the funktion 1 speaker system - but would I buy it? not unless I won the lotto :D

Over to you guys.... :beer1: :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Right back to the topic here are my thoughts of how to update Disco Magics show ,i am taking in to account his transport and the gear already owned.
Firstly re your stand loose the single bar and replace with the double version also dump the prolight curtain and get a nice wool surge one not to many leds.You could also add winch pods to your stand to speed set up times.

Lighting keep your led pars ,nice centre effect Wizard or such like and nice graphic laser Ataria would do the job that would be a good to start with.

Pa small and powerful is the way to go ,plenty of actives that will do the job.
depending on your budget and the venues you play.Or go mad and look at the nexo range 3kw and fits on the back seat of any car.

Better mixer imho is needed , keep the Mac the Vestax that Toby suggested is a great bit of kit.
Just my thoughts feel free to ignore if im not on your wavelength.:)

DiscoMagic
21-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey :)

The the reason I started this thread was simply this... I don't like my setup or rather I think it needs improving...

I have to agree with agree with Solitaire and that side of the "discussion' tho, and here's why...

Before Christmas I did a job share for corporate discos at a local 4* hotel.

The first night my mate turned up with his expensive but small speakers, and minima but quality lights. Result? The hotel complained that the speakers were too small and there wasn't enough lights. I turned up the next night with large but lower quality wharfedales and cheaper lights with a bigger set up and an over head bar lighting rig. The hotel loved it!!!

Morale of the story is that looks are important, and if I want to get into the higher end market then I really do believe that my setup needs to reflect the venue and the clients wishes... Would you be happy if your hired The Savoy for your wedding / function and the DJ turned up with cheepo setup and maplin lights??? (even if he was an amazing DJ) - extreme example I know :lol:

However I respect everyones opinion which, of course, they are entitled to ;)

Right can we get back :ontopic: please - I have attached some pic of my setup for viewing pleasure (and to give a visual idea of what I have)

Cheers :beer1:

Charlie Brown
21-03-2011, 10:24 PM
IMO your setup looks nice but no where near 'classy' for real high end gigs.

http://www.discofever.co.uk/video.htm - This website is a perfect example. They obviously get a lot of 'high end' work...there setup is simple but effective.

£700 for a booth.
£800 for a wizard or something simular
£150 for a lighting stand
£800 for a pair of nice Mackie V2s
and your off. Certainly something to aspire to...

TONYTIGER
22-03-2011, 06:04 AM
IMO your setup looks nice but no where near 'classy' for real high end gigs.

http://www.discofever.co.uk/video.htm - This website is a perfect example. They obviously get a lot of 'high end' work...there setup is simple but effective.

£700 for a booth.
£800 for a wizard or something simular
£150 for a lighting stand
£800 for a pair of nice Mackie V2s
and your off. Certainly something to aspire to...

Why would he want to spend £800 on a pair of Mackie V2s he is trying to upgrade his show .:D

yourdj
22-03-2011, 06:30 AM
is that the S4??? I have looked at this - still debating whether it is worth the £800 plus flight case - or if there a cheaper option without all the bells and wistles - but then it does have a built in sound card :)

They all have soundcards :) A decent controller is a great option. There are much cheaper options as you know. The Vestax VCI 100 is a good one. I would get something better - depends what you want it for at the end of the day. You can get flight cases for all of them. I got my case for £100 (magma):

http://images.google.co.uk/images?as_q=traktor+controller&hl=en&output=search&tbs=isch%3A1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgtype=&imgsz=&imgw=&imgh=&imgar=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=off&as_st=y&biw=1283&bih=686

Lighting keep your led pars ,nice centre effect Wizard or such like and nice graphic laser Ataria

Pa small and powerful is the way to go ,plenty of actives that will do the job.
depending on your budget and the venues you play.Or go mad and look at the nexo range 3kw and fits on the back seat of any car.

:agree: on the lights ;)

Sound: nexo, JBL, RCF, HK etc. actives

I have some art 310's and for the size/price they are very loud.

For space I would still put forward the sub and sattilite systems by LD, HK.
If you want something better look at Fohhn - £2000 +

http://www.allantaylor.com/gear/Fohhn/fohhn.jpg

Javlingames
22-03-2011, 08:10 AM
As long as the gear looks tidy and presentable and is up to the job. The only request I get occasionally is for a starcloth booth or backdrop. Ive never experienced a hotel/client insisting i use a certain make of speaker or such like.

Having all of the best gear wont secure gigs in high end venues, tidy gear and a professional attitude will.

DiscoMagic
22-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Better mixer imho is needed , keep the Mac the Vestax that Toby suggested is a great bit of kit.
Just my thoughts feel free to ignore if im not on your wavelength.:)

Wont ignore any friendly advice given Tony - Thanks :approve:

Lots of ideas to think about.. thanks to everyone so far!!! - Keep em coming :D

Has anyone used the S4 controller - whats the feedback? Or indeed any other controllers... and is this the preferred option over Time Coded CD's with Traktor?

Can I fit my ultimax stand inside the S&H or DBS booths - or would I need to but a new lighting rig?

You could also add winch pods to your stand to speed set up times.

What are these winch pods, how do they work and how do they speed up set up and tear down time??? Sorry for my lack of knowledge:daft:

Cheers y'all

:DJ:

TONYTIGER
22-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Wont ignore any friendly advice given Tony - Thanks :approve:

Lots of ideas to think about.. thanks to everyone so far!!! - Keep em coming :D

Has anyone used the S4 controller - whats the feedback? Or indeed any other controllers... and is this the preferred option over Time Coded CD's with Traktor?

Can I fit my ultimax stand inside the S&H or DBS booths - or would I need to but a new lighting rig?

What are these winch pods, how do they work and how do they speed up set up and tear down time??? Sorry for my lack of knowledge:daft:

Cheers y'all

:DJ:

As you work on your own it will mean you can have your bar at head height hang your lights on then just wind them up to the height you require,no having to stand on something and trying to lift on your own,full details on the Ultimax site& will fit any width stand with the right end frames.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-03-2011, 04:18 PM

S&H will fit around your ultimax...that was one of the design features of it. DSBP...well, it means that you dont really need the Ultimax, but IIRC you can use it without the shelves as a surround similar to the S&H :)