PDA

View Full Version : Running a laptop as a server

Danno13
01-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Ok, I've recently bought Rentaldesk to make my hire business much easier and more organised. Now, it runs on a client/server system, so I've setup my main office PC as the server and can either login from the client software on that, or use my laptop anywhere around the house to connect to the database and access everything exactly the same.

So, given that I'm at my lockup probably half of my working week and out of the road for the other half, I was thinking that it may be a better solution to use a laptop as the server so I can use it wherever I am (without even needing internet) and then if I want to work from my main PC, I can just leave it switched on and connected (by wire) to the network, whenever I'm at home.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Would I need a particularly high spec laptop?

Booche
01-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I shouldn't see why Dan as all you are doing is accessing basic word files etc just aslong as yousetit up properley i used to use a server company years ago for y designs so i could access the any were and i used to use a really low spec lappy to do it (but it was hosted for me so maybe that was why) BUT i cant see why you shouldnt be able to even use your phone etc to grab documents from as they are small files to which im guessing you will only need.

Link: http://www.ovh.co.uk/

They are who i used to use.

WWDJ
02-06-2011, 09:04 AM
If I've read this right the server and client software can happily co-exist on the same machine.

How much power you need really depends upon the underlying database and of course bearing in mind that the machine will be running both the client and server applications so giving it fair bit of memory would be useful

I don't know the specs for the client or server applications but I would imagine 2gb+ would be the order of the day.

RevolutionDiscoNW
02-06-2011, 06:08 PM
if you have an i phone there is a handy little app now that you can add to your desktop on any pc and your phone and any docs that you drop in on your pc can be seen on your phone !

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-06-2011, 07:04 PM
if you have an i phone there is a handy little app now that you can add to your desktop on any pc and your phone and any docs that you drop in on your pc can be seen on your phone !

....called?

Jiggles
02-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Looking at the program and seeing as it would have little users attached to it any kind of medium spec laptop would run fine as a server. I know someone who has ran a web server off one rather successfully!

Vectis
02-06-2011, 07:47 PM

That would be Dropbox (or one of its competitors) but I see absolutely no relevance with this thread :confused: