PDA

View Full Version : OMG - Now I am seriously nervous!!!

DiscoMagic
12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Ok so I have been booked for a really posh wedding for over 9 months now, Its a full day affair, with starlit ceiling and starlit dancefloor in a Marquee. The couple, or rather should I say, the brides parents have really gone to town and an got an events company to organise everything.

No worries there then and sounds like an average gig right?

Met the couple last night for the event meeting - really nice people, until the groom mentions he is also a DJ, here we go again I thought!!!... until i find out he works for

For the Ministry of Sound. :sofa:

Pressure or what?!? And he says that he wants to music mixed together and beatmatched properly. Whilst I mix adequetly for weddings and parties, I am well nervous becuase of what he will expect :confused:

Anyway playlist is really good so hopefully he will have a few beers and enjoy himself - but I am still worried!!!!!

Playlist is :

Music List for Disco 14th May
Lady Gaga Born This Way
Bad Romance
Just Dance
Shakira She Wolf
50 Cent Buzzin
Down On Me
M.Solveig Hello
Katy B Broken Record
The Killers Any really
Jessie J Price Tag
Jennifer Lopez On The Floor
Kanye West Goldigga
American Boy (Estelle)
Adele Rollin In The Deep
Alexis Jordan Happiness
Good Girl
Amy Winehouse Rehab
Andre3000 Hey Ya
Beyonce Sweet Dreams
Crazy In Love
Taylor Danye Tell It To My Heart
Fleetwood Mac Everywhere (Igor Loves this)
Abba (we like a lot) Take A Chance On Me
S.O.S
Dancing Queen
Lay All Your Love On Me
Voulez Vous
Basshunter (must play we love)
All I Ever Wanted
Angel In The Night
Kid Cudi/David Guetta Memories
Day N Night
Rui Da Silva Touch Me (In the Morning)
Fragma Tocas Miracle
Alex Gaudino Destination Unknown
Inna Hot
Edward Maya (Igor Loves) Stereo Love
This Is My Life
David Guetta Sexy Chick (Akon)
I’m In Miami Bitch
Commander (Kelly Rowland)
Tinie Tempah Passout
Miami 2 Ibiza
Example Kickstarts
Calvin Harris You Used to Hold Me
Flashback – must have
Kelis 4th July – must have
Black Eyed Peas Just Can’t Get Enough
Chris Brown Yeah x3
Beautiful People – must have
Enrique Tonight
Groove Armada Superstylin
Usher OMG
Neyo Closer
Rupert Holmes Escape (Pina Colada song)
Paul Simon You Can Call Me Al
Nikki Minaj Moment 4 Life
Girls Fall Like Dominoes
Rihanna S&M
What’s My Name (must have)
Only Girl In The World
Rude Boy (must have)
Snoop Dogg Sweat (feat David Guetta)
Tayo Cruz Higher (with Kylie)
Nicole Sherzinger Poison
Wiz Khalifa Black and Yellow
Yazz The Only Is Up
Dirty Dancing Hungry Eyes
Florence + Machine You Got The Love
Dog Days
David Bowie/Queen remix Under Pressure
Jefferson Starship Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now
Mousse T Is it Cos Im Cool
Ellie Goulding Lights
Robynn Dancing On My Own
Britney Spears Til The World Ends
Amerie One Thing
Billy Idol White Wedding
Michael Jackson Don’t Stop
Beat It
The Way You Make Me Feel
Guns and Roses Sweet Child Of Mine
Bon Jovi Livin On A Prayer
Bryan Adams Summer 69
Dire Straits Money for Nothing
Queen Crazy Little Thing Called Love
I want to break free
The Rolling Stones Start Me Up
Satisfaction
James Sit Down
Kings Of Leon Sex Is On Fire
Hot Chip Over and Over
Ready for the Floor
Robert Palmer Addicted to Love
Blondie Heart Of Glass
Ann Lee 2 times
Police Roxanne
Boney M Rivers of Babylon
Daddy Cool
Anita Ward Ring My Bell
Lipps Inc Funky Town
Ace of Base All That She Wants (must have)
Presidente Coco Jumbo
UB40 I Got You Babe
DJ Quicksilver Bellissima
Beatles She Loves You
Prince Purple Rain
Daft Punk One More Time
Darude Sandstorm
UB40
Pitbull feat Neyo Give Me Everything
Yolande Be Cool We Speak No Americano
Gramphonedzie Why Don’t You (Get Out Of Here)
Love Generation Bob Sinclair (Our leaving song 23:45 ish)

