PDA

View Full Version : Photographers stealing your dancefloor!!

yourdj
11-06-2011, 07:41 PM
How annoying is that. They have had all day to take that magic picture and then the take them and the wedding party for more snaps after first dance leaving you with no wedding party. :Censored:

The bloke is cool but surely he is good enough to have got a good few pics by now. I am in a room of people wondering where the bride, groom and the wedding party have gone. :p

I had one idiot the other day take the bride and groom to bournemouth and delayed the first dance by two hours!!

Oh well he goes at 9pm so should have them back by then.

Kernow
11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
How annoying is that. They have had all day to take that magic picture and then the take them and the wedding party for more snaps after first dance leaving you with no wedding party. :Censored:

The bloke is cool but surely he is good enough to have got a good few pics by now. I am in a room of people wondering where the bride, groom and the wedding party have gone. :p

I had one idiot the other day take the bride and groom to bournemouth and delayed the first dance by two hours!!

Oh well he goes at 9pm so should have them back by then.

And whose party is it Toby ?
Surely the B&G can do whatever/whenever they like ? :(

Excalibur
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Eh? Can't see that concept catching on.

DeckstarDeluxe
11-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Now when I saw this thread I had a strange image of a photographer actually stealing the dancefloor lol

I'm with Kernow. Did they not mention this during the planning process Toby?

Excalibur
11-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Now when I saw this thread I had a strange image of a photographer actually stealing the dancefloor lol

Can't see that catching on, either.

DeckstarDeluxe
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
You noticed a hole in your purse today Peter or something? :P

yourdj
11-06-2011, 09:33 PM

well i just talked to him and he said it was silly and he had had enough of all the photos throughout the day. Bride too. He has has them all day.

Not mentioned once in planning. Has to be the worst gig i have done in terms of participation for years. on and off that kind of thing. :mad:
I really am trying my best though and getting there. The venue have blocked the entrance with massive tables which has also messed up access from the bar (which is great for not getting people out but works the other way too), noise limiter ahh :lol:

this is not a rant by the way we all get gigs like this.

Edit - dance floor now full :D

Kernow
11-06-2011, 10:00 PM
How annoying is that. They have had all day to take that magic picture and then the take them and the wedding party for more snaps after first dance leaving you with no wedding party.
I am in a room of people wondering where the bride, groom and the wedding party have gone. :p

Has to be the worst gig i have done in terms of participation for years. on and off that kind of thing. :mad:
I really am trying my best though and getting there.
Edit - dance floor now full :D

So the first dance had taken place, you had a room full of people and the party, and presumably the DJ, grinds to a halt every time a few key people were absent from the room :confused: :confused: :confused:

Long Live flexibility ;)

discomobiledj
12-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Sounds like you and the photographer are a match made in heaven . Are you not both being paid by the B & G?

Corabar Steve
12-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Toby's just upset because he's not taking any pictures of him :sj:

Excalibur
12-06-2011, 08:12 AM
You noticed a hole in your purse today Peter or something? :P

See Good Gig Bad Gig, Neil. On balance, I'd swap Toby. :( :( :(

gaza
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Well it would of made a nice change for someone else to take a picture of Toby, other than Toby that is :D

Shakermaker Promotions
12-06-2011, 08:50 AM
At the end of the day....WE aren't the centre of attention are we. It's the Bride & Grooms day.

Excalibur
12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
At the end of the day....WE aren't the centre of attention are we. It's the Bride & Grooms day.

Oh yeah? :confused: I don't see them pressing play on the Cortex, and announcing that the buffet's open. :p :D :D To a great extent, we must at least be the focus of attention, if not the centre. It's unavoidable, unless you are totally mute the whole evening.

The knack is to not take over the evening, but to ensure that all the punters have a good time. If the majority of punters have a grim night, then the B&G will have one too.

