PDA

View Full Version : OTS AV Question

DJ Frankie
22-05-2011, 06:48 PM
I have a question regarding folders within OTS and thought someonje maybe able to help.
If I download chart hits from Amazon then import them into OTS I have to always name them as an album i.e chart music May 2011, but as you can imagine this is annoying and would be so much easier to just put these singles into a folder called "chart hits". Does anyone know how to do this or how do you add new music without having to add new file names everytime.

anthf
23-05-2011, 06:30 AM
you need to this through ots studio in tools then under batch convert to ots.

Silver
23-05-2011, 07:10 AM
I make genres, Jan10, Apr10, Jul10 and Oct10 etc Then in a year or so after I use studio and remove the genre.

As an example, I might have Rihanna, Rude Boy with genres R&B, Dance, Female and Jan10. So probably near the end of this year I'll remove Jan10 and leave the R&B, Dance and Female.

I tried to edit and include this brainwave but whilst editing my 10 minutes ran out. (not enough time for me)

Anyway, on to the brainwave. How about setting up two genres chart and the month, say Apr, May, Jun etc

You could then search using chart&Apr&2011, everything you have put in those genres would appear. You could search back over the years then ... chart&Oct&2001, chart&Jan&1986 etc.

You know what, I'm going to give it a go, would save me having to go back in with studio to remove genres. What a spiffing idea, if I do say so myself! http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-9858.gif

DJ Frankie
23-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Mmmmm thats the only thing that lets Ots down, that you can't actually choose which folder to put files into when importing and saving.

Silver
23-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Mmmmm thats the only thing that lets Ots down, that you can't actually choose which folder to put files into when importing and saving.

You can always make an album called April 2011 etc.

DJ Frankie
23-05-2011, 11:17 AM
You can always make an album called April 2011 etc.

Yes maybe, im looking at re-importing all my tracks again so that I can tidy up my media folder, never realised you can play MP3 tracks directly into OTS I always thought that had to converted to OTS files.

Silver
23-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Yes you can play mp3's but I don't think you can search them as you can Ots files though.

Steve the DJ
23-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes you can play mp3's but I don't think you can search them as you can Ots files though.

Yes you can.

Creating an Ots file is about being able to add and store information that the standard file container can't handle or can't handle enough of to suit your needs.

If you import an MP3 file "as is" rather than putting it inside the Ots container then OtsAV creates a .omx file alongside it during the import which is where it stores all of the mix point info and stuff for searching.

You will find more information on Ots Files in the Web Help. (http://docs.otslabs.com/OtsStudio/help/what_is_an_ots_file.htm)

An Ots file allows many different data types, such as audio data, video data, CD+G data, title/artist information, copyright information, genre, album cover graphics, mix point information, etc, to be encapsulated in a single file.

In addition, an Ots file is not limited to a single track/song, but rather an entire album (or a lot more) can be contained. These capabilities make Ots files ideal for encapsulating an entire musical work of art, such as a CD, including all information -- not just the raw audio.

Steve the DJ
23-05-2011, 02:48 PM

Again, yes you can:

Does anyone read the manual these days? :p :D

Silver
28-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Frankie, had a play with my idea and it works like a dream. One of the great things about Ots, as you probably know is that you can have up to 128 genres, all that can be assigned to a track. So with this idea you can never run out of genres, unless you are still dj'ing when you're 110, just like me! http://planetsmilies.net/ill-violated-dead-smiley-5383.gif

I've made genres for the months of the year .... Apr, May, Jun etc.
I've also made genres for the years ... 08, 09,10,11 etc.

So, I can now search what tunes were in the charts in say Oct 2005, Jan 1998 and Jun 2011. You can also, if you wish search for chart hits in Sep&10&House etc. giving you all house, R&B, Ballad at those times.

It's probably not what you were looking for in an ideal world but maybe a workaround. However, for me it's ideal, so a big thank you for getting me to think about it. http://planetsmilies.net/music-smiley-1306.gif