PDA

View Full Version : Virtual DJ Issues

ian8limelight
19-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm new to this part of the DJ's world having only recently purchased the new version of Virtual DJ Pro, which I'm using with a Denon MC6000, and is running from my Toshiba Satellite C650 laptop.

The main issue is that, when playing a track on the left desck, it stops for about 10 seconds (music cuts out after about 5 seconds), starts again, stops again after a little while, etc. The right hand deck plays perfectly and will mix/play tracks.

I'm using a programme which reduces the CPU ('Advanced System Care 4') but I'm still having the problem. I think that it may be a laptop issue (not a powerful enough processor) but before I have to dig deeper in the 'coffers', any ideas?

Kind regards,

Ian.

Digital Jack
19-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Hiya , first of all - what are the spec's of the laptop & secondly , what are the minimum system requirements of virtual DJ pro ?

And my findings have shown me that the only way to reduce CPU use is to switch off as many programmes as you can .

I've found the system requirements...

PC Platform
Minimum system requirements:
Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ XP
1024x768 resolution
DirectX compatible soundcard
512MB RAM
50MB free on the hard drive

---------------------------------------

RECOMENDED system requirements:
Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ X2
1280x1024 resolution
Multi-channel DirectX compatible soundcard
1024MB RAM
200MB free on the hard drive
Additional requirements for Video mixing:
2048MB (2GB) RAM
ATI™ or NVIDIA® video card w/256MB of Dedicated DDR3 RAM
Video card must support dual-screen output

Booche
19-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Check that nothing else is running/trying to run, try and clear all stuff you dont need (picstures,files etc)off the main hdd

Anti virus can also cause issues so if you dont use it for the net get rid of it etc etc i use my dell purely for music so there nothing on it apart from notepad which i always leave open in the back ground

Check your memory to make sure there is sufficiant memory to run it ok

Also check the settings in VDJ as i know there was a clause with the new VDJ running on older machines mate

If all else fails (and ill be chokeing after saying this)

Get a M m m m m m m m Mac :eek:

Jason
19-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Looking at the specs, the processor should be ok;
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-C650-194/1091386/toshibaShop/false/

Celeron2.2Ghz - probably single core, but my eeePC (1Ghz) runs VDJ7pro ok (music only).
As the other posters say - switch off everything, so AntiVirus, background stuff (printer monitors/firewall/etc etc)
Win7 (that it appears to be shipped with) does really need more that 1GB or Ram, so if your laptop has only that - upgrade to as much as you can afford.
4GB would be great...

If you're using external USB HDD, copy a few songs to the local drive and test using them.

On the top of VDJ is a processor usage graph, is that in the RED?

Are you loading "normal" length MP3 (ie NOT a long 30min megamix)

A few things to play with.

I have it installed on my eeePC1004HA netbook. This is pretty low spec, but does work ok. I've had to knock back the quality a bit on the playback (but it wasn't starting/stopping as you describe). This is running XP, on 512MB ram with an external USB HDD.

Jason

ian8limelight
19-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Hiya , first of all - what are the spec's of the laptop

Computer Spec shown as:-

Intel Celeron 900 @2.20GHz 2.19GHz
1.50GB RAM
64-bit operating system
230GB Hard Drive

ian8limelight
19-05-2011, 08:36 PM
As the other posters say - switch off everything, so AntiVirus, background stuff (printer monitors/firewall/etc etc)
Win7 (that it appears to be shipped with) does really need more that 1GB or Ram, so if your laptop has only that - upgrade to as much as you can afford.
4GB would be great...

If you're using external USB HDD, copy a few songs to the local drive and test using them.

On the top of VDJ is a processor usage graph, is that in the RED?

Are you loading "normal" length MP3 (ie NOT a long 30min megamix)

A few things to play with.

The software I mentioned earlier closes all the programmes and I put Norton on 'silent mode'.

MP3's are a mixture of 192 or 256.

CPU normally in the green but goes into the red when loading a track.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Strangely, I had something like this happen to me a couple of weeks ago, but only with one track (Rhythm is a dancer - Snap). It's never happened before and since either!

Bizarre.

ian8limelight
19-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Strangely, I had something like this happen to me a couple of weeks ago, but only with one track (Rhythm is a dancer - Snap). It's never happened before and since either!

Bizarre.

Was that the Bizarre Inc remix :p :D ?

Seriously though, it has happened a couple of times with a couple of different tracks.

And in your professional opinion, is my PC spec suitable?

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Was that the Bizarre Inc remix :p :D ?

Seriously though, it has happened a couple of times with a couple of different tracks.

And in your professional opinion, is my PC spec suitable?

Celeron aren't known for the greatest processors but I'm pretty sure than your Ram should be enough as long as you aren't running video.

What O/S are you using Ian?

Booche
19-05-2011, 09:28 PM
The software I mentioned earlier closes all the programmes and I put Norton on 'silent mode'.

MP3's are a mixture of 192 or 256.

CPU normally in the green but goes into the red when loading a track.

That wont help mate tbh as it eats up ALOT of resources and ram

Best thing is if it aint going on the net then disable network adaptors and then get rid of norton

DazzyD
19-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I run VDJ on a machine with an AMD V140 (budget!) processor clocking in at 2.3GHz backed by 3Gb RAM and it usually works just fine including video and karaoke.

But, I too have had the issues of the track "buffering" when loading. I tend to give the system plenty of time to load tracks but I have been close to panicking a couple of times when the track playing has 30 seconds left on the clock and the next track is loading slowly. The amount of times it's happened I can count on one hand but it can be quite worrying when it happens. I tend to put it down to VDJ analysing the track on load but something is going on in the background to slow it down. Windows is full of background processes which just seem to happen randomly.

EDIT:
Just seen Booche's post about Norton and I'd have to agree with him. I'd never let Norton anywhere near any of my systems as it's too resource-intensive.

ian8limelight
19-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Celeron aren't known for the greatest processors but I'm pretty sure than your Ram should be enough as long as you aren't running video.

What O/S are you using Ian?

Sorry matey, Windows 7.

ian8limelight
19-05-2011, 09:47 PM
That wont help mate tbh as it eats up ALOT of resources and ram

Best thing is if it aint going on the net then disable network adaptors and then get rid of norton

I assume that Norton is still running even in 'Silent' mode?

I am using this laptop for ripping so I guess I'll have to delete it and go for something like 'AVG'?

Booche
19-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I assume that Norton is still running even in 'Silent' mode?

I am using this laptop for ripping so I guess I'll have to delete it and go for something like 'AVG'?

Do you use the net for ripping ?

If so yeah avg will proberley be better mate as it doesn't use resources like Norton

Yes is the simple answer, Norton is still running and if it's still silly like it used to be you have to download Norton removal to actually remove Norton AntiVirus lol

Corabar Steve
19-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Do you use the net for ripping ?
What? From CDs?

Booche
19-05-2011, 10:52 PM
What? From CDs?

Thats why i asked as Ian mentioned getting another Virus Protection which kind of bamboozled me :p