PDA

View Full Version : Ear plugs? Does anybody use them?

alexperrins
31-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Just wondered a few things on ear plugs..

(a) do any of you play gigs/sets where the music would be loud enough to wear them (though some would argue you should wear them all the time)?
(b) Also, does anybody use a db meter on a regular basis – would you recommend taking one on every occasion?
(c) Where can I get a good pair from and how much do they cost?

Alex

Paul James Promotions
31-08-2006, 02:07 PM
(b) Also, does anybody use a db meter on a regular basis – would you recommend taking one on every occasion?

I carry an RS unit in my tool case. Don't use it very often.

Ricesnaps
31-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I have a db meter, which I borrowed from an old company I worked for, left and seem to still have!

As Jamie said, don't get a lot of use - more for my own curiosity really and never seem to be getting really high readings. However there has been the odd occasion where we've been expecting environmental health out or have actually had them out and it's a fantastic defence to have up your sleave!

Have a disco
31-08-2006, 03:01 PM
I carry earplugs around with me these are available at any good hardware store but I admit I very rarely use them even though I have the signs of tinitus after an event I really should start wearing them

Shaun
31-08-2006, 04:00 PM
I got some good 'Musicians Earplugs' on ebay. I use them intermittently. However..I can't mix with them in, so I end up taking them out.

pagan_flame
31-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I always have a few sets of cheapo foam plugs - the tool hire place HSS sell 5 pairs for a quid - for when I am faced with playing alongside a band for the evening... I have found myself being told to set up directly in front of a PA stack on more than one occasion.

My Mum was right - 'that rock music will make you go deaf' - I have first stage tinnitus; but she didn't specify about not sticking my head in the bass bins at Motorhead gigs or spending all day in front of the speaker stacks at the Monsters of Rock festivals...

I always wear them if I am in front of speakers, but never if I am behind them.

ian8limelight
31-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Can't say I've ever worn them for gigs .................. only on aeroplanes !

Mind you, if you get any dodgy requests ................................ :teeth:

leighinstoke
31-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Too late for me - I've had tinnitus since my early teens.

Was told, when being assessed a few years back, that my DJing probably doesn't help so make sure I don't go from LOUD to complete silence at the end of a show - just wind the volume down slowly and listen to music (radio, etc) on the way home else the silence can really play me up and give a real good whistle!

Just wish I had a Graphic EQ in my head to wind the 12kHz down. :)

Leigh...

soundlad
31-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I work in a hardware store they are 15p per pair!!! :teeth:

Keri
31-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I got some good 'Musicians Earplugs' on ebay. I use them intermittently. However..I can't mix with them in, so I end up taking them out.

Theres special DJ ear plugs that are made for your ear etc bout £300 a pair i think. They limit the sound but with you still able to hear well enough to be able to mix.

DMX Will
31-08-2006, 09:06 PM
We wear them when doing gigs such as concerts etc. Although discos we don't really find the need for it. We use disposable ones, which allow us to loose them, and give them out to any of our freelancers without a massive cost :)

Shaun
31-08-2006, 09:32 PM
My Mum was right - 'that rock music will make you go deaf' - I have first stage tinnitus;.

I've had tinitus for over 10 years. It drives me nuts late at night when all is silent.

dj andy allwood
01-09-2006, 10:10 AM
i dont need them as i have enough wax in my ears anyway lol