PDA

View Full Version : Stage or Floor?

Shaun
02-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Which do you prefer to be set-up on?

I personally love venues where I'm located on the floor close to the guests. I love being real close to the energy levels I'm creating. I often set-up on the floor even if there's a stage available, I may set up the light show on the stage though.

Which do you prefer?

Candybeatdiscos
02-09-2006, 03:01 PM
i have to say i prefer a stage, i love being up high overlooking everyone..
Was at a gig last night on the floor which was ok as it was under 18s, but i do prefer up on stage..

Danno13
02-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Hard one really.. i find it tends to depend on the type of gig, crowd, size of room etc... Probably overall prefer being at client level as you seem more approachable and will get more requests as people don't have to work their way up onto the stage.

However, if your on a stage you have a much better view so you can pick up reactions better and spot things to mention on the mic etc.

dj andy allwood
02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
i have to say stage although floor is ok as long as they dont kepp bumping into your stuff!!!

secretDISCO
02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Stages are better i suppose, but a few years ago i done a party with a sectional stage.......suffice to say i disappeared down the centre of it half way through the party set.

leighinstoke
02-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Stage also for me - you're there as entertainment and they would expect a musician or band, etc, to be up on there - so why not you?

Also saves, sometimes, having to use speaker poles as you're getting height advantage too - also I feel the stage, if no immediate stairs, puts you in a more secure position too.

Leigh.....

Corabar Steve
02-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Stage for me too, for the above reasons & you can get your lights up high without as much effort.

BeerFunk
02-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Stage for me too, for the above reasons & you can get your lights up high without as much effort.
That was my first thought, the higher you can get the lights the better, I think. I don't know why you want to be on the same level as the dancefloor really?! A lot of CD decks would skip with the vibrations (thankfully mine still play even if you turn them upside down! :omg:)

leighinstoke
03-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Nothing worse than having to setup on a properly sprung dancefloor - done that too many times and had to hold the gear in place!
Leigh...

Have a disco
03-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Varies have done stage & floor and what I call step stage which is in several venues I have done basically an area for bands etc.. I like being above people, but also like being close to them difficult to choose really

ian8limelight
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM

Agree - a venue I worked at used to have an 8 foot high stage which was great.

The only thing I would say about stages is that they need to be fixed/assembled correctly. I have worked on ones in the past which have wobbled more than jelly, and I ended up gaffa-taping it all together to try and give it some stability.

DJ Spinko
03-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I find stages are okay when the venue is full, if there are not too many coming, I'll probably set-up on the floor. I really like the stages that only raise you up off the floor a foot or so, it gives you enough elevation that you are just above the crowd but you can still feel part of them.

Cris
DJ Spinko

Corabar Steve
03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Thinking about it, I'd say a low (1-2' high) stage would be the best of both worlds.

pdarnett
04-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Prefer a stage every time, just getting sick of people slopping beer over my kit and/or pushing deck over. so a stage it is, with barbed wire preferably.

Corabar Steve
04-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Prefer a stage every time, just getting sick of people slopping beer over my kit and/or pushing deck over. so a stage it is, with barbed wire preferably.
& tank traps, trenches, a moat, minefield, electric fence......................

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Have a disco
04-09-2006, 11:29 AM
When I was an old man eh

Corabar Steve
04-09-2006, 11:48 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Denty
05-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Having started mobile in the early/mid-70's where venues were often village halls with no stage and creaking wooden floors, the taping of a 1p piece to the headshell of my trusted sp25's (mark iv mind you!) was almost de rigour for the time - but i used to get through many many stylii to protect my 7 inches (boasting again). Todays cd players (ok, i only know denon) seem to be very resilient to knocks, and a more solid mounting (yeah baby, yeah!) can make a big difference and allow you to perform on the floor or on a pedastool (kinky).To get lights up as high as you can is a deffo yes, speakers with the mid-coil at effective client ear-level is I think the way to go, especially if you can get them at say 7ft with a 10-15 degree downwards angle, especially in a high-ceilinged room/hall unless you start using delay towers or a combination of Turbosounds Flash and Floodlight speakers (wet dream)!!!
Babbling a bit, need to top my glass up..........

Corabar Entertainment
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Having started mobile in the early/mid-70's where venues were often village halls with no stage and creaking wooden floors, the taping of a 1p piece to the headshell of my trusted sp25's (mark iv mind you!) was almost de rigour for the time - but i used to get through many many stylii to protect my 7 inches (boasting again). Todays cd players (ok, i only know denon) seem to be very resilient to knocks, and a more solid mounting (yeah baby, yeah!) can make a big difference and allow you to perform on the floor or on a pedastool (kinky).To get lights up as high as you can is a deffo yes, speakers with the mid-coil at effective client ear-level is I think the way to go, especially if you can get them at say 7ft with a 10-15 degree downwards angle, especially in a high-ceilinged room/hall unless you start using delay towers or a combination of Turbosounds Flash and Floodlight speakers (wet dream)!!!
Babbling a bit, need to top my glass up..............all that, and I'm still not sure which you prefer! :omg:

DMX Will
05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Both have their advantages, although I don't like the look of a mobile set 4ft higher than everyone else, it seems to ruin a look of a good disco i'd say :)

theoloyla
06-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I too prefer a stage but like others I prefer one that is not too high. Just enough to raise and separate (sounds like a wonder bra). If the stage is too high and remote I sometimes find it harder to interact with a small audience.