PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question? Connection from Laptop to Mixer...

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi all,

Quick one.
At the moment when I have VDJ on my laptop, it is connected from the headphone socket to a channel on my mixer.

Headphone to Audio lead with a Ground Loop Isolator.

When I am cueing up tracks as backup, I select the channel on the mixer and I can hear everything nice and clean and when it's playing through the mixer, it's fine.

If I want to use VDJ full on and mix with it, if the crossfader is slid to the left and I want to hear what's playing on the right to cue it up - I can't?
I connected the DJ2Go up just a second ago with everything set up as I would use it and still the same.

Do I need a splitter of something going into the mixer so that I use 2 channels on the mixer?

The reason I ask this is because I generally use VDJ as backup but should I need it to do a night for whatever reason (the Denon goes down or something?), I'd like to be able to use it to cue up and mix etc...

Thanks in advance......

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2011, 07:41 PM
What I would advise Gary, is to buy a soundcard. You can then use a channel on your mixer for each of the decks on VDJ.

DeckstarDeluxe
09-06-2011, 07:54 PM
What I would advise Gary, is to buy a soundcard. You can then use a channel on your mixer for each of the decks on VDJ.

Seconded!. The sound quality between using the internal standard sound card and a "proper" one is noticeable. Before buying the denon MC6000 I used the Numark IO and then an even better Gigaport HD

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Any links please chaps?

Thanks

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Before buying the denon MC6000

I didn't know you'd bought one of those - you never mentioned it....:p

Any links please chaps?

Thanks

http://www.andertons.co.uk/interfaces-soundcards/pid15664/cid610/esi-gigaport-hd-8out-usb-audio-interface.asp

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks very much. I just had a quick look at the Numark IO thing too.
I know I will sound like a donut but......Is it a case of USB Soundcard to Laptop and then Soundcard to Mixer and use 2 channels?

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I know I will sound like a donut but......Is it a case of USB Soundcard to Laptop and then Soundcard to Mixer and use 2 channels?

Exactly that. If it is for backup, I would probably go for the Numark (haven't used one but it looks to be effective) for the price and simplicity.

You need to set the channels and choose the soundcard in the config in VDJ, but once you buy a card, I'll help you sort that out.

DeckstarDeluxe
09-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Dead easy to set up, I haven't tried a Maya 44 but I know other forum users do have.

Excalibur
09-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Exactly that. If it is for backup, I would probably go for the Numark (haven't used one but it looks to be effective) for the price and simplicity.

Third vote for Soundcard. Especially DJ IO. It's so simple to set up that even I can do it. Good quality too, probably not in the same league as Maya or Gigaport, but a thousand times better than headphones out.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2011, 08:47 PM
God quality to

:eek: :D

Excalibur
09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
God quality to.

:eek: :D

OK Smartbottom, I'll edit it, but leave the Kudos here with you. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks very much. I will get on the case tomorrow.

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Sorry....back again...

I could put this in the Denon flightcase already connected to the mixer and then just connect it to the laptop yeah? Plug in the DJ2Go and then that's it?

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Sorry....back again...

I could put this in the Denon flightcase already connected to the mixer and then just connect it to the laptop yeah? Plug in the DJ2Go and then that's it?

Yep, just have the USB lead somewhere where you can reach it to plug it in your laptop. I usually use velcro to attach the soundcard to the bottom of the case.

By the way Gary, you do know that you can use the HD2500 as a midi controller for VDJ? Just change the settings in config - mappers, drop down box and change to HD2500. The display doesn't work, but you can still use the basic functionality.

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Cheers Darren. Yes, I knew about using the Denon as Midi. I've tried it a couple of times at home. What I really want though is a backup system incase the Denon one day day decides to stop working. If the laptop and controller are just connected to the mixer and cue'd up, it wouldn't matter too much if the worst happened.

I hope that makes sense.

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2011, 09:19 PM
No, totally correct Mike.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Cheers Darren. Yes, I knew about using the Denon as Midi. I've tried it a couple of times at home. What I really want though is a backup system incase the Denon one day day decides to stop working. If the laptop and controller are just connected to the mixer and cue'd up, it wouldn't matter too much if the worst happened.

I hope that makes sense.

Yep, I know you're after a backup, I was just seeing if you were aware that you could use the HD2500 as a midi device. :)

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks mate.

Jonny Boy
10-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Dead easy to set up, I haven't tried a Maya 44 but I know other forum users do have.

+1. The maya also has rca inputs, which I've used for recording into Cubase LE and audacity. I did struggle to find the drivers for it first however, and had to get a boffin friend to help me via some serious googleification.*

You need to set the channels and choose the soundcard in the config in VDJ, but once you buy a card, I'll help you sort that out.

+1 again, Numark IO was my next choice if I didn't want to record vocals. One of the DJs on my team has one and it was snip to buy and set up. (Although he uses PCDJ Dex, rather than V-DJ.)

TBH, once the drivers were sorted and installed, setting the new card up in V-DJ is pretty straight-forward.

*If Steve Miller can make up "pompitus", I can have googleification. :daft: