PDA

View Full Version : Skytec 200w Cabs

BossmanKaraokeDisco
31-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi Guys
Got a pair of Skytec 200w cabs with splitter built in.

The problem I have is that one of the splitters has fell apart and the resistor that controls the top end has fell off it. I thought easy, buy a new on and solder it on the board.

Went to Maplins and RS componente and neither could help cos all the resistor has written on it is: 20W75RJ

They think this means 20 watt, 75 ohm but neither stock anything similar.

Can anyone advise where I could purchase one or if there is an alternative that would do the job, or should I just find a skip :embarasse

Dave (Bossman Karaoke disco)

PS. I think they are 200w cabs, but they could be 300w.

CRAZY K
31-08-2006, 05:22 PM
If all you want is a bass/ middle filter for the horn I would think a maplin part would be available off the shelf immediately as long as it has a suitable power rating.

Your lucky you had a filter at all--when I looked inside my Skytecs years ago there was nothing at all! Filters that is! :teeth:

I fitted an old filter that came from a Goodmans horn I bought 30 years ago--sounds magic--I did replace the horn driver with a new one--from Maplins.

Cost at least £10!

No one will believe me--but it actually sounds very presentable for low power gigs!

Power ratings? pretty meaningless--low to medium power only.

Ring me if you want any help--see what the others say first :)

CRAZY K
01832 734788

spin mobile disco
08-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi i have the web address for the company that makes these speakers they have a spares section so may be able to get some from here address is http://www.skytronic.co.uk/product/index.php?code=LS.15.20
hope this helps they have contact info on this website just say your speakers are faulty they may send a new one out gratis (stranger things have happened) at least they may be able to identify the part and give you its specs.

Hope this helps you.

Harrison's Discos
08-09-2006, 11:59 PM
This hasnt really come from me, but I have heard rumours that skytech speakers are poor for live music. Maybe its just a rumour but I havent yet heard any in action, but looking at their website they look good :)

abyssdjhire
09-09-2006, 02:42 AM
This hasnt really come from me, but I have heard rumours that skytech speakers are poor for live music. Maybe its just a rumour but I havent yet heard any in action, but looking at their website they look good :)

without saying too much, they're poor for most things, to be fair... dont mean to sound harsh.

i'd personally take it as a hint that its time to upgrade :)

soundtracker
09-09-2006, 07:59 AM
... dont mean to sound harsh.

:)

Even if the speakers do! :teeth:

abyssdjhire
09-09-2006, 09:25 AM
well.. say no more :)

dj_ags
09-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Come on guys, lets not ridicule his equipment. He has simply asked for some advice about where he can buy a replacement part for his Skytecs, so if you have more information regarding the above, then im sure Dave would appreciate it :thumbs_up :)

abyssdjhire
09-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Come on guys, lets not ridicule his equipment. He has simply asked for some advice about where he can buy a replacement part for his Skytecs, so if you have more information regarding the above, then im sure Dave would appreciate it :thumbs_up :)

i just gave some, in regards to this part -

Can anyone advise where I could purchase one or if there is an alternative that would do the job, or should I just find a skip

dj_ags
09-09-2006, 09:58 AM
:teeth: LOL :teeth:

Fair point, but if anyone has any information, then im sure Dave would appreciate it :beer: :thumbs_up

abyssdjhire
09-09-2006, 11:29 AM
what you could do, dave, is go back into maplins and buy two new crossovers and change them completely. i really dont think its worth the effort though

CRAZY K
09-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I disagree--look at my previous post on this.

For low power bookings where a top of the range system is not needed these are acceptable---

If you are charging hundreds and hundreds of pounds--get something else

If you want to get rid of them let me know :teeth:

CRAZY K

spin mobile disco
09-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I have 2 skytech 15 inch 300 watt speakers i have just upgraded to peavey. To be honest they dont sound very different to each other, but the peaveys can get a bit louder for less amp power. And if anyone wants the old Speakers im looking for £100 the pair + delivery but if you wanna oick em up thats fine.

DMX Will
09-09-2006, 01:43 PM
In my experience....SkyTec do the job. So all this mocking is a bit unfair, especially as I suspect you haven't used them on the road guys?

I got hold of some 8" (150w) SkyTec speakers about 3 years ago, and they sounded mint then, as they do now. I ran 50w/channel into them and they out ran some gemini speakers having 400w pumping into them for volume. SkyTec tend to use heavier magnets increasing the volume. These units are far better than SoundLab, JB Systems and Gemini.

I might also add I've used them in many situations including discos; band foldback; sports day PA and used in a school production to create surround sound for a show.

spin mobile disco
09-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Actually have been using mine on road for last year only upgrading to help fill the larger venues.

BossmanKaraokeDisco
13-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the feedback you have given, Have sorted the problem out and replaced the resistor on the board, well in fact it took 4 to make up the correct size.
In response to some of the other comments, I know these are not top range speakers but for rooms up to 150 people I have found the sound quality perfect.
I am sure there is better around and as the show builds again and the money starts coming in I will probably upgrade.
Once again thanks fore all your advice and constructive criticism

Dave (Bossman Karaoke Disco)