PDA

View Full Version : new hard drive

gharbud
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
just recently brought one of the segate go flex 2tb desktop hard drives, transferred all my music etc from my segate 1tb expansion, now dunno if its me or a coinsidence, but when using virtual dj and searching their is a freeze as it were wen it is searching maybe 2-3 seconds, then it will load the searched songs etc, is this a hard drive problem ie, if i upgrade to usb 3 or sata which i can with the go flex is going to make the searches instant? or is it a laptop issue?, im running macbook pro, win7 4gb ram, at the moment to get more usb ports on my mac im using an express card 34mm (i have a 2008 mac which has the expansion slot) this has 2 usb 2.0 on it, you can get these with usb 3.0 or sata, if i used this card will i get the usb speeds or is the mac not going to recognise it? thanks

discomobiledj
04-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Did you clear the VDJ memory before hooking up the new hard drive?

Also.....Produb... :sofa:

gharbud
04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
the hard drive is just an exact mirror of the old one, whats the vdj memory?, and yes i do have pro dub :-D

DiscoPromotions
04-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Looking at the hard drive specs it has 7.2K RPM, 8.5 MS Seek time, 9 MS write time.

These kinds of speeds are ok for something about 500 GB to 750GB, anything more would be pushing delay on VDJ reading & completeing a search.

Upgrading to USB 3 will improve the search time, but you will still always have a delay.

Also, look at your internal hard drive on your machine as songs are stored in XML file and if the drive speed of your internal drive is slow then you will incur a delay there.

Jiggles
05-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Are you 100% sure that you have the 3.0 version? Its only available in one or the other not both.

juicylucy
05-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Can someone please explain to me what produb has to do with this thread. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Excalibur
05-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Can someone please explain to me what produb has to do with this thread. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Quite possibly nothing.As the OP points out, the tracks are already covered by a Produb Licence, and as long as both drives aren't used simultaneously, one may be considered "backup" and thus attracts no Produb fees.

gharbud
05-06-2011, 03:35 PM
i have brought the usb 2.0 version, but you can change to a usb 3 or sata via and adaptor for it

mattydinx
05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I doubt you'd gain much performance by getting the USB3 or SATA interface adaptors simply in VDJ, the hard drive itself can't saturate the speeds achievable by either interface and benefits would only be useful if you're loading large files (WAV, VOB, MPG, etc.)

Within config, select the 'browser' tab - select your external hard drive from the drop down menu and click on 'clean'

Also try re-scanning the drive for tags on the drive within VDJ

CRAZY K
05-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Quite possibly nothing.As the OP points out, the tracks are already covered by a Produb Licence, and as long as both drives aren't used simultaneously, one may be considered "backup" and thus attracts no Produb fees.

When did that come in Peter?

I thought the back up had to be left on the fireplace at home other wise you need a licence for 2x tracks???????????????

x=the number of tracks you have

Which is what I do obviously;)

Excalibur
05-06-2011, 06:36 PM
When did that come in Peter?

I thought the back up had to be left on the fireplace at home other wise you need a licence for 2x tracks???????????????

x=the number of tracks you have

Which is what I do obviously;)

Horse's mouth. Rule 15.
http://www.prsformusic.com/users/recordedmedia/ProDub/Pages/produbfaqs.aspx

15. Does my ProDub Licence allow me to make a back-up of the copies I make?
Yes it does. Furthermore, the additional copies that constitute your back-up database do not count as extra copies when calculating your licence fee, however, these back-up copies may not be used for your performances.

discomobiledj
05-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Horse's mouth. Rule 15.
http://www.prsformusic.com/users/recordedmedia/ProDub/Pages/produbfaqs.aspx

15. Does my ProDub Licence allow me to make a back-up of the copies I make?
Yes it does. Furthermore, the additional copies that constitute your back-up database do not count as extra copies when calculating your licence fee, however, these back-up copies may not be used for your performances.

Playing devil's advocate......If the main hard drive went down during a gig, would the back up then not be brought into play thus you are then using your "back up" hard drive?

Vectis
05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Playing devil's advocate......If the main hard drive went down during a gig, would the back up then not be brought into play thus you are then using your "back up" hard drive?

I suspect that "the man on the Clapham Omnibus" would concur that swapping out a duff drive for a working one would not be a breach.

Having two laptops/HD players connected to two drives, one as a 'hot standby' would be a breach. Interestingly, two (or more) laptops pulling files from a single NAS drive would not present a breach ;)

Excalibur
05-06-2011, 07:35 PM

You don't name the :Censored: things! You pay for one drive, you make as many backups as you like. As long as you only plug one in at once, you're fireproof.
How difficult can this be to grasp? We have had it discussed more than once. More than twice, even.

discomobiledj
05-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I suspect that "the man on the Clapham Omnibus" would concur that swapping out a duff drive for a working one would not be a breach.

Having two laptops/HD players connected to two drives, one as a 'hot standby' would be a breach. Interestingly, two (or more) laptops pulling files from a single NAS drive would not present a breach ;)

Don't you just love a loophole!

Digital Jack
06-06-2011, 08:26 PM
the hard drive is just an exact mirror of the old one, whats the vdj memory?, and yes i do have pro dub :-D

Did you clone the hard drive or just copy it ?
There's a big difference between the two options.