Shakermaker Promotions
12-06-2011, 09:09 AM
I understand that and I am sure you know where I am coming from. The way this thread has been posted, it almost feels like it's a case of Toby getting a strop on because he isn't the centre of attention....that's how it looks anyway. Obviously, we are the centre of attention, like it or not because we are the evening's entertainment with loud music and flashing lights that you can't really miss.

D'oh!

Andy Goodtimes
12-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Maybe a bit more time spent on making the best of the evening rather than posting on internet forums when they are paying you to work.

A couple of weeks ago the photographer took the B&G to the Bride's grandmother's house as she was in her 90s and bed ridden. The Bride wanted her Grandmother to see her in her Wedding gown and to have a proper professional picture taken with her. Problem is that this was on the way from the church and everyone set off in a convoy for the hotel and no one knew what was going on so after about 15 minutes at the venue everyone started to get a bit concerned. I just got on with it and played some games with the kids.

Mark Wild
12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Maybe a bit more time spent on making the best of the evening rather than posting on internet forums when they are paying you to work.

Amen, you posted at 10.33 p.m wtf are you doing in the forums at that time when you're working, prize plonker.

yourdj
12-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Well it would of made a nice change for someone else to take a picture of Toby, other than Toby that is :D

Thanks Steve and gaza :p Good job there was not a videographer.
I am far from the centre of attention at the gig. perhaps at the start when I introduce, but my thats about it. :)

The knack is to not take over the evening, but to ensure that all the punters have a good time. If the majority of punters have a grim night, then the B&G will have one too.

Thats the problem, there was just something not right. i do over 100 weddings a year and they are mostly as good as could possibly be.
The venue staff said there was tension in the families or something and something went on early in the day. The bride was not happy from the start, but got in the swing of things by the end.

it almost feels like it's a case of Toby getting a strop on because he isn't the centre of attention

As mentioned I was a bit perplexed as it was not going the way it normally does or should have gone. You really do take my posts a bit seriously :D

The post was more asking about other peoples experience of photographers, not me and a difficult gig.

i understand where you are coming from :) but if you ever came to one of my gigs I am far from that. Its all about the bride and groom to me. My videos and the actual gig are two different things and anyone who knows me will agree. I am never happy unless everything is perfect usually. If it takes shutting up and playing good music or involving the crowd then thats dependent on the event, but it is never about me. either the wedding party or guests.

The venue manager said I was the best DJ he had seen for months and my reply was "really" (as if to say you have to be joking) :) it was good in the end but I was not happy as my last dozen weddings have really gone very well and I knew it was nothing I was doing as i was pulling out all the stops. :)

I think i am going to stop posting things like this and stick to other things on here as they keep getting taken the wrong way and I am getting fed up with mirror/centre of attention comments as that is not me or reflects my gigs. The videos I do are just for marketing and are very effective. :)

I am bowing out of this one and not posting anything similar again. Bonjour :)

Shakermaker Promotions
12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Toby, I don't expect you to post on this subject again as you've said you won't but I'll comment anyway.

I know what I said sounded harsh but if you read it properly (because it looks like you've singled my comment out)...I said "It FEELS LIKE it's a case of you getting in strop....". The way your post was written and the time it was written etc etc gave that impression (to me anyway).

When people post on the forum, people will always have their own thoughts on the situation. Some will agree, some will disagree....some will post about it and some will keep their thoughts to themselves.

By saying that you don't want to post anymore on the subject just makes it LOOK like you've got a strop on again....It wasn't my intention to get you narked, I was just posting honestly.

yourdj
12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
By saying that you don't want to post anymore on the subject just makes it LOOK like you've got a strop on again....It wasn't my intention to get you narked, I was just posting honestly.

:p I was actually going to put on the bottom "by the way I am not in a strop" but ran out of time. ;)

Not at all I do not get stroppy, i just get on with things, we need to go down the pub for a pint. Just that my posts like this seem to be going this way recently and I cant see any positive reason to post another one like it as the way I post based on previous history too is obviously not working and I do not want to end up like another Sam.

