PDA

View Full Version : First gig... a wedding?

NXDisco
02-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Following on from a conversation in my gallery thread...

Is it acceptable for a DJ to do a wedding for his/her first ever gig?

I don't think my first gig being a wedding has any relevance on what outcome will happen. I know that I can fill a dance floor. I know I can ensure people have a good time. My equipment is good, it all works and if the unthinkable happens, I have backup to continue.

I believe people and their styles are different and need to have the opportunity to do different things. If you never throw yourself into the deep end then how are you going to learn lessons and improve?

Excalibur
02-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Good question. The Catch 22. You can't do a wedding cos you have no experience, and you can't get experience because you can't do one.

Introduce the B&G for the first dance, have the right track, observe etiquette, and you've done as much as anyone can. A wedding may be the ideal first gig, it may be a grueller. Good luck.

ppentertainments
03-06-2011, 06:29 AM
There are weddings and there are weddings though.

Excalibur
03-06-2011, 06:33 AM

Indeed. Absolutely, totally and utterly in agreement with that.

Since we don't know what sort Shaun's got, we can only offer views in the widest possible terms. I think the lad will do fine, I like his attitude.

Jason
03-06-2011, 07:57 AM
My 1st real booking was a Wedding - but about 10 months away.
I quoted, chased a week later and got the following reply;

...be honest you're the only one who seems to know what you're talking about! (I had one reply that actually said "umm, yeah £300 thanx" and that was all it said haha!)

(I had to dig this email out!).

So, I took the gig, knowing that I had 10 months to get up to speed.

I took on a few 40ths, Engagements, 50ths, Kids Parties and when the Wedding came up, I was nervous, but determined to do a good job.

I had a tidy set-up, dressed for the part, the night was a success - but stressful for me with the responsibiliy weighing on my mind the night before.

A few weeks after the gig (and they came back from their Honeymoon), I got the following email;

...Also you done a great job, have had lots of good comments about you and Carmen, i would highly
recommend you both to anyone.

So, it went well. I don't know if it would have gone well if it was my first ever gig. Back then, I felt I had a good music collection, but some obvious tracks were missing and I found mic work very hard.

One thing is to be honest with the client, if they ask how long you've been DJing or how many weddings you've done.. don't lie.

Jason

sweetie
03-06-2011, 09:18 AM
My first gig was a wedding too - My cousin knew I was a dj (in clubs) and asked me to do after tha band at her wedding instead of a gift. Now, there was no mic work needed but I swotted up for the six months prior to it and it went so well that it gave me the confidence and impetus to go into mobile djing afterwards.
Just do your homework, don't panic and you'll be fine.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
There are a lot of factors that come into play for this question. There is a lot more information and help on here and the internet in general for a start.

If a DJ is older and knows and understands music more than someone younger, then that helps.

If the DJ is generally confident then that would help and if they have been to a number of weddings and understand wedding etiquette, then that might help.

No hard and fast answer to this. Too many factors.

DeckstarDeluxe
03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I think as a golden rule you shouldn't do your first public solo gig as a Wedding.

That said if you roadie for a few guys who are experienced and know what they are doing then that would help.

My first few gigs were teenage events, farewell parties and a 40th. Not really sure I would of been happy doing a Wedding as my first gig.

DJ Paulie
03-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I never knew that Ian !

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-06-2011, 10:04 AM
I think as a golden rule you shouldn't do your first public solo gig as a Wedding.

How is it a 'golden rule' Neil?

As I said, there are a lot of factors involved for each individual. It can't possibly a golden rule. ;)

yourdj
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM

As with any gig depends on the venue etc.

One of my first gigs was a first weddings was here and I do not recal anything bad happening. Not as good as today but not that bad either.

I would suggest doing a set gig to a group of people the DJ can relate too. Ie a 30th or 21st.

http://www.sletoh.com/photo/1/4680.jpg

DeckstarDeluxe
03-06-2011, 10:11 AM

As I said, there are a lot of factors involved for each individual. It can't possibly a golden rule. ;)

Hence "I think" :D

I'm sure there has been DJ's who did a Wedding first and lack of experience wasn't too much of an issue, but I still think having a few gigs behind you will help no end mainly because of the variety of music required.

Ecstatic Events
03-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Agreed, my first solo mobile gig was a Wedding. This was around 18 months ago. BUT, I had been a DJ for 12 years previous (non mobile)

I was slightly nervous, but more than capable of doing a good job as I had lots of relevant experience. I even joked with the brides Father at the end of the night that it was my first "wedding" he thought I was taking the :Censored:!!!

If you have limited experience as a DJ and your first gig is a wedding, AND the Bride and Groom are fully aware of this. Then fairplay, fill your boots!

Mark Wild
03-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Go for it !!! Be confident and prepare well !

As with any gig depends on the venue etc.

One of my first gigs was a first weddings was here and I do not recal anything bad happening. Not as good as today but not that bad either.

I would suggest doing a set gig to a group of people the DJ can relate too. Ie a 30th or 21st.

http://www.sletoh.com/photo/1/4680.jpg

eh? must be that plum in your mouth....

You only get one first gig btw.

cdkdisco
05-06-2011, 02:11 PM
To have your first gig as a wedding would be daunting. I still get extremely nervous doing weddings which is my favourite gig to do.(not just the money)...1st dance song set up on the laptop..copied onto cd as back up. After thats over, I can relax and enjoy the gig.
Certainly would not want this as my first gig. Forget about "reading the crowd" stuff... what`s your cd collection and knowledge of music like, would be my first consideration.
My nephew who works as a club dj went to work for an agency for some extra cash and pick up some experience so he could come and help me out. He had never done a "mobile" before. The first gig they sent him too was a wedding. I couldn`t believe how irresponsible they were. Armed with little in the way of classic party tracks or indeed any knowledge of music outside last five years, it was a disaster. A few more gigs came and went and he was put off doing mobiles. Easier for him to get young people at the club dancing where he can use his excellent mixing skills than doing mobiles... Certainly gave him a bit more respect for mobile dj`s.
First gig at a wedding would be very unusual for a novice to get or new mobile starting up but would not be recommended. Too much as stake.

funkymook
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Definitely not - it's bound to be a disaster and put you off DJ'ing for life! :D