PDA

View Full Version : New mixer needed - advice please

DiscoMagic
08-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Hello people!

Hope you are having a good weekend - and gigs last night were fruitful! (mine wasn't so bad except that it ended in a mass fight on the dance floor - oh joy!!!)

Anyways. My cheepo Numark 2 channel mixer has packed up after 4 years of faithful service and I need a new one.

The problem is that I am getting married in 5 weeks and all fund / monies are going into that and the honeymoon after so I am not wanting to spend bundles, just enough to get me by with good sound reproduction and no crackles or hisses! and I'm not sure what to go for.

I am aware of the old adage you get what you pay for generally - but, well you my predicament. I only need 2 channels (but would rather three), and yes I would love a pioneer DCM but - well its comes down to the money again.

Once the wedding is over I plan to completely upgrade my system from speakers to light show to sound equiptment etc etc so this will be only be a short term fix

Alternatively does any one have a spare or old one that is up to scratch they could sell or even hire to me for the five weeks???

Over to you guys - as always thanks for all your help. :D

marting
08-05-2011, 12:47 PM
pm sent

Ecstatic Events
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
What budget do you have set aside???

DiscoMagic
08-05-2011, 05:13 PM
erm as little as possible, as I rather think it pointless buying an semi expensive now to save pennies only to replace after the wedding!!

Erm so, probably sub £100 - is that realistic????

I might just get a cheap second crappy unit from ebay for the time being :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-05-2011, 06:35 PM
OK, I'm going to be blunt. I had a look at your website and have seen what your pricing is and noted you have been DJing for 15 years. You really should be buying something a little better than a 2 channel sub £100 mixer.

I understand budgets and that you are getting married, but come on...less than £100 for a very important bit of kit? There have been Denon DN-X500s selling on here for £200 over the last couple of weeks.

Excalibur
08-05-2011, 07:38 PM
OK, I'm going to be blunt. I had a look at your website and have seen what your pricing is and noted you have been DJing for 15 years. You really should be buying something a little better than a 2 channel sub £100 mixer.

I understand budgets and that you are getting married, but come on...less than £100 for a very important bit of kit? There have been Denon DN-X500s selling on here for £200 over the last couple of weeks.

Two things. First, the OP does say he intends to purchase something of that ilk soon Darren, the 2 channel cheapie would merely be a temporary, ephemeral, stop gap until the arrival of something like the aforementioned Denon.

Second, why oh why oh why do they even build two channel mixers? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: What :Censored: good are they? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Four channels are the absolute minimum, and if you get a Denon, it's effectively eight. Much more workable.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-05-2011, 07:59 PM
the OP does say he intends to purchase something of that ilk soon Darren, the 2 channel cheapie would merely be a temporary, ephemeral, stop gap until the arrival of something like the aforementioned Denon.

Yes, but the fact is, the OP did say this...

Anyways. My cheepo Numark 2 channel mixer has packed up after 4 years of faithful service and I need a new one.

Excalibur
08-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Yes, but the fact is, the OP did say this...

Ah. Quite right. So he did. Well spotted. My oversight. Sorry. :o

A thought occurs. No backup? :confused: I used to keep a Craplins for that purpose. ( It went to Reading a while ago. ) It had sound effects on as well. :D :D :D I usually spent the first ten minutes of the gig machine gunning things. :o

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-05-2011, 08:18 PM
My point was, if the OP has been DJing 15 years, then I would have thought that spending a couple of hundred on a mixer is not much of an investment.

I use a Pioneer DJM3000 as my backup. :bag:

Excalibur
08-05-2011, 08:25 PM
My point was, if the OP has been DJing 15 years, then I would have thought that spending a couple of hundred on a mixer is not much of an investment.
Yeah. And the mixer I spent £200 pounds on before I got a Denon wasn't much of an investment either. :( :( :( :o :o :o

In relative terms, that's only equivalent to my Craplins. :p :D :D :D :D

Digital Jack
08-05-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't think any attack on how someone operates their business has much of a bearing on the original question ?

Give Ralphy useful / helpful information - not an inferiority complex.

funkymook
08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I don't think any attack on how someone operates their business has much of a bearing on the original question ?

And your useful/helpful information is...?

Or are you just popping up for the sniping?

Booche
08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I tend to aggree though why in the last 4years have you not sorted a "Better" mixer out ?

Anyway how about a Behringer djx700 as a quick replacement it had enough channels, enough ports for different things and has effects, it's lightweight also.

Excalibur
08-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Attack? Since when has recommending that people have backup mixers not been helpful advice? The legendary Maplins one I spoke of has all necessary features, and is often for sale new at under £70. Not exactly a king's ransom.

Digital Jack
09-05-2011, 12:07 AM
There are some pathetic individuals about dyt?
I'm often taken to task for doing exactly what others type up , but hey - who am I - NOBODY.

