PDA

View Full Version : My New Babies

DJ Frankie
12-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Well after 15 years of using my trusty old RCf Art300 speakers with my Yamaha amp I decided it was time for an upgrade and yesterday I went out and purchased a pair of QSC K12 active speakers.

I had a demo of the RCF Art712a, JBL Prx615 & the QSC but decided on a complete change and go for the QSC.

So far im happy with the look of the speaker and sound of them, but Saturday will be the road test for them. Will let you know how I get on.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/subsonic01/K12.jpg

sweetie
12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Frankie, I use these and have been very happy with them for the last 18 months. You'll always get someone that wont like the sound from them but for output to weight ratio these are great. I've done gigs of upto 150 people with them on their own when my sub wouldn't work and they look great. Hotcovers do a cover for them for about £30 also.

DJ Frankie
12-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Cool thanks for the info Sweetie, cant wait to use them considering I have been using a total of 600 watt for the past 10 years with the RCF's lol, these should be a big improvement.

Excalibur
12-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Please keep us posted, Frankie. I'm presuming these are active? ( I don't keep on that sort of thing much :o :o ). From what I hear, their sound isn't so much akin to normal disco kit, but more HiFi.

I'm told that once you get used to setting the EQ they're very very good.

leelive
12-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Excellent Speakers.

I used to have SRM450s. I find these QSCs have no dead spots. They are also better than the Mackies as they have no problem getting higher-frequencies to the back of long rooms.

Strangely, like a new pair of leather shoes I found they need wearing for a couple of gigs (not sure why I felt that... maybe I was too used to the sound of the aggressive Mackies).

The bass-sound is great. I leave my subs in the van for gigs below 120 guests. I had to buy longer poles (not recommended by QSC) but had to get speakers above shoulders!

You will never look back. There are perfect.
Had mine since November. Love them.
Lee

DJ Frankie
12-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I was in two minds yesterday as I have done a fair amount of research on the RCF and JBL's but not QSC, but after hearing them I was very impressed especially with the bass response. I have been after active speakers for some time now and the weight of them were also very good for the size.
I have heard that they will need additional subs for bigger events, but at present for the size gigs I do these should be sufficient.

Peter (Excalibur) yes they are active, and will keep you updated after Saturday.

Andy Collins
12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
They do look sexy don't they! I like!! :)

Shakermaker Promotions
12-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Frankie, sorry to reply on this thread but could you empty your PM box as I tried to PM you but it says you have exceeded your limit. I wanted to ask you something.

Cheers
G

DJ Frankie
12-05-2011, 04:30 PM
All cleared mate, pm me if you want.

MikeW
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi Frankie, did you listen to the K10s at any point?

DJ Frankie
12-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi Frankie, did you listen to the K10s at any point?

Hi Mike, no I didn't but they had them there, nice size speakers and apparently the k10 are also a very nice sounding speaker so I've been told.

Takeiteasy
12-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Are they wood or plastic ?

DJ Frankie
12-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Are they wood or plastic ?

Plastic.

MikeW
12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I for one, will be waiting for the gig report on Sunday morning. :)

Takeiteasy
12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Yer the spec's do look very good !

MikeW
13-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Frankie, have you or anyone with either K10s or K12s ever used them without going via a mixer. ie taking an ipod and mic straight from the back of these?

The company claim that they are able to be run this way, and I thought that if that was the case, they would act as a brilliant back up if a mixer went down.

leelive
13-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Frankie, have you or anyone with either K10s or K12s ever used them without going via a mixer. ie taking an ipod and mic straight from the back of these?

The company claim that they are able to be run this way, and I thought that if that was the case, they would act as a brilliant back up if a mixer went down.

I stuck a mic into the back of one last month. Only because I had powered down and the client wanted to make a quick announcement.

I wouldn't dream of using them without mixer for DJing. How would you set the EQ of the room and why would you settle for ipod quality?

Having said that they could come in handy if you needed to set-up one up for the client to use for Wedding Speeches and background music (via their own mp3 player).