Like you I am pretty open on here and leave myself for the slaughter but thats all in good business and improving myself through constructive criticism, of which this post has no use to me as it has not been posted in the right manner and taken out of context. :)

DJ Paulie
12-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Slightly :offtopic: but a strop is the leather strap used for sharpening cutthroat razors, fathers used to belt their kids with them, hence the saying !

Andy Goodtimes
12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Toby; sorry nothing personal, thing is you say you do over 100 Weddings in a year so you must appreciate that you know a lot more about them than the B&G. They prob just thought lets get the most out of the photographer before he goes, the album should be around for generations to come long after they have both gone and in the meantime its something they can sit and look at to bring back memories so obviously its important to them.

Lets face it we know more than most about Weddings, there's nothing more annoying than our plans being screwed or some idiot Photographer, venue manager or Wedding Planner messing things up. I just see it as part of the job, it happens all the time.

I had one that ran over a few weeks ago and the Wedding Planner reorganised everything to a new timetable to suit...but, it didn't suit because the firework display had to go at a specific time because it was near a major airport and on a flight path so it had been allotted ATC clearence.

Only last night I did first dance followed by father/daughter, mother/groom and then the wedding party then everyone else and I had worked them really carefully with specific tracks to get them all up and keep them up till the evening supper then the Bride comes up and says she forgot she wanted to do the Throwing of the Bouquet, in the planning meetings she said she wasn't going to do it as the bouquet was too expensive and she wanted to keep it. It was a real pain, I had to clear the floor and get all the single ladies up and then afterwards I really struggled to get them back till after the evening supper. You get the venue staff saying the food is at 9.15 and its now 9.05 so I don't bother trying too hard but then the food isn't really ready till 9.40...If only I knew...guess I should have known really because it always happens...35 minutes lost because of someone else's CBA attitude and how much would that calculate to out of the thousands the Wedding has cost but do they care?...do they...

I've lost count of the times I have had to smile and keep my mouth shut and just do my job.

Shakermaker Promotions
12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Good reply!

If you are doing 100 weddings a year Toby then respect to you. The most I have done is 49 and that was last year. I'd love to be able to do 100 a year.

yourdj
12-06-2011, 04:17 PM
They prob just thought lets get the most out of the photographer before he goes.

Lets face it we know more than most about Weddings, there's nothing more annoying than our plans being screwed or some idiot Photographer, venue manager or Wedding Planner messing things up. I just see it as part of the job, it happens all the time.

The bouquet was too expensive and she wanted to keep it. It was a real pain,

I've lost count of the times I have had to smile and keep my mouth shut and just do my job.

cheers for the input.

Exactly what i do in these situations. Not easy when you have a room full of people sitting staring at you :p
I did do a post on this about "paranoia the DJ's worst enemy" or something.
At times I have gone out and just sat and chatted with people.
There is not allot you can do really as I know its nothing i am doing wrong.

The bride and groom had had enough of the pictures and did not really want any more, which was why I posted this. Its up to them to say that tbh.
The photographer and venue staff were lovely. :)

On a seperate note I always encourage the bride to get a second bouquet "a fake bouquet" too throw or us one of the bridesmaids ones at the pre wedding meeting. ;) Its a great night divider and a chance too find out which girls are single :D

Good reply!

If you are doing 100 weddings a year Toby then respect to you. The most I have done is 49 and that was last year. I'd love to be able to do 100 a year.

Well 100 ish this year 89 last. 49 is a hell of allot too especially if you do other events. :)
I just have to figure out a way to do that many at double the rate :p

The all day bookings are picking up which is the same thing I suppose.

Charlie Brown
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
You must make a decent living then Toby?

I can see prospective bride and grooms watching your videos at home now. They are a really good marketing tool. I'm going to give them a whirl sometime.

yourdj
12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
You must make a decent living then Toby?

Not bad, although I have allot of outgoings with the house and stuff. :)

Nice to make a living for something you love. Always my dream. :)

:offtopic: