PDA

View Full Version : laptop help

Pe7e
30-05-2011, 12:46 PM
like Charlie I spilled a drink on my keyboard and killed my lappy. If I get a usb caddy and plug the laptops HD into it, will I be able to connect the caddy to another PC and read the files? or is it more complicated than that to access the files on my dead lappy? I didn't have a backup

DiscoPromotions
30-05-2011, 12:51 PM
like Charlie I spilled a drink on my keyboard and killed my lappy. If I get a usb caddy and plug the laptops HD into it, will I be able to connect the caddy to another PC and read the files? or is it more complicated than that to access the files on my dead lappy? I didn't have a backup

This will depend if the hard drive was fried with it as well. Usually hard drives are safe as they are enclosed, it is the connections that exposed.

To answer you question, it would be try and see as you really need to put it in the USB caddy to find out if can or can't get your files.

Working in IT I have had people spill Coffee, Tea, Orange Juice and one person split Whiskey down one laptop; can't understand why whiskey was in the workplace as no drinking on site; 9 times out of 10 we were able to recover the data.

Charlie Brown
30-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I have let mine to dry out and will try it later on.

Is it upside down? I have put a lightbulb in-between the laptop sides so it's giving off a gentle 'warmth'.

Pe7e
30-05-2011, 01:33 PM
That's good news, I'll get a caddy ordered, it was a JD and coke that got spilt on mine, lesson learned.:daft:

Charlie Brown
30-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Mine's working now so good luck!

DazzyD
30-05-2011, 09:59 PM
It could be a case of just letting it dry out and keeping your fingers crossed. It's a possibility that your laptop will work but you may have problems with the keyboard (ie keys sticking, pressing one key and getting a completely different result, or the keyboard not working at all). If this is the case, then you could try plugging in a USB keyboard which will, at the very least, let you access the laptop to copy your files over to an external drive so you can access them from a new / another computer.

I think it really depends on how much liquid you spilled on your laptop and if you managed to get it unplugged and turned off before any lasting damage occurred.

Keep us updated to how you get on.