PDA

View Full Version : Deleting emails

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I am guilty of not deleting emails from my deleted folder and am just going through and trying to make sense of what to keep and what to delete.

How long do you keep emails for and what do you keep?

Spirits High
18-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm guilty of this aswell.

The one's I delete are booking enquirys over 18months old, completed bookings again that are over 18 months old.

Business type ones ie: to do with contact with suppliers or advertisers etc these don't get deleted but sit in a folder specific to that person / business.

BeerFunk
18-06-2011, 12:50 PM
If you're using Office Outlook, you might as well just archive everything from the past couple of years, for all the space it takes. Absolutely no harm in keeping them, and they're out of the way too.

funkymook
18-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I am guilty of not deleting emails from my deleted folder and am just going through and trying to make sense of what to keep and what to delete.

How long do you keep emails for and what do you keep?

If it's DJ bookings related I'll keep them indefinitely. Emails that confirm details or have contacts are kept - but I do tidy them up a bit, I'll delete conversation threads that are duplicated so you end up with the final email that includes all the previous ones.

It it's enquiry emails that have come to nowt then they'd be deleted after the event date unless they had anything worth keeping in them (local venue contacts for instance).

For non DJ related emails again it depends on content - but usually if it's over 2 months old and I haven't needed to look at it then it's gone.

And it's sod's law as soon as you have a purge you really need an email that's been deleted!

Excalibur
18-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Same here.

How long do you keep emails for
Something approaching forever. :o :o :o When I notice the number in there has become vast, I clear it.

and what do you keep?

Nothing. If it's in the deleted folder, it's there for a reason. I have folders for archiving stuff , so anything to keep goes in Ebay, Enquiries, MP3 Receipts etc.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2011, 01:03 PM
If you're using Office Outlook, you might as well just archive everything from the past couple of years, for all the space it takes. Absolutely no harm in keeping them, and they're out of the way too.

Yeah, but there's loads of spam and rubbish and it's annoying me!

yourdj
18-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks Darren,

Just deleted 8117 emails from the deleted folder :D
Never thought of it tbh

That should free up some space on my HD :)

I generally delete anything of no use and keep good emails so the inbox is full of booking history etc.

DeckstarDeluxe
18-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I delete emails for events that have passed as I keep contracts and any important information with that.

wensleydale
18-06-2011, 02:51 PM
My deleted emails go back about 5 years- only delete when it starts slowing things down.

18-06-2011, 03:06 PM
emails that are marked as unread last about 3months, emails marked as read that are deleted are kept about 8 months or so.

If there's anything important such as threads to confirm stuff, receipts etc are printed and kept with the booking confirmation / in my accounts stuff.

Leicester Ben
18-06-2011, 03:13 PM
We keep everything (apart from spam which is deleted as it comes in).

It dosent take up much space so we just save everything, same as the calendar.

Cowlinn
18-06-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't think I've ever deleted an email in my life :lol:

Spam goes into the junk folder 99 times out of 100

Daryll
18-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Only delete the contents of the spam folder once a week.
Using MS outlook , I have different folders for different emails , so I just drag them from the in-box to where I think they should go/.

Daryll

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Right then...

Quotations (incoming and the sent reply) go into a folder marked "Quote 10/11", "Quote 11/12" etc and this whole folder gets deleted once the year has passed.

Confirmed bookings go in "Bookings 10/11", "Bookings 11/12" etc, with sub-folder for each event...and these get deleted, 12 months after the year end (incase any feedback/something crops up and I need the correspondance).

I have a "General" for...well...general stuff that comes in thats of interest...and have been known to keep the odd thing in my inbox that needs fairly recent attention. The general folder gