PDA

View Full Version : Denon DN-MC6000 vs Traktor S4

Ecstatic Events
24-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Ola Mi Amigos!

I just wanted to know how many of you guys have had experience of BOTH.

I am looking to invest in either one of these, and I'm steering towards the S4. The layout seems so much more "methodical" and "workable" for me personally.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of each?

simonp
24-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Depends on what software you're going to be using - If using TP2 then go for the S4 - I'm using the S4 and opted for it over the 6000 after looking at both (I also looked at the DDJ-T1 and VSM4). It works prefectly out of the box with the software, no need to re-map anything, plus you've the additional hotkeys. Also the in-built souncard is fantastic (NI audio series), and noticed the difference straight away against the soundcard in my Pioneer CDJs.

If not using traktor then go for the 6000 - it's a nicer build amongst other things, I'm sure some Denon 6000 users will be on soon enough to tell you the virtues of that machine.

Ecstatic Events
24-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Traktor all the way for me - sounds like a no brainer. Cheers Simon :beer1:

P.s - I thought I'd read previously you'd bought the 6000?

simonp
24-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Traktor all the way for me - sounds like a no brainer. Cheers Simon :beer1:

P.s - I thought I'd read previously you'd bought the 6000?

No mate - this is how I roll at the moment

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/floorfillerz/SitandMRegis4small.jpg

:D

Mark Wild
24-05-2011, 06:07 PM
MC6000 has a booth out, 'touch' sensitive jogs (S4 is pressure), 2 mic inputs WITH EQ the build oozes quality compared to the S4 and it's also a stand alone analogue mixer.

S4 is less busy and set out a lot better, MC6000 is a little squashed in, but hey, we're mobile DJ's right? You'll get full version software with the S4 but you probably have that already being such a TP fan boy lol

Edit: Oh and the MC6000 master out is XLR

DJ Tony McQue
24-05-2011, 06:26 PM
No mate - this is how I roll at the moment

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/floorfillerz/SitandMRegis4small.jpg

:D

Do you have the s4 going into another mixer for backup Simon? Can you connect a microphone directly into the s4?

I had an MC6000 but did not like it in the end, the s4 does look good but the lack of split cue would do my head in. If there is a workaround that allows you to enable it, I would love to know.

Mark Wild
24-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Can you connect a microphone directly into the s4?

Yes you can, but no EQ ;)

I had an MC6000 but did not like it in the end

Why?

DJ Tony McQue
24-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Why?

I found the controls a bit cramped, the way you have to switch between VU meter monitoring modes begun to annoy me and the fact I could not find a case to mount it along with my backup player. You scared me when you said it had completely froze up on you, even the mixer. I never had that issue but it was there in the back of my mind at gigs.

It is a great product, just not for me and my big clumsy hands. I also prefer rotary mixers, I don't think Denon are likely to produce a rotary version.

Ecstatic Events
24-05-2011, 07:51 PM
This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear - Thanks guys!

Simon, how do you find not being able to EQ the Mic??? aaaaand is it noticable not having balanced outs whilst using the S4 on a big system? I know you've already mentioned the soundcard is top notch, but though I should ask :)

simonp
24-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Do you have the s4 going into another mixer for backup Simon? Can you connect a microphone directly into the s4?

I had an MC6000 but did not like it in the end, the s4 does look good but the lack of split cue would do my head in. If there is a workaround that allows you to enable it, I would love to know.

I don't go into another mixer. If I wanted to do that I'd need an external soundcard like an Audio 8 or 10 to have full control over the four channels. Yes you connect the mic direct into the back.

I'm not sure i fully understand the 'split cue' question, so can't answer that one :o

you have the option with a little flick of a switch at the back of the unit to route the mic through 1 of the 4 channels and you change the deck input in traktor to 'live input' - you've then got full EQ on your mic channel including a filter. you can also assign up to 12 seperate effects to that mic channel so you can have some real fun with the mic. Combine that with the loop recorder and for those that feel the need to you can record your own interesting jingles and samples :D

This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear - Thanks guys!

Simon, how do you find not being able to EQ the Mic???

answered that one above mate

aaaaand is it noticable not having balanced outs whilst using the S4 on a big system? I know you've already mentioned the soundcard is top notch, but though I should ask :)

I played Margate Winter Gardens last Friday which is a big venue - The RCA outs went to my graphic equaliser RCA in. Out of the equaliser via XLR to the sub and out to the tops. The sound filled the place and I only had my master volume at 2 o'clock in traktor and the RCF tops were at 2 0'clock also, so I had plenty in reserve.

WWDJ
24-05-2011, 10:51 PM
aaaaand is it noticable not having balanced outs whilst using the S4 on a big system?

I believe the S4 does have balanced outputs. According to the NI site it does. They are however 1/4" jack rather than XLR.

If a lottery win ensued tonight, I would be straight down the shops for an S4.