Shakermaker Promotions
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't worry about it mate. Just go out and do what you do. It's a wedding at the end of the day and not the Ministry of Sound. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Mark Wild
12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
And he says that he wants to music mixed together and beatmatched properly.

That must have been an awkward point in the meeting, it's a good job you're willing to practice mixing the whole list before the wedding isn't it ! ;)

Shakermaker Promotions
12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah...I mean, the Groom must be one hell of a mixer extraordinaire if he can beat mix the likes of Purple Rain and Roxanne!!

Penfold42
12-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I think the guy is pulling your chain.

Mark Wild
12-05-2011, 03:43 PM
If he'd said that to me I would have immediately thought he was a bit of a :Censored: pot.

DeckstarDeluxe
12-05-2011, 03:43 PM
If he'd said that to me I would have immediately thought he was a bit of a :Censored: pot.

Indeed and if he is who he says he is and wants that type of dj he would of got a MOS guy in.

Charlie Brown
12-05-2011, 03:44 PM

:agree:

I wouldn't have taken the job.

Shakermaker Promotions
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Neither would I Charlie but I'd say that judging by what the OP has told us already (decor etc), they are probably paying well.

DiscoMagic
12-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't worry about it mate. Just go out and do what you do. It's a wedding at the end of the day and not the Ministry of Sound. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Yeah - true stuff - didn't think of it like - with the entities being completely different!

That must have been an awkward point in the meeting, it's a good job you're willing to practice mixing the whole list before the wedding isn't it ! ;)

Yeah right - what with my day job tomorrow, another wedding meeting tonight for a client in June, leaves only tomorrow to sort the list into a playing order and practice....

Out comes the Red Bull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...I mean, the Groom must be one hell of a mixer extraordinaire if he can beat mix the likes of Purple Rain and Roxanne!!

:lol: - made me chuckle!!!

I think the guy is pulling your chain.

I don't think so - he seemed quite genuine, and wasn't full of himself or bragging about it :)

funkymook
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah right - what with my day job tomorrow, another wedding meeting tonight for a client in June, leaves only tomorrow to sort the list into a playing order and practice....

So it's this Saturday? Why was the client meeting so near the event if you've been booked for 9 months?

I try to get mine booked in as early as possible to avoid (or at least get an idea) about these sort of things in good time.

DiscoMagic
12-05-2011, 04:39 PM
B&G's requested date....

Not much I could do there - I agree with you though, I try and get them booked in as early as possible!

Shakermaker Promotions
12-05-2011, 04:51 PM
When I get a booking I always say that I will meet with them around 3 weeks before the date because when they book so far in advance, ideas, first dances and song requests may change.

Ecstatic Events
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I would love to do a gig like this. It's an ideal platform for you to really impress. Did he mention what his job is at the Ministry?

I seriously wouldnt worry about flawless mixing for the entire night. Just do your best. You are a wedding DJ after all.

Good luck!

Samuel Anthony Discos
12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi Disco Magic.

What's his DJ name?

I am familiar with quite a few of the MOS DJ's.

Sam

What programme are you using too?

Traktor is far superior at beatmatching compared to VDJ, so that could be worth looking into to give you that edge.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Traktor is far superior at beatmatching compared to VDJ, so that could be worth looking into to give you that edge.

I am so tempted to say that is complete rubbish, but I'll let you justify the statement.

Why is Traktor 'far superior' at beatmatching compared to VDJ?

What exactly is 'beatmatching' and why would you be using the software to mix if you were mixing anyway?

