PDA

View Full Version : Getting guests to go outside.

Spirits High
01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I had a call last night from a Groom of one of this months weddings. He has a surprise firework display planned for the reception. When I say surprise only he and I plus the firework people know about it.

What he asked was if I knew any ingenious ways of getting the guests to go outside into the gardens at approx 10.30pm without telling them why :D

Now obviously setting off the fire alarms etc is a no go due to the rest of the hotel having non wedding party guests in it.

So I thought I'd see if anyone had done this before or has a good way of doing it.

Sensible solutions that could actually be achieved please ;)

Corabar Entertainment
01-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, if you can't come up with anything else, there's always the direct and simple approach - make an announcement asking people to go outside where the groom has a surprise for his new wife.

Not too ingenious, I'll grant you, but as I said, it does the job if you can't come up with a better way!

:lol:

chrisj
01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I've had this before, more than once in 40 years, and 5 minutes before the display I turned the music off telling the people not to be alarmed and asked everyone to go outside as it always takes them time to think about it. They cannot all get through the exit at once. If they do not move turn the mic up and say it clearly and mention this is at the grooms request (if he will allow you to say it).
Any that do not go outside at first usually do so when they hear the firework display.
All the best.

funkymook
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Get a Conga line going - they always end up going out the door!

Excalibur
01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Get a Conga line going - they always end up going out the door!

Sounds like a job for Charlie Brown. :D :D :D :D

Charlie Brown
01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a job for Charlie Brown. :D :D :D :D

:lol:

yourdj
01-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Conga line can work although a bit risky for time and if it actually works. I would give a good five min leeway, or even better have direct contact with the firework people via mobile or radio so you can tell them when everyone is ready.

If the best man or ushers are allowed to know let them get people moving outside at the right time. Turn off music and tell there is a surprise of some sort outside. I suppose it depends on th venue too the level of orchestration and number of guests as you may have to move 200 people 200 metres, iN which case a conga line may be a very good option with some prewarning to key members of the group to move things along.

Daryll
01-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Play agadoo :D :D

sweetie
01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Is the conga back in fashion?

Had an impromptu conga start during 'Call me Al' at a wedding on saturday.
Another bride has requested on for her wedding in a couple of weeks!

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Drop a stink bomb. :sj:

yourdj
01-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Had an impromptu conga start during 'Call me Al' at a wedding on saturday.
Another bride has requested on for her wedding in a couple of weeks!

When ever I play hot hot hot people always do the conga or sometimes limbo, without me saying anything :confused:

DeckstarDeluxe
01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Conga lines are coming back into fashion for me too!.

chrisj
01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Play agadoo :D :D

Daryll, I think you deserve top marks.

Spirits High
01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas people ;)

Stink bomb sounds good :D but I must say the conga may well be the way forward.....literally :D :D

Steve Cheese
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Get a fire alarm sound effect. Kill the music and play it through your PA. Announce "Looks like we have an alarm, I'm sure all is fine but just to be sure can everyone make their way outside....."
Have all other exits covered with an usher to guide everyone the correct way.
That would work. Ensure the venue manager knows what you are doing though, and the Ushers of course.

Or just the simple tried and tested 'make an announcement asking people to go outside where the groom has a surprise for his new wife'. This has worked for me, but everyone will guess what it is. As said, not many will move until they start to hear it.

Mark Wild
01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Gas leak? :eek:

hammy
01-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Conga lines are coming back into fashion for me too!.

Here as well

I think the idea of a fire alarm going through the PA is the best suggestion

mattydj50
05-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Gas leak? :eek:

A human one?

ian8limelight
05-06-2011, 09:12 PM
How about a fire alarm TEST ..... there's plenty of sound effects CD's with them on.

Andy Collins
04-07-2011, 09:24 AM
play the birdie song or anything by black lace

Charlie Brown
04-07-2011, 09:47 AM
What have you decided to do Paul? :)

Spirits High
04-07-2011, 10:07 AM
What have you decided to do Paul? :)

Decided to do as the event was last week ;)

Went with the Fire Alarm sound effect 69p off iTunes :D

Went really well as the staff turned on the house lights and ushered everyone outside. Once they were out House lights off and fireworks begin!

The Bride was happy as she mentioned it in an email:

"You even came up with a creative way to get the guests outside for the surprise firework display!"

So that'll be a collective forum "thank you" :D

Funnily enough used the same fire alarm effect last night for another surprise firework display.

surround sounds
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Decided to do as the event was last week ;)

Went with the Fire Alarm sound effect 69p off iTunes :D

Went really well as the staff turned on the house lights and ushered everyone outside. Once they were out House lights off and fireworks begin!

The Bride was happy as she mentioned it in an email:

"You even came up with a creative way to get the guests outside for the surprise firework display!"

So that'll be a collective forum "thank you" :D

Funnily enough used the same fire alarm effect last night for another surprise firework display.

Thats a great idea.I got one coming up soon..I will have to get that sound effect

leelive
04-07-2011, 01:25 PM

I had to play it on Saturday at a wedding!! Crazy. Good job I had Black Lace's Greatest Hits.

Lee