PDA

View Full Version : IP Help. Emails banned by Spamcop!!

leelive
01-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Several times in the last few months I have done an email shot to the 800 people in a Wedding Fair database.

Last night I found that lots of regular email that I try to send are being rejected as my IP address is now on a banned list with SPAMCOP!

This is the message I get: Remote host said: 550 SpamCop Block List.

In the last hour I have started changing my email provider... but I fear that it is my IP that is banned. If this is the case how can I change it?

Lee

Danno13
01-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure you can ask your ISP for a new IP address, alot of the time they change every x weeks/month anyway.

My advice would also be to stop spamming people and then you won't end up getting on a spam list :D

DeckstarDeluxe
01-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I had similar things happen after a couple of Wedding Fayres earlier in the year. Martin wasn't happy......

hammy
01-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Depends on wether you have a static or dynamic IP, Reset your router will change a dynamic IP, If you have Dynamic IP through your Website Host it means that you are sharing an IP Address with several other customers.

discomobiledj
01-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Are you with o2 by any chance?

yourdj
01-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Depends on wether you have a static or dynamic IP, Reset your router will change a dynamic IP, If you have Dynamic IP through your Website Host it means that you are sharing an IP Address with several other customers.

:agree:

just ask them too change it otherwise. :)

change the email address too if you can. Just the first bit before the @

Vectis
01-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Chances are that your mass mails have been met with a high proportion of people hitting the "Report Spam" button and hence the block, eh Neil? ;)

Research the appeals procedure for the organisation applying the block and work through it with them. It can usually be resolved in a day or two once you convince them that you're not a 'real' spammer and that you have opt-in permission from the folks you're trying to reach.

Changing IP address is an option but if every spammer did this everytime they hit a block, then eventually every spare address would be blacklisted :o

leelive
01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Chances are that your mass mails have been met with a high proportion of people hitting the "Report Spam" button and hence the block, eh Neil? ;)

Research the appeals procedure for the organisation applying the block and work through it with them. It can usually be resolved in a day or two once you convince them that you're not a 'real' spammer and that you have opt-in permission from the folks you're trying to reach.

Changing IP address is an option but if every spammer did this everytime they hit a block, then eventually every spare address would be blacklisted :o

Thanks. Will do.
Lee

Marc J
02-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Are you absolutely sure it's your IP that's blacklisted? IIRC Spamcop use a "guilty by association" rule as well so it may be the domain in the from field in the emails you're sending that is blacklisted, or the IP for the server it is hosted on. This can complicate things further because if you are on a shared hosting account (which is probably the case) it could be anybody on the server who has triggered the spam report, and it's down to the server operator to clear it with Spamcop.

It's quite rare for your IP (i.e. the IP assigned to you by your ISP when you connect) to be blacklisted. For this to happen you have to send a lot of emails from your desktop (rather than through a service like Mailchimp, or using software installed on your own server like PHPList or DadaMail). Even in these cases most people are on a dynamic IP and only need to reconnect to get another IP address.