Maybe my statements would be given more credence if I were to contribute financially ?

@ funkymook , I thought I may be helping by attempting to bring this thread back on track , but I see this thought doesn't replicate the thoughts of the many - only the few - maybe even just the ONE.

@ excalibur , Ralphy wasn't asking if he should have a back up mixer - he was asking if someone had a mixer for sale under £100 or if he could hire a unit.

I didn't focus my remark at anyone , I just wanted to get it all back on track so Ralphy could maybe iron out a problem as I'm shure he's stressed enough with his wedding fast approaching.

What is this ?
A game of chess ?

funkymook
09-05-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm often taken to task for doing exactly what others type up , but hey - who am I - NOBODY.

Maybe my statements would be given more credence if I were to contribute financially ?

@ funkymook , I thought I may be helping by attempting to bring this thread back on track , but I see this thought doesn't replicate the thoughts of the many - only the few - maybe even just the ONE.

@ excalibur , Ralphy wasn't asking if he should have a back up mixer - he was asking if someone had a mixer for sale under £100 or if he could hire a unit.

I didn't focus my remark at anyone , I just wanted to get it all back on track so Ralphy could maybe iron out a problem as I'm shure he's stressed enough with his wedding fast approaching.

What is this ?
A game of chess ?

Bringing the thread back on track would've been you posting some advice about mixers (thread title does include 'Advice Please' which is what was offered).

If you have nothing to say about mixers please do not post as it will be off topic.

:ontopic:

and you can consider that checkmate if you so wish!

MikeW
09-05-2011, 04:24 AM

A thought occurs. No backup? :confused: I used to keep a Craplins for that purpose. ( It went to Reading a while ago. ) It had sound effects on as well. :D :D :D I usually spent the first ten minutes of the gig machine gunning things. :o

:laughup: That put a smile on my face on damp Monday morning.

Excalibur
09-05-2011, 06:41 AM

That would have no bearing whatsoever on the response to your posts.

Thank you for that.

Jack, please bear in mind that when we are answering a single post/person, we are simultaneously advising all the other members. Had Ralph popped into Maplins when the item I suggested was on offer, he would not now be casting around looking for a stop gap solution. He would be cheerfully machine gunning punters, as I used to do.

I didn't focus my remark at anyone , I just wanted to get it all back on track so Ralphy could maybe iron out a problem as I'm sure he's stressed enough with his wedding fast approaching.

What is this ?
A game of chess ?

Jack, more than one offer had already been made to Ralph. Martin G had sent him a PM, and Ecstatic Events had also offered him one. Since Mike's ( Ecstatic Events) post was against the rules, I brought it to his attention, PM'ed him with the same information, and then deleted it after giving him plenty of time to make any arrangements.

Corabar Steve
09-05-2011, 08:47 AM
One more thing that should be said.

Leave the moderating to site staff. If we think a thread is going off topic, it's up to us not you (unless it's your thread) to do so.

Any further off topic posts in this thread will be deleted without warning.

Larry B Entertainment
09-05-2011, 09:08 AM
I might just get a cheap second crappy unit from ebay for the time being :)

:eek:

You are joking ofcourse...Right ?

Even hiring a mixer in when you need it would be better than spending money on a :Censored: mixer off ebay.

DiscoMagic
09-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Morning all, and thanks for your comments and contributions. However I didn't want it to become another :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: :Censored:ing session, merely some advice!!!

Bluntness is always good - I can't stand it when people are being 'nice' - just to avoid upsetting the person! This a common problem I find when we ask clients for constructive feedback and they say "Oh yeah it was great" but you know they weren't that happy... so crack on dear chap!

However, you are quite right in saying that I have been DJing for 15 years, but does it say how long I have been running a mobile disco business? No! Disco Magic has only been going since 2006 and whilst I am proficient in my DJing, but when it comes to equipment, my knowledge is some what lacking - hence the reason for asking for advice! Moreover I don't know how much to spend on what, what is good and what is bad, or even what is important and what is not. Yes I can play a good gig, create a great atmostphere and fill a dance floor, but the more technical side of the business is where I am lacking?!

You also comment on my pricing - guys - do you think that I am overcharging at £300 a gig???

I will spend more on a mixer (and a whole host of other bit to bring my setup up to scratch, but not until after the wedding!!!)

I do have a backup, in the form of my IDJ2 which doubles as a mixer in emergencys, but would prefer a more traditional mixer in the meantime as I don't really like it!

Cheers Jack :LOL:

I tend to aggree though why in the last 4years have you not sorted a "Better" mixer out ?

Like I said- I don't know what a "better" mixer is!

That would have no bearing whatsoever on the response to your posts.

Thank you for that.

