PDA

View Full Version : A Mac Puts You in a Different League...

rossken
27-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Following on from Charlie's Laptop Help thread...

I recently watched a video of a DJ on Youtube who had just bought a Macbook Pro and one of his reasons for getting it was so customers could differentiate between him and sixy quid sids etc. instantly. He was suggesting that by having a Mac you are automatically in a totally different league.

So what do you think - Does having that shiny, lit up Apple logo on the back of your laptop immediately suggest you are a professional?

Ecstatic Events
27-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I had a guest that told me I was crap because I didn't have one (after saying he was impressed with the rest of the setup!)

He made me laugh out loud.

I want to eventually use a Mac, but I'm in no hurry ;)

Shakermaker Promotions
27-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Again...in my opinion it's gear snobbery. As they say "It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it..." (ooer!) :eek:

You could have the best equipment there is and may have spent fortunes on it but if you aren't any good then what's the point? You may look good but at the end of the day, it's the way YOU are and the way you project yourself with the skills of the job. I have by no means the best equipment in the world but at least I have a bit of talent, enough to keep getting the work coming in anyway.

A logo, label or anything else doesn't bother me.... Of course, If I came into some decent money, I would invest in higher spec and quality equipment but that still doesn't mean I would be the best DJ in the world just because I have top notch equipment.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2011, 10:23 AM
There is a phrase that comes to mind.

All the gear, no idea.....

yourdj
27-05-2011, 10:27 AM
One DJ at our meet said if you spent the money you would spend on a mac on a good pc machine it would out perform it anyday. I tend too agree.

If all the notifications and all the rest of the garbage that comes with windows is turned off and it never touches the internet then yes :)
The majority of club DJ's I know and producers use macs. you only have to walk around BPM too see the popularity as a DJ tool.

and they do look good, although getting a PC and putting a lit up pear in it would add comedy value :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YUQGRDyCROM/TYCeQuJab2I/AAAAAAAADG0/21DEfsb5aw4/s320/setup2.jpg

rossken
27-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Again...in my opinion it's gear snobbery. As they say "It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it..." (ooer!) :eek:

You could have the best equipment there is and may have spent fortunes on it but if you aren't any good then what's the point? You may look good but at the end of the day, it's the way YOU are and the way you project yourself with the skills of the job. I have by no means the best equipment in the world but at least I have a bit of talent, enough to keep getting the work coming in anyway.

A logo, label or anything else doesn't bother me.... Of course, If I came into some decent money, I would invest in higher spec and quality equipment but that still doesn't mean I would be the best DJ in the world just because I have top notch equipment.

I totally agree.

For me - ok I use a Mac, however, it's controlled with a Numark Controller, and played through Behringer speakers - I do usually go for the cheapest thing that does the job well.

Is it just because the public know that a Mac is more expensive than your average PC, yet don't know that Denon is more expensive than Numark, for example.

Mark Wild
27-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I get confused here tbh, if your laptop runs your DJ software of choice without any problems at all, why would a MAC be any better?

I'm talking laptops that are used ONLY to run your DJ software, nothing else, that's their sole purpose.

Ecstatic Events
27-05-2011, 10:36 AM
I get confused here tbh, if your laptop runs your DJ software of choice without any problems at all, why would a MAC be any better?

I'm talking laptops that are used ONLY to run your DJ software, nothing else, that's their sole purpose.

I think the crux of the matter boils down to the label "industry standard"

Love it or loathe it - This is almost certainly the case with Macbook Pro.

Similar to the following gear becoming "industry standard" Technics 1210's/Pioneer CDJs/Pioneer DJM blah blah blah.

Different strokes, different folks.

Shakermaker Promotions
27-05-2011, 10:38 AM
I have one laptop now as my other broke. It's an HP G6000 and it does me fine. It's not the best in the world and I am running tons of stuff on it. I use it for Karaoke, Race Nights, VDJ and Photo Projection but I also use it for working at home too, surfing the net, posting on here and doing all of my accounts etc....It has never let me down ever so if it does the job, why should I fork out for a Mac just because it may look better to other people when I don't really care?

I may print out a picture of a Granny Smiths and stick it on the front of my laptop.

Glenski
27-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Poppycock !!

Corabar Entertainment
27-05-2011, 11:40 AM
They shouldn't even be seeing the back of your kit IMO, so they'd never know what laptop you're running.

WWDJ
27-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Does having that shiny, lit up Apple logo on the back of your laptop immediately suggest you are a professional?

Yes.

Doesn't mean you are though :D

I made the change in August last year and I am going nothing different now to what I was doing then.

Excalibur
27-05-2011, 11:48 AM
They shouldn't even be seeing the back of your kit IMO, so they'd never know what laptop you're running.

Oooooh no Angela. If you've got it, flaunt it. ;) :D :D

Javlingames
27-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I own a toshiba laptop but have used macs with my preffered choice of dj programme and i felt mine performed better. But people with macs seem to love them.

simonp
27-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I use a Macbook Pro Aluminim

Does it look nice? - Yes
Does it tell me what songs to play? - No
Does it make me a better DJ? - No

WWDJ
27-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I use a Macbook Pro Aluminim

Does it look nice? - Yes
Does it tell me what songs to play? - No
Does it make me a better DJ? - No