PDA

View Full Version : Ask for a table or not?

scoopd
26-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Just curious as to how many people still ask for a table when they arrive at venues

Dynamic Entertainment
26-05-2011, 09:28 AM
I still often get asked (usually in social clubs) if I want a table...or theres some left on stage anyway, but it dont use them for equipment.

Vectis
26-05-2011, 09:29 AM
You've missed a poll choice:

"Ask for the table that's been thoughtfully provided to be shifted out of the way so I can get my gear in" :p

Corabar Steve
26-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I think the poll question is prejudiced.

I don't use a laptop or CDs.

To answer the question in post #1 though, I have my playout flightcase, my amps & my hard drives on my modified (stronger wheels) Ultimax Micromax (obviously my lights go on the overhead, unless we're doing a big job that requires more lighting, when they have their own goalpost).

The only need for a table I would have is for somewhere to put my refreshments on & my leads case fulfills that requirement nicely.

supersound
26-05-2011, 10:57 AM
99% I take my wheel n winch,but I also perform a hefty christening and comun ion turnover of gigs.these are quite often upstairs and i take a simple lightweight rig to these events.
The same rig I used in the ship.

Paul

funkymook
26-05-2011, 11:51 AM
The only need for a table I would have is for somewhere to put my refreshments on

Do what I do and set-up right next to the buffet - saves queuing!

Interesting point earlier about venues assuming you'll need a table, a few I've been to have been surprised I have my own stand - most tables are too low to use comfortably anyway.

Excalibur
26-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Interesting point earlier about venues assuming you'll need a table, a few I've been to have been surprised I have my own stand - most tables are too low to use comfortably anyway.

Sit down then. Simples. :sofa:

funkymook
26-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Sit down then. Simples. :sofa:

Only when I'm eating!

Excalibur
26-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Only when I'm eating!

Good man. Decorum at all times. :thumbs_up:

Shakermaker Promotions
26-05-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't use CD's anymore so I don't really have the need for a table. Saying that though, if there is one there already and it's covered, I will put cases and covers underneath it so they are hidden away and not on view. I usually put them back in the van once I've set up as I hate seeing cases etc on view...one of my pet hates.

Ecstatic Events
26-05-2011, 12:42 PM
All this talk of using LAPTOPS and CD's is confusing me? You either ask for a table or you DONT?

I use the Ultimax, and it doesnt really matter what playout I would be using Turntables, CD's, Laptops, Media Players, Gramaphones.... All the gear would be flightcased and sit on the Ultimax.

DazzyD
26-05-2011, 01:14 PM
My trusty converted old computer desk is just fine for what I want it to do so I have no need for more tables!

simonp
26-05-2011, 01:50 PM
I either use one of my Ultimax's or my RoadReady DJ Table - set up and venue dependant.

I sometimes get asked if at a new venue to me if I require a table - to which I look suitably disgusted that they have actually asked me that question, and often reply "sorry, does that actually happen anymore, surely you don't get people wanting a venue table to set up on, in this day in age" then walk awaay tutting loudly and saying heavily under my breath but load enough to hear "un-bloody-professionals, a table indeed" :sj:

chrisj
26-05-2011, 01:51 PM
I never borrow a table as I use speaker and flight cases to stand anything on.

Dynamic Entertainment
26-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I worked with a band recently who put their big speakers up on venue tables....

Larry B Entertainment
26-05-2011, 01:57 PM
For me it depends on the gig. If its a family (free) affair then I will probably use a venue table and put a cloth over it. For commercial paying gigs I take my own stand.

WWDJ
26-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I tend to setup on the pool table for that classy look :D

Larry B Entertainment
26-05-2011, 02:08 PM

I sometimes set up on the end of the bar. Saves walking backwards and forwards ;)

Javlingames
26-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I ask for a table but i do supply the cloths to cover it.

Back in the day when i had a van i carried 4 tables with me, the slim ones. I think they are made by Burgess. I had 2 6ft ones, a 5ft and a 4ft.

I do carry a cross stand just incase there are not any tables.

Ecstatic Events
26-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Aaah those were the days - Loads of space for the 1210's and record boxes!

WWDJ
26-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Aaah those were the days - Loads of space for the 1210's and record boxes!

LOL in some of the places I have DJ'd in the past it's actually not such a ridiculous suggestion. :D