Jack, please bear in mind that when we are answering a single post/person, we are simultaneously advising all the other members. Had Ralph popped into Maplins when the item I suggested was on offer, he would not now be casting around looking for a stop gap solution. He would be cheerfully machine gunning punters, as I used to do.

What is meant by machince gunning ?!?!:confused:

:eek:

You are joking ofcourse...Right ?

Even hiring a mixer in when you need it would be better than spending money on a :Censored: mixer off ebay.

I disagree - surely everyone has found a deal or two on the "world largest online shopping center" !!?? Feel free to disagree of course!!

Anyway - situation is now sorted as a mate has lent me his old gemini mixer which is 8 channels etc etc and will do the trick until I buy a new more expensive one!

Excalibur
09-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Ralph, glad to hear you're sorted. Also glad you're receptive to advice/constructive criticism.

As to your next mixer, well the default suggestion is Denon DN-X500. Fantastic piece of kit. It has everything that most folk need. Reliable too.

Machine gunning: Ralph, the Maplins one here
http://www.maplin.co.uk/mmx-410-4-channel-pro-mixer-36296
now sadly discontinued, has a variety of sound effect buttons.Being a child at heart, I would always spend the first ten minutes of a gig pressing Siren, Bomb, Machine Gun, etc. :o :o :o :o :o

All the best for the wedding.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-05-2011, 10:08 AM
My point was, if you are charging a reasonable amount for your work, then spend a reasonable amount on gear.

DiscoMagic
09-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Darren I understand your point, and in the main - I agree.

But I rather feel that you have missed my point....

my knowledge is some what lacking - hence the reason for asking for advice! Moreover I don't know how much to spend on what, what is good and what is bad, or even what is important and what is not. Yes I can play a good gig, create a great atmostphere and fill a dance floor, but the more technical side of the business is where I am lacking?!

I don't know what is a 'good' amount of money to spend is - I don't want to waste it; something that is all to easy in this industry. Some detailed advice would be nice!

Excaliber... I remember those sound effects - remember having one in my social club many years ago - fun times!!! - Thanks for your wishes re my wedding :D

Excalibur
09-05-2011, 10:19 AM
My point was, if you are charging a reasonable amount for your work, then spend a reasonable amount on gear.

A valid point. Ralph appears to be looking for a bit of advice as to what might constitute the type of kit to consider for his future upgrade. By his own admission, he isn't a "Gearhead".

Hmmmm, I wonder if I can feel a thread coming on?

DiscoMagic
09-05-2011, 10:28 AM
A valid point. Ralph appears to be looking for a bit of advice as to what might constitute the type of kit to consider for his future upgrade. By his own admission, he isn't a "Gearhead".

Hmmmm, I wonder if I can feel a thread coming on?

I concur - I will probably start one when I am look to upgrade... but for now - loving denon that you recommended - even has a effects send/return for my Kaos Pad :D :D :D That will probably be my first purchase, unless I get an S4 Controller which might negate the requirement for a mixer altogether??? Not sure on this though...

WWDJ
09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I concur - I will probably start one when I am look to upgrade... but for now - loving denon that you recommended - even has a effects send/return for my Kaos Pad :D :D :D That will probably be my first purchase, unless I get an S4 Controller which might negate the requirement for a mixer altogether??? Not sure on this though...

Are you using Traktor for playout now ?
You have other options like Denon MC6000 too if that is the case which might provide better overall value.

DeckstarDeluxe
09-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Ralph slightly offtopic but have you never been to BPM/SEDA?? I find the whole not knowing about mixers comment with 15 years of experience slighty odd and these meetings are idea for this sort of thing.

DiscoMagic
09-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Ralph slightly offtopic but have you never been to BPM/SEDA?? I find the whole not knowing about mixers comment with 15 years of experience slighty odd and these meetings are idea for this sort of thing.

I've been to the 2009 BPM and plan to go this year... Will be going to SEDA after the wedding... I think there was one yesterday but I'm sooooo busy organising my wedding as well prepping for gigs I havn't got enought time to scratch my head let alone anything else - but I agree it is something I need to do. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm sooooo busy organising my wedding as well prepping for gigs I havn't got enought time to scratch my head

Have you booked your DJ? :bag:

Ecstatic Events
09-05-2011, 11:37 AM

This is a valid and fair point - My offer of the Numark DMXXX (whatever it was) is a mixer I would feel uncomfortable using as a main play out for ANY PAID gig - Bedroom use - no problem.

Have you booked your DJ? :bag:

One suspects he may be doing it himself to save the pennies for a decent mixer :eek: (I'm joking BTW)

DiscoMagic
09-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah I'm doing it myself!!!!! :lol:

I am actually getting a couple of mates who used to work on Curnard as entertainers and DJ'd as part of their job - and they will give me exactly what I want :)

(and it will save some pennies (lol) , but that is not why I have chosen to go down this route)

If I had not done this I would have got someone from the MDD....

Why you ask?