PDA

View Full Version : VGA lead/karaoke problem

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm almost sure that I have the answer to this, but am just checking to see if anyone else can see something that I can't.

For the last few years, I've used Rextron VGA splitters (http://www.kvmdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Rextron_Video_Splitters.html) for karaoke, either 2 port or 4 port depending on how many monitors are being used.

There is a male to female lead going from the VGA out on the laptop to the splitter and then male to male leads going from the splitter out to the monitors.

A few months back I had a problem and it all came down to the lead going from the laptop to splitter, so I bought another one and it worked.

A couple of my guys used the monitors for karaoke recently and said they couldn't get 2 screens to work at the same time, so I have been testing today.

With the splitter and 2 monitors, I can't get anything either, but when I take the cable from the monitor, the monitor says "no signal", so it must be getting some kind of signal.

I have changed the cables going from splitter to monitors and even changed the splitters, but nothing works. If I go directly from the laptop to monitor, it works fine, so the only thing I can think, is that the lead from laptop to splitter doesn't work.

...unless anyone else can see where else there would be a problem?

James
02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Have you tried the extend my laptop onto this monitor thing in windows control panel?

Excalibur
02-06-2011, 08:58 PM
From your description, the logical answer seems to be the first lead. However, you say you have just swapped that lead, so it seems curious that it should fail so quickly. :confused:

The possibility which comes to my mind is failure of the power supply to the splitter. Is that a possibility? It tallies with the "No signal" message in my view.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Have you tried the extend my laptop onto this monitor thing in windows control panel?

No, it's nothing to do with the software as it works when going directly from laptop to one monitor without the splitter.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-06-2011, 09:01 PM
The possibility which comes to my mind is failure of the power supply to the splitter. Is that a possibility? It tallies with the "No signal" message in my view.

No, there are 2 lights on the splitter, one for power and the other for signal. The no signal message is only displayed when you take the VGA lead out of one of the monitors, proving there is some kind of signal going to it from the splitter.

Excalibur
02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
No, there are 2 lights on the splitter, one for power and the other for signal. The no signal message is only displayed when you take the VGA lead out of one of the monitors, proving there is some kind of signal going to it from the splitter.

One of us is confused here. My theory is that if the power was insufficient, you would be sending a signal to the monitor, but degraded because of the four way split. Not enough to give a viable display, but enough to tell the monitor that a signal was present. Thus unplugging the cable would result in the "No signal" message appearing, as you say.

This theory falls down sadly, if as you say there is a light proclaiming power to be present. Shame, cos I thought it fitted the scenario nicely. ;)

Conversely, is the signal light lit? I'm presuming from what you say that it is, which goes against the faulty M/F cable theory. :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
One of us is confused here

Yep, you. ;)

Edit - having said that, I have got a different adapter to try for the splitter, but the power and signal lights are on at all times, so I can't see it being that.

Glenski
02-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Just a long shot, but i had a similar thing happen to me !!

Have you or your OS updated your graphics drivers recently ? as it may be directly related to your graphics card be it intergrated or dedicated ?

Thank you

Glenn

Excalibur
02-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Yep, you. ;)

Edit - having said that, I have got a different adapter to try for the splitter, but the power and signal lights are on at all times, so I can't see it being that.

And I can't see where the problem can be, if the lights are to be believed. :confused: If the light says a signal is going in, and the monitor says a satisfactory one isn't coming out, only two possibilities exist.
1) Splitter faulty.
2) input cable faulty, but delivering just enough signal to illuminate the light.

I'm quickly runnning out of suggestions. :confused: Other than swapping every component one by one for known units.

Glenski
02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Are you able to setup the system on another laptop or PC ?

Thank you

Glenn

Booche
02-06-2011, 10:26 PM

No, it's nothing to do with the software as it works when going directly from laptop to one monitor without the splitter.

Thats the first thing i thought of when i read your post Darren and just to say it will work fine on one monitor as it doesnt have to split the screen, so laptop to one monitor will work fine but i would try either extending the desktop or split the screens as i did for some other kind gentleman on here i sorted it for him as it was the settings :) (unless you have already then i apolagise in advance)

Sorry its not much help :o

Excalibur
02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Test the M/F cable itself by plugging a M/M cable into it, and then a monitor. Get a picture, M/F cable's fine. No picture, M/F cable's faulty.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-06-2011, 08:26 AM
1) Splitter faulty.

I have 2 - a 2 port and a 4 port. The 4 port was unused, and I have tried both and I can't believe they are both faulty!

Are you able to setup the system on another laptop or PC ?

Thank you

Glenn

One of my guys tried to use it without success on a different laptop.

Test the M/F cable itself by plugging a M/M cable into it, and then a monitor. Get a picture, M/F cable's fine. No picture, M/F cable's faulty.

Good idea (if the pins are the same!)

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Well, I have the answer, and it is "Darren is a muppet" ...

Thanks to Peter who told me to check the power supplies.

As previously mentioned, I have a 2 port and 4 port splitter both with power supplies, but one power supply was different to the other and I didn't take much notice until I tried the one I wasn't using and hey presto it all worked.

It actually solved 2 mysteries. A few weeks ago, I couldn't get a couple of external hard drives to work, so just assumed they were dead. I tried a couple of power supplies and nothing would work. Luckily, though I bought another couple of drives to replace them, I didn't chuck the old ones out. It turns out that the hard drive power supply got mixed up with the splitter power supply which is why neither the HDD or splitter would work!

I need a lie down now...

Thanks again to all who suggested things, but especially to Peter.

Glenski
03-06-2011, 11:37 AM

As previously mentioned, I have a 2 port and 4 port splitter both with power supplies, but one power supply was different to the other and I didn't take much notice until I tried the one I wasn't using and hey presto it all worked.

It actually solved 2 mysteries. A few weeks ago, I couldn't get a couple of external hard drives to work, so just assumed they were dead. I tried a couple of power supplies and nothing would work. Luckily, though I bought another couple of drives to replace them, I didn't chuck the old ones out. It turns out that the hard drive power supply got mixed up with the splitter power supply which is why neither the HDD or splitter would work!

I need a lie down now...

Rodney !!!! you ....

hammy
03-06-2011, 11:56 AM

I need a lie down now...

I use one of these and each plug has a name on it I.E Cortex ETC ETC

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1T4GZEU_enGB403GB404&q=dymo+letratag&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5091061473632822765&sa=X&ei=kcvoTbuXFcHX8gP6_ZCcAQ&ved=0CHwQ8wIwAw#

Vectis
03-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I use one of these and each plug has a name on it I.E Cortex ETC ETC

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1T4GZEU_enGB403GB404&q=dymo+letratag&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5091061473632822765&sa=X&ei=kcvoTbuXFcHX8gP6_ZCcAQ&ved=0CHwQ8wIwAw#

Good idea. Although I find that an assortment of coloured insulation tape make a much cheaper alternative. :beer1: