PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day Wedding

Spirits High
30-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Been to a wedding Fayre today and was asked if I was available on Christmas day :eek:

Now I know some folks have the whole Family Christmas thing but for me personally it's just another day not having kids etc and the rest of my family is down south.

I'm going to quote for the job and see how I get on. Just wondered how many would if the chance occurred gig on Xmas day.

Added a little Poll aswell ;)

djdave01
30-05-2011, 04:36 PM
i would do it for a premium rate.

i usually have my daughter with me in the morning on xmas day, but after shes gone home i dont do much else except drink lol

Danno13
30-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Only if I really needed the money.

Daryll
30-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I voted at the premium rate , main reason is my wife usually has to work x-mas day (senior carer) , so it makes no difference to me.

Daryll

Shakermaker Promotions
30-05-2011, 04:45 PM
In total honesty, I would treble my usual rate (no jokes please).
I don't have kids and it is just another day really. I can totally understand those that have kids, especially young ones, wanting to be with their families and also the younger DJ's on here wanting to open up their presents etc (that was in jest by the way).

Yep, I'd do it but it would have to be worth my while. Earn as much as possible in December to see me through January when it's a bit quieter.

Shaun
30-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I voted no. I'd rather spend the day with family.

Excalibur
30-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I haven't voted, but even though I'd cheerfully quote for such a gig, were I to accept it, the Dearly Beloved might easily separate me from that which I hold dear. :eek: :( :(

DeckstarDeluxe
30-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Working Xmas day I would expect at least double my normal rate. Family all live up north and no girlfriend its usually just a sunday type day of watching films eating crap and playing some xbox.

flatliners
30-05-2011, 05:07 PM
About 1500 would do

Cowlinn
30-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Never worked Christmas day, never will.

Ecstatic Events
30-05-2011, 05:27 PM
I have three kids and providing I could spend the majority of my day with them I would accept a booking that paid +++£1000.

I'd even dress up as Santa too :D

Shakermaker Promotions
30-05-2011, 05:29 PM
That reminds me of something Mike so I may have to start a new thread rather than hi-jack this one. For the record though, I'd be looking at £1000+ too.

STEVE HANLEY
30-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't work for my full time employers on Xmas day, but I'd happily do it for my disco at a higher rate of course.

Most people who have full time jobs and work on Xmas day used to get paid double time and a day off in lieu. I don't know if that's the case these days mind:)

Ecstatic Events
30-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I'd be looking at £1000+ too.

Christmas is all about excess ;)

Charlie Brown
30-05-2011, 05:44 PM
For the record though, I'd be looking at £1000+ too.

I would be very happy with that.

BeerFunk
30-05-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't celebrate Christmas, so I'd be quite happy to work it, but I would still expect to be paid the going rate.

DeckstarDeluxe
30-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't work for my full time employers on Xmas day, but I'd happily do it for my disco at a higher rate of course.

Most people who have full time jobs and work on Xmas day used to get paid double time and a day off in lieu. I don't know if that's the case these days mind:)

Use to be triple back when I ran the garages :)

Penfold42
30-05-2011, 06:13 PM
“Money is not the most important thing in the world. Love is. Fortunately, I love money.” :D

....put the quote in......see what happens. :)

STEVE HANLEY
30-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Use to be triple back when I ran the garages :)

Probably was triple time Neil. My memory's not what it used to be:daft:

Twinspin
30-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't do it. Ive never worked xmas day yet and would not ever.

Larry B Entertainment
30-05-2011, 07:46 PM
In total honesty, I would treble my usual rate (no jokes please).

What......go out for a massive £180 ?

Sorry, couldn't resist lol

DJ Paulie
30-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I'd do it at 2.5 times my normal rate and expect some sort of bonus in the form of a prezzie ! :daft: It's only me and the mrs and usually I veg out in front of the TV drinking and stuffing myself with xmas goodies. She doesn't drink so nothing lost there. In fact she CAN'T get drunk ! Lord I've tried, at a wedding where we were guests I was getting her double malibus with a vodka in it topped up with 7up, nothing !

DazzyD
30-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Some things are still sacred! As much as I'd like to get paid a huge sum of money for doing a job I love, I have 3 young kids and spending Christmas Day with them means more to me than money.

Besides, if I worked instead I think their mam would kill me! :eek:

Charlie Brown
30-05-2011, 09:34 PM
She doesn't drink so nothing lost there. In fact she CAN'T get drunk ! Lord I've tried, at a wedding where we were guests I was getting her double malibus with a vodka in it topped up with 7up, nothing !

Don't you think it's unprofessional to drink at a wedding? You've been invited to be a guest on someone's special day. Boozing and getting messy isn't the right way to go about it IMO.

:D :D

Corabar Steve
30-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I have done Christmas Day gigs before & would again.

I won't work on my birthday however, never have from the day I left school.

Kernow
30-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I would do a wedding on Christmas Day at a premium rate.
Having done one last New Years Eve I don't see a problem.

STEVE HANLEY
30-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Are there many venues that even cater for Xmas day weddings then? If there are I'll bet they're not cheap

DJ Paulie
30-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Don't you think it's unprofessional to drink at a wedding? You've been invited to be a guest on someone's special day. Boozing and getting messy isn't the right way to go about it IMO.

Charlie you need to go back to school mate ! Either that or you need glasses because everyone of my posts you seem to read wrongly, plus you don't know how we do weddings here, we were staying over and it was for the wife's nephew. It was about 6 weeks after I came here and was a good way to introduce me to the family, so to speak !

You obviously have 2 sets of rules, one set that says 'thou shalt not drink' the other one says 'Charlie can when he's working if he wants, but frowns on anyone else doing it' :muppet:

JUMTC

:beer1:

funkymook
30-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Charlie you need to go back to school mate ! Either that or you need glasses because everyone of my posts you seem to read wrongly, plus you don't know how we do weddings here, we were staying over and it was for the wife's nephew. It was about 6 weeks after I came here and was a good way to introduce me to the family, so to speak !

You obviously have 2 sets of rules, one set that says 'thou shalt not drink' the other one says 'Charlie can when he's working if he wants, but frowns on anyone else doing it' :muppet:

JUMTC

:beer1:

Paul I think you missed Charlie's smilies at the bottom of his post - he wasn't being serious :)

DJ Paulie
30-05-2011, 11:20 PM
ok fair do's Martin, but did I say I got messy ? (I did actually 3 bottles of red and 6 vodka redbull !!!)

Corabar Entertainment
30-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Paul I think you missed Charlie's smilies at the bottom of his post - he wasn't being serious :)Indeed. I think Charlie was taking the mickey out of himself for getting it so wrong on your other thread.

Granted, Charlie's humour can be easy to miss at times, because you never know if he is just being a :muppet: .... (:p :p :p ) but on this occasion, it was fairly obvious (providing you're used to him). :)

yourdj
31-05-2011, 01:03 AM
I would do if my Girlfriend was not Polish.
To her christmas is everything. I would personally rather be Djing at a wedding for twice the normal cash :D

Then have fun on Boxing day instead

you need glasses

He has got glasses - its on his avatar :p

:)

DJ Paulie
31-05-2011, 01:24 AM
LOL I have avatars turned off ! I've only just started using this forum as I have been sent to coventry by another well known forum ! I'm sure I'll get used to charlie soon :)

Charlie Brown
31-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Post again without breaching Rule 16 Charlie.
You've been here long enough to know the score.

Steve Cheese
31-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm surprised that a very important point has not been woven into this thread yet.

What about all the wedding guests? Is it not slightly presumptuous of the B&G to expect all their guests to give up their Christmas to attend their wedding?

But to answer the question, yes I would consider taking a gig in Christmas day. Dur to shift work in my full time job it is not unusual for me to have to work anyway.

Steve

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
31-05-2011, 09:28 AM
If the customer really wanted it (and paid a suitably agreed fee)
Then i would certainly do the gig.
Im a self employed full time DJ so im afraid the money is important
This year i have taken a New Years Eve Wedding..

Cheers

Excalibur
31-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm surprised that a very important point has not been woven into this thread yet.
What about all the wedding guests? Is it not slightly presumptuous of the B&G to expect all their guests to give up their Christmas to attend their wedding?

In my opinion,that's irrelevant. The guests aren't paying your wages, so don't hav any bearing on it.

DazzyD
31-05-2011, 12:52 PM
In my opinion,that's irrelevant. The guests aren't paying your wages, so don't hav any bearing on it.

But a wedding with no guests would surely have a bearing on the success of the event?

Shaun
31-05-2011, 12:57 PM
But a wedding with no guests would surely have a bearing on the success of the event?

The OP asked the question 'who would gig' on Xmas day. You could still take on the gig and provide your services whether any guests came or not. So the success of the evening is still irrelevant in relation to the question posed. :P :d

Excalibur
31-05-2011, 01:01 PM

The OP asked the question 'who would gig' on Xmas day. You could still take on the gig and provide your services whether any guests came or not. So the success of the evening is still irrelevant in relation to the question posed. :P :d

Correctamundo, Shaun. It would have no effect whatsoever on the wad of pound notes in your pocket. ;) :D

Jonathan Ford
31-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I'd do it for my standard rate. Just another day, and have worked Xmas Day, Boxing Day or both pretty much every year since I've been working.

ppentertainments
31-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I was going to vote No, but.......

Should someone offer to pay me the equivalent of a week away in the sun for my family, I think I probably would take it. My NYE fee is basically the same as NYE is a special family time for me also.

I would check with family first but I know what their feelings would be :)