PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

Ricesnaps
03-09-2006, 09:33 AM
No3 ask...

Having problems with my laptop. It is now regularly switching off with no notice. By that I mean completely as if the plug was pulled - one minute on next black and no power at all!

Any ideas?

It's a Toshiba Satelite Pro - about 3 years old

ian8limelight
03-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Just a thought - Check the Power Options setting under Control Panel to see that they are set correctly.

Also, check that the 'power pack' is inserted correctly and is working.

Ricesnaps
03-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Just a thought - Check the Power Options setting under Control Panel to see that they are set correctly.

Also, check that the 'power pack' is inserted correctly and is working.
Yes and yes!

KrazyKaz
03-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Sounds like lappy is having a "thermal event" - in other words - over heating.

dj_ags
03-09-2006, 10:25 AM
If the laptop is over-heating, then one solution might be that the fan cannot cope, and thus not cooling the laptop down properly. One solution to this might be to buy a laptop docking station with cooling pad. You can pick these up from most good PC retailers. I have got a link from Maplins, but PC World will no doubt stock them.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=542&MenuName=Notebook%20Cooling&FromMenu=y&DOY=search

Just a suggestion, but the case of over-heating may be more in-depth than this.

Sapphire Disco
03-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Had same problem with my Toshiba , The fan gets clogged up with dust & dirt , since mine was cleaned out about a year ago it's been fine .

soundtracker
03-09-2006, 10:51 AM
I also have a tosh, which lives up to its name!

Ricesnaps
03-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Had same problem with my Toshiba , The fan gets clogged up with dust & dirt , since mine was cleaned out about a year ago it's been fine .
Doesn't help that the Dyson has stopped working too!

And you wouldn't believe how many times I got to nearly post tha when the bugger switched off again!

Sapphire Disco
03-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Think you are going to have to take the fan out to clean it properly.
If you turn it sideways ,to stand up like a book it will probably work like that, until you can get it cleaned out, if you don't know what you are doing it might be better to let someone who does, do it .