Samuel Anthony Discos
12-05-2011, 09:56 PM
It is a well known fact that Traktor is a far superior programme to VDJ for beat matching.

Beat matching is getting the beats of one song to exactly match the tempo of a second song or more.

You would be using the software for convenience.

DiscoMagic
12-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I concur with your thoughts on Traktor Sam, which is why I use it!!! :lol:

I yes I do use it Darren, because it enables me to concentrate on ensure the B&G and their guests have a great night rather... It must be permissible because all the nightclubs use the same software.... (although I can mix the old fashioned way as well - but TBH I am a bit out of practice)

I will try and find out his DJ name, but he'll probably be too busy/distracted on the day - and I don't like to interact with B&G too much at weddings - just leave them too and take my instructions from the Toastmaster / Best Man

Booche
13-05-2011, 12:00 AM
I do tend to agre with Darren why is Traktor better as you can do all the beat matching on VDJ

I use VDJ and i have no issues or any complaints about it, infact i did a gig a while ago were a guy who i know is a major club dj and is infact entering into the guiness Book of Records for having the most Dj's used in one event and even he stood there and said i will try this out as it seems a good and usefull program to have, also i have had a radio Dj from local radio (Chris knight - Ambersound)(sorry if thats breaking the rules) and he also said he is going to give VDJ a try as it seems ideal for radio and getting the late night mix's sorted.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I use VDJ however I would much rather use traktor in this environment. Could do a mix set on VDJ fine however

WWDJ
13-05-2011, 12:09 AM
I am so tempted to say that is complete rubbish, but I'll let you justify the statement.

Why is Traktor 'far superior' at beatmatching compared to VDJ?

What exactly is 'beatmatching' and why would you be using the software to mix if you were mixing anyway?

I haven't used Virtual DJ much but I have been using Traktor now for about 1.5 years. It is excellent software for beatmatching.

Traktor analyses your track and picks up the beatmarkers based on the transients in the track. This works very well with 4/4 dance music and to differing levels with other types of music.
Part of the power of Traktor is that you can tweak these beatmarkers and the tempo as you wish, so the beat can be bang on. Traktor 2 allows you do this in fine detail.

Once your beatmarkers are in place you can (if you wish) sync the 2 tracks so that they are perfectly in time.

Other software offers an 'automix button' however Traktor does not do this. Sync is where the software help ends and from that point forward you are in charge of the mix, faders ,effects, eq levels, looping and so on.

Essentially it is taking the laborious repetition of beatmatching out of the equation and letting the DJ get on with more important things.

Traktor is a widely accepted tool in the club DJ world and offers features which your average function DJ would also find useful, especially if they have a bias towards electronic music.

Paul The Party Dj
13-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Ralph, have a great time - they chose you, they think you are the right DJ for the most important day in their lives!

Well done on getting the booking, relax and do your stuff.

leelive
13-05-2011, 07:49 AM
I agree with the above statement by Paul the Party DJ.

I few months ago I discovered at the start of the night that most of the guests were music producers and DJs!!! The original line-up from QFX were even there!! Had I been told that earlier I would have panicked!

The Bride had seen me DJ before and for her own reasons had decided I was the man for the job. I think if your client wanted a MoS Club DJ she would have got one. A Wedding DJ has a different set of skills. Do what you do best. Relax and enjoy it.

Lee

yourdj
13-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Ralph, have a great time - they chose you, they think you are the right DJ for the most important day in their lives!

Well done on getting the booking, relax and do your stuff.

On the night he probably wont even notice if something is slightly not aligned. He will notice if you do not play the tracks he asked for (which are pretty standard to be honest). I normally worry far more about the bride (and friends) and if she is happy far more than the groom on early doors and everything falls into place after that.

