PDA

View Full Version : For the benefit of Excalibur

Shaun
03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Very quick review of the KAM powerbar.

First thoughts were WOW, very bright (which is a good thing). Quick and easy to setup and the level of control via the foot pedal is adequate.

Reliability....not to happy after last night, it died on me, leaving me running around like a headless chicken trying to set up additional lighting to replace it.

Excalibur
03-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Very quick review of the KAM powerbar.

First thoughts were WOW, very bright (which is a good thing). Quick and easy to setup and the level of control via the foot pedal is adequate.

Reliability....not to happy after last night, it died on me, leaving me running around like a headless chicken trying to set up additional lighting to replace it.

Quick? :confused: Quick? :confused: I blinked and missed it. :p :D :D :D

Now then, how to phrase this very very carefully. :confused: I must at all costs avoid telling Shaun that if he'd been able to find the Scottish translation of a well known German company, he could have saved nearly £150, and got a machine that responds to a DMX desk that I can drive, rather than one capable of launching and landing the space shuttle.

And I definitely shouldn't point out that the lesser offering performed faultlessly last night in Hull, for that woulkd be insensitive, and impolite, so I can't say that. :( Hmmmmm, what should I put? :confused: Ah, I know.

Shaun, I'm sorry to hear of your mishaps with the kit, what an unexpected and disappointing experience. As far as I know, KAM kit has an unparalleled track record for reliability. I'm sure you coped admirably with the setback, and isn't the adrenaline rush an exhilarating feeling? ;)

( And next time, maybe you'll take notice of what sage and venerable Tykes tell you, instead of dismissing them as doddering old fools. :p :D :D :D :D :D :D )

Shaun
03-04-2011, 01:22 PM
In response to the doddering old fool above... "Duly Noted!" :d

Excalibur
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
In response to the doddering old fool above... "Duly Noted!" :d

Right , fun over. ;) Deep breath, stop laughing, be serious.

Shaun, do you know what the problem was? Have you rectified it? If not, will it require a return to base?

As far as I'm aware, Paul has had no such issues with his. After reading the manual for the KAM, it is apparent that the two units, although seemingly almost identical, probably differ greatly in the control software/hardware.

Shaun
03-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Right , fun over. ;) Deep breath, stop laughing, be serious.

Shaun, do you know what the problem was? Have you rectified it? If not, will it require a return to base?

As far as I'm aware, Paul has had no such issues with his. After reading the manual for the KAM, it is apparent that the two units, although seemingly almost identical, probably differ greatly in the control software/hardware.

No idea what it could be. I've did all the checks I can think of so I guess it's a return to retailer job. :(

The lights were on static colour at the time it happened, and they just went pop! These things happen though, it's just the incovenience of having to pack it all up and send it back. Apart from that I love the product.

Excalibur
03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
No idea what it could be. I've did all the checks I can think of so I guess it's a return to retailer job. :(

The lights were on static colour at the time it happened, and they just went pop! These things happen though, it's just the incovenience of having to pack it all up and send it back. Apart from that I love the product.

At least it's in England. If at any time I have to send mine back,you'll be the one pointing a finger, and laughing.;) :D :D :D :D :D

For anyone considering buying such a product, or similar one, these tri led ones are fantastic, with an enormous light output. Last night, mine was beating the house lights ( which were not turned off, at all. Grrrrrr. )

Creature
04-04-2011, 05:48 AM
My Kam Power Bars now have some 700 hours usage and so far no problems.

In fact have a lot of Kam Led/Lasers and touch wood none have given me any problems. Apart from A Kam Javlin were the mains socket broke.

Took to my local dj shop (38 miles away) the next time i was passing - they phoned me up 10 days later with a full warrenty repair completed by Kam, so picked it up the following time I was heading that way.

Twinspin
04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
At least it's in England. If at any time I have to send mine back,you'll be the one pointing a finger, and laughing.;) :D :D :D :D :D

For anyone considering buying such a product, or similar one, these tri led ones are fantastic, with an enormous light output. Last night, mine was beating the house lights ( which were not turned off, at all. Grrrrrr. )

I can vouch for Mr Excalibur on this they were very good those stairville ones peter had with him. I fancy something like that myself soonish so ill probably get that one.

Spirits High
04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Surprised to hear of your problem Shaun. So far mines been fine. The only slight niggle is with the foot controller where I've had to put some tape on the plug that goes into the bar just to reinforce it a bit.

