PDA

View Full Version : Which speaker?

DJSlim
25-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi all,

I have a question about speakers/bass bins.
I have a Behringer EP2000 amp, which gives about 400w in to 8 Ohms and 750 in to 4 Ohms.
I bought a pair of Peavey HiSys2 XT's which are 8 Ohm....but they are quite a size and very heavy! I bought tripods, but god knows how I'll get them on there! Any tips on that gratefully received.....
Should I buy bins and smaller tops? And if I do, can I have 4 Ohm bins and 4 Ohm tops?
Any suggestions?

Thanks. :confused:

Daryll
25-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Hello.

This will aid in working out series and parallel connections of speakers.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#ser.
IMHO , for the smaller gig ( up to 100) , two tops , maybe a 10" or a 12" with horn , with one sub, powered would be nice , then your berry only needs to drive the tops , others , no doubt with have different opinions , but sound is a very subjective matter :D .

Daryll

DJSlim
25-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I had no idea you could get away with one sub. How does the cabling work with a single powered sub? (excuse my ignorance!)

Excalibur
28-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Hi all,

I have a question about speakers/bass bins.
I have a Behringer EP2000 amp, which gives about 400w in to 8 Ohms and 750 in to 4 Ohms.
I bought a pair of Peavey HiSys2 XT's which are 8 Ohm....but they are quite a size and very heavy! I bought tripods, but god knows how I'll get them on there! Any tips on that gratefully received.....
Should I buy bins and smaller tops? And if I do, can I have 4 Ohm bins and 4 Ohm tops?
Any suggestions?

Thanks. :confused:
Right, let's have a go at this. My preferred option is always to have an amp for subs and tops separately. Thus you have a form of backup should one fail. Also, if you get an active crossover, the sound quality will improve massively, believe me. There are other advantages as well.

I'd suggest that you get a crossover ( Behringer cx2310 or similar is fine, ) another similar amp to the EP2000, and some subs. Then decide if you wish to downsize the tops. If so, 12" cabs will give a nice match, and be a tad easier to handle.

I had no idea you could get away with one sub. How does the cabling work with a single powered sub? (excuse my ignorance!)
Or you could get one or two powered subs. You could even lose the crossover, if the sub has it fitted ( not all subs do, though most have ). It's actually a doddle to wire up. Mixer into sub, hi out left and hi out right feed into amp running tops, simples.