But then I prefer using a small mixing desk and a couple of SRM350s for speeches. I would still need the British EQs to adjust the sound accordingly.

Lee

MikeW
13-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I stuck a mic into the back of one last month. Only because I had powered down and the client wanted to make a quick announcement.

I wouldn't dream of using them without mixer for DJing. How would you set the EQ of the room and why would you settle for ipod quality?

Having said that they could come in handy if you needed to set-up one up for the client to use for Wedding Speeches and background music (via their own mp3 player).

But then I prefer using a small mixing desk and a couple of SRM350s for speeches. I would still need the British EQs to adjust the sound accordingly.

Lee
I was really just thinking about a total emergency situation, if possibly my main mixer went down, even to allow me time to get a spare mixer up and running. So it is possible?

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I was really just thinking about a total emergency situation, if possibly my main mixer went down, even to allow me time to get a spare mixer up and running. So it is possible?

Yes.

Excalibur
13-05-2011, 11:25 AM
That is the most sensibly ordered back of an active cab I've seen. Logical, and versatile. Like it.

MikeW
13-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes.

Thanks for that. I was hearing contrasting opinions.

Takeiteasy
14-05-2011, 01:53 AM
Yes.

Bloody hell ... what doesn't it have lol

Mackie & JBL should take not of this :)

Excalibur
14-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Bloody hell ... what doesn't it have lol

Mackie & JBL should take not of this :)

Mackie in particular. ;) This " Past twelve o'clock is for mic inputs" is the most stupid, confusing, and dangerous way of saving a few bob I've ever seen.

DJ Frankie
16-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi Guys
I thought I would report back on the QSC K12 speakers from Saturdays 40th birthday gig and all I can say is WOW.

The room I had to set up in was not big only holds around 80 people, so decided to have the volume up on the amps to about 12 0'clock.
The great thing I love about the speakers is that they can be either tilted towards the dance floor or straight up to project to the whole of the room, so decided to keep with the upright.

The speakers were light enough to carry one in each hand which again is a bonus as my last pair was fairly weighty; this also helped when having to lift them up onto the speaker stands.

I’ve always a bit nervous about talk of amps on active speakers getting hot during gigs as I have always used passive speakers, so throughout the evening I was feeling the amps and although the volume stayed at 12 0'clock not once did the amps get hot in fact they hardly even heated up which was a big thumbs up for me.
After the buffet it was time to pump the speakers up and I have to say the speakers sounded clear and crisp and the bass response was amazing.
The settings on the rear of both speakers (Referring to Darrens pic) was set to
HF = vocal/boost and
LF= Normal

If extra bass was need the LF switch could be set to deep but was not needed for my gig.

To be honest im over the moon with my new speakers, everyone enjoyed themselves and I too was chuffed to bits with my speakers, of course they still have to go through their paces with a bigger venues / marquees but basing them on Saturdays gig I would happily give them a big thumbs up :thumbs_up: :HappySteve:

:beer1: Frankie

MikeW
16-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the report Frankie. I have been waiting to hear how you got on.
Please keep us posted re future venues.

DJ Frankie
16-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the report Frankie. I have been waiting to hear how you got on.
Please keep us posted re future venues.

No problem Mike, will keep you updated.

DeckstarDeluxe
16-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Have you used the Mackies before Frankie? I'd be interested in hearing these side by side

MikeW
16-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Have you used the Mackies before Frankie? I'd be interested in hearing these side by side

So would I

theoloyla
16-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I have never used active speakers but I must say these do look good.

DJ Frankie
16-05-2011, 11:39 AM

So would I

No sorry guys never used Mackies before, the only one's I heard side by side were the JBL Prx615 and the QSC K12, but for me it was the QSC hands down. I did also test the RCf 712 and they did sound great too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-05-2011, 11:48 AM

No contest Neil.

The Mackies are louder, but the sound from the QSC is so much sweeter/more hi fi.

