PDA

View Full Version : Another Question - Before I go to the shop!

Shakermaker Promotions
13-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi all,

Just installed the Numark DJ IO and everything seems ok. I noticed some horrible distortion with it at first but have sorted that with the Asio latency settings.

Now, when I was using the laptop's internal soundcard (headphone socket to audio), I had a Ground Loop Isolator and everything was cool. If I don't have the GLI as a connector with this, the noise is horrible. With it, all is well...

Silly question but....Will I need another GLI for the other channel?

I hope that makes sense....my thinking is Yes, I will.

Excalibur
13-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

Just installed the Numark DJ IO and everything seems ok. I noticed some horrible distortion with it at first but have sorted that with the Asio latency settings.

Now, when I was using the laptop's internal soundcard (headphone socket to audio), I had a Ground Loop Isolator and everything was cool. If I don't have the GLI as a connector with this, the noise is horrible. With it, all is well...

Silly question but....Will I need another GLI for the other channel?

I hope that makes sense....my thinking is Yes, I will.

I use two, so I'd say yes.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Never used one myself and never had to, bit strange.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-06-2011, 03:55 PM

It's not strange Neil. A lot of people suffer with this, trust me!

Gary, you will need 2.

Excalibur
13-06-2011, 04:10 PM

Neil,from what little I know, some laptop power supplies generate a hum, some don't. If you have one that's quiet, you'll never need a GLI.
If yours does generate hum, you'll need one GLI for each channel.

Sapphire Disco
13-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Neil,from what little I know, some laptop power supplies generate a hum, some don't. If you have one that's quiet, you'll never need a GLI.
If yours does generate hum, you'll need one GLI for each channel.

I think the other thing to consider is sometimes it's not your equipment which is causing the trouble, so if you have GLIs fitted you will be covered if there is interference from the venues electrics.

Shakermaker Promotions
13-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I didn't go and get one as I couldn't get out but my thinking was correct....thanks again.

Neil, as Sapphire says above...it might not be your equipment but one day you may go to a venue that has interference of some kind. It's always best to have a GLI with you in my opinion. For the sake of around £10.00, might aswell.

I will do a full check tomorrow when I have connected everything up.

WWDJ
14-06-2011, 06:24 AM
I might have to get a couple. Can anyone recommend a good link?

Personally I have had no trouble with any of the soundcards or laptops that I have used, but I don't want a venue to cause me problems

Excalibur
14-06-2011, 06:32 AM
I might have to get a couple. Can anyone recommend a good link?Personally I have had no trouble with any of the soundcards or laptops that I have used, but I don't want a venue to cause me problems

Yes. Blimey, they've gone up!!!!!!!
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/a-1095/ground-loop-isolator/dp/AV12774

Shakermaker Promotions
14-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Sorted! Been and got another GLI, connected it all up and no background noise at all. Everything working on the mixer as it should so happy days.