As you know I started using my last July so I think you've just been unlucky :(

CRAZY K
04-04-2011, 08:53 PM

Peter, my local DJ shop were trying to persuade me to look at an LED colour bar---naturally Shauns experience has not encouraged me greatly--especially as I have no idea how you carry back up to replace something as essential as coloured lighting ( in my show anyway)

Does this mean I am consigned to keeping my existing PAR type lights made in the 80s in Spain in case of a total blow out which is pretty frightening and I feel really sorry for Shaun---talk about embarrassing.

My current worst case scenario is to lose one of four lights during a performance---never happened in reality --I have lost one lamp in 5 years and a transformer after a performance.

Are you saying your LED Bar is a different model to Shauns and what difference is that likely to make---or is it the luck of the draw at work again---not a game I want to play:eek:

Do you leave yours permanently on for long periods---which I need to and following comments from Matt at Spin makes you wonder whether these units are properly soaked at the factory before being shipped.

I know nothing of LED products technically but it sounds like a short has taken out a fuse or :Censored: the whole unit in one go.

thanks in advance

Excalibur
05-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Peter, my local DJ shop were trying to persuade me to look at an LED colour bar---naturally Shauns experience has not encouraged me greatly--especially as I have no idea how you carry back up to replace something as essential as coloured lighting ( in my show anyway)
Err, this could form an entire thread on its own. ( Perhaps I may do one later.) I originally intended to buy a cheaper less powerful model, but was advised to go for this type. I am very glad I took that advice. Back up? Buy two bars. :D :D :D

Are you saying your LED Bar is a different model to Shauns and what difference is that likely to make---or is it the luck of the draw at work again---not a game I want to play:eek:
Mine is the Stairville from Thomann.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm
Shaun purchased the KAM Powerbar, the same one as Paul (Spirits High ) uses. When I got mine, I rang Paul for a chat, and initially it appeared that they were virtually identical. Having read the KAM manual, they are physically very very similar, but the software/Hardware is very different.

Again, with help from another member, I was able to control mine via DMX very easily. I rang Shaun to tell him how much of a bonus this was, and urge him to try it. The KAM is far more complex, and harder to run via DMX. However, since the built in control is more powerful than mine, it is possible to run them quite satisfactorily with the supplied foot controller.

Do you leave yours permanently on for long periods---which I need to and following comments from Matt at Spin makes you wonder whether these units are properly soaked at the factory before being shipped.

I know nothing of LED products technically but it sounds like a short has taken out a fuse or :Censored: the whole unit in one go.

thanks in advance

Permanently as in static, no. I have regularly left it on static for three hour stretches, without incident. On Saturday, it had a seven hour runout, but not on static all the time.

The common feature of mine, Paul's and Shaun's is the small number of high powered LED's used. I would guess that the models with multiple numbers of smaller LED's might have greater failure rates, due to the design of them.

The Tri led, and the Powerbar are very very bright. They are also quick to set up, and easy to transport.

CRAZY K
05-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Err, this could form an entire thread on its own. ( Perhaps I may do one later.) I originally intended to buy a cheaper less powerful model, but was advised to go for this type. I am very glad I took that advice. Back up? Buy two bars. :D :D :D

Mine is the Stairville from Thomann.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm
Shaun purchased the KAM Powerbar, the same one as Paul (Spirits High ) uses. When I got mine, I rang Paul for a chat, and initially it appeared that they were virtually identical. Having read the KAM manual, they are physically very very similar, but the software/Hardware is very different.

Again, with help from another member, I was able to control mine via DMX very easily. I rang Shaun to tell him how much of a bonus this was, and urge him to try it. The KAM is far more complex, and harder to run via DMX. However, since the built in control is more powerful than mine, it is possible to run them quite satisfactorily with the supplied foot controller.

Permanently as in static, no. I have regularly left it on static for three hour stretches, without incident. On Saturday, it had a seven hour runout, but not on static all the time.

The common feature of mine, Paul's and Shaun's is the small number of high powered LED's used. I would guess that the models with multiple numbers of smaller LED's might have greater failure rates, due to the design of them.

The Tri led, and the Powerbar are very very bright. They are also quick to set up, and easy to transport.

Thanks Peter, may speak to you by PM.

Sounds like they need leaving on static for some hours perhaps after being bought as a back test before leaving home;)