Charlie Brown
16-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Do you always have to use a sub now Darren?

Do you prefer them to your RCF's?

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Do you always have to use a sub now Darren?

Do you prefer them to your RCF's?

I have been using a sub since I got them, yes, but I have used the RCFs a few times on their own too.

I prefer the sound of the K10s with a sub - they suit mid/high a lot better than the RCFs which are a 15" anyway.

Excalibur
16-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I have been using a sub since I got them, yes, but I have used the RCFs a few times on their own too.

I prefer the sound of the K10s with a sub - they suit mid/high a lot better than the RCFs which are a 15" anyway.

"Ye cannae change the laws of physics", as a wise man once said. :D :D For at least the last five or six years, my rig has had 15" drivers in, either running full range, or subs and tops. For at least the last four years, 60-70% of gigs have used only a pair of 15" tops.

Since acquiring a pair of 12" cabs, I have to say the difference is amazing. With Darren's 10" cabs, I'd expect it to even more striking. For functions which rely heavily on speech, the increase in clarity is phenomenal, with 12" tops over 15" subs.

But , if for whatever reason, we are restricted to two cabs only, the 15" tops beat the 12" hands down every time. ( Assuming roughly similar properties in the cabs )

So often, our sound is a trade off in some respect.

Andy Goodtimes
16-05-2011, 10:45 PM
I think the ideal system is 10 inch tops and 18 inch bins, that does give a good coverage of frequencies and minimal overlap between the 2 cabs.

I have a pretty fair collection of RCFs inc. 310s, 710s, 322s, 325s, 902s and whatever the 800w 15 bins are think they are 708s but could be wrong. I also have some K series...the single 10 tops and the double 12 bins.

I prefer the RCF710s to the K10s, the K10s are smoother but the 710s are more lively and have better bass. However with bins I do prefer the K10s. Having said all that I don't practice what I preach as I normally use RCF322s and 902s which is 2 x 2inch horns and 4 x 12 inch drivers.

Generally speaking I reckon the RCF are out on their own as far as plastic actives go and QSC are about the only ones to give them a run for their money.

sxboy
17-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I started reading this and thinking "oh why have I just bought a pair of SRM 450's", as alot of people seem to be moving on from them. But looking at the price of the ones in this thread there is no way I could have gone to £750ish for EACH speaker, I just bought the Mackies for £759 a pair, I am over the moon with them tbh after going from a fairly cheap passive system. It just seems the mackies are not as popular as they were, say a year or so ago.
Appologies for semi highjacking your thread, they do look very nice, although I have not listened to them.

Daren

leelive
17-05-2011, 10:05 AM
I still have a pairs of SRM450s. They are great speakers. I use mine for 18ths and 21st birthday parties etc .... Can't afford some drunken idiot to damage "my new babies."
I will also be using them for Christmas parties.
Lee

sxboy
17-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh, thats good to know, thanks.

Andy Goodtimes
18-05-2011, 02:14 AM
SRM450s are classic, a decent quality all rounder, think I am right in saying they are the world's best selling 12 inch active cab. I would say slightly better suited to singers and small groups but not bad for disco and a lot of the negative stuff about them was folk not understanding how to set the gain without going into mic level and causing them to get hot. I have some C300s which are the unpowered version and they get used a lot.

sxboy
18-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks Andy, I do quite a bit of karaoke and have used the SRM's twice, and I must say they do sound very nice and clear, only used the once so far for a disco in a very small pub.

Anyway won't highjack this thread any more.

Thanks
Daren

Woodyo
28-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Must say I'm glad of my Mackies , kept them as a back-up when I bought a pair of RCF725A'S about a year and a half ago. One of the RCF's died on me last weekend at the very end of a gig ... so glad I have a back-up rig. The RCF keeps blowing the fuse so there's definitely something amiss inside. Has to be sent to England for repair as RCF don't seem to have a repair centre in Ireland. Been told its still under warranty so hopefully will get it fixed asap ..... Anyone else had a problem with these?