I went to see a DJ that works for me the other day at a wedding worse than what you describing and I can even remember what the mixing was like. What was important was that he had a dancefloor of all ages (up to 80) dancing to Wolfgang Garner :eek:

At the end of the day access should be perfect and marquee gigs are so relaxed (unless its swelteringly hot) by the end of the day everyone will be so chilled. Especially the groom, who sounds laid back. :)

If worried get another local club type DJ in and let them do all the work for £50. You can then sit in the van and read a paper :p

Right I have to get on with a wedding playlist for "just Hed Kandi" Type music this weekend - nothing commercial chart or vaigly cheesy! The guys mum is kitting out the function suite like a club. His future wife is columbian so I have to juggle the two music genres and language barrier. :)

Mark Wild
13-05-2011, 08:49 AM
I went to see a DJ that works for me the other day at a wedding worse than what you describing and I can even remember what the mixing was like. What was important was that he had a dancefloor of all ages (up to 80) dancing to Wolfgang Garner :eek:

It's Gartner Toby and what track was it of his he was playing at a wedding, that had up to 80 year olds dancing? Can you remember?

yourdj
13-05-2011, 09:22 AM
It's Gartner Toby and what track was it of his he was playing at a wedding, that had up to 80 year olds dancing? Can you remember?

Yes you are right. ;)

Firepower I think.

YouTube - Fire Power - Wolfgang Gartner

I would have chosen undertaker personally.

YouTube - Wolfgang Gartner - Undertaker

Ecstatic Events
13-05-2011, 09:23 AM

I would NEVER play a Wolfgang Gartner production at a "standard" wedding

It was probably 5th Symphony (on the break) if the 80 somethings were chucking shapes :D :D :D

Mark Wild
13-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Me either it's ridiculous.

Ecstatic Events
13-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Me either it's ridiculous.

Completely agree - and If I had a DJ working for me that did play this sort of track at a "standard" wedding - He wouldnt be doing many more for me :)

DiscoMagic
13-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Guys...

Thanks for all your kind words of support and advice - feel much better about it all.... really looking forward to it - will let you know how I get on.

Cheers :D :D :D :D

Shakermaker Promotions
13-05-2011, 10:54 AM
First time I have heard of Wolfgang Whateverhisnameis and although I quite like the two tunes posted, are they really appropriate for a wedding? Well, personally....if they were requested then it shouldn't matter really should it because if the DJ got them all up (even the 80 year olds) then coolio BUT...they are not tunes that I would throw in really just off the cuff.

Javlingames
13-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Theres lots of songs that when they first come out you think 'i cant play that at a wedding' then over time they cross over.

Never say never.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey if he had them dancing like Toby said then fair play to the chap.

One of my favourite Wolfgang tunes YouTube - Wolfgang Gartner - Yin (Original Mix)

yourdj
13-05-2011, 12:36 PM

It was probably 5th Symphony (on the break) if the 80 somethings were chucking shapes :D :D :D

Completely agree - and If I had a DJ working for me that did play this sort of track at a "standard" wedding - He wouldnt be doing many more for me :)

Hey if he had them dancing like Toby said then fair play to the chap.

One of my favourite Wolfgang tunes YouTube - Wolfgang Gartner - Yin (Original Mix) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9hslAD5BY&feature=related)

It was SPDJ on here. He did mix allot of funk soul and the likes with the dance music. It was not a standard wedding. lots of ex Ibiza and an average age of 35 I would say. The trendy sort you know.

This was the bride and grooms requests. The first dance was one of Kylies love at first site which seemed to set the night off. i was round the back chatting to the brides mum before the end until we realized the time and came into the Wolfgang Garner track and a packed floor.

Shaun
13-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a great gig. I did a wedding last year where the client wanted beatmixing most of the night and I had an absolute blast!

Re: Wolfgang at weddings. I play 'illmerica' at the wedding I just mentioned. It worked great! :)

Mark Wild
13-05-2011, 01:57 PM
What was important was that he had a dancefloor of all ages (up to 80) dancing to Wolfgang Garner :eek:

It was not a standard wedding. lots of ex Ibiza and an average age of 35 I would say. The trendy sort you know.

Make your mind up there big boy ;)

Yeah trendy ex Ibiza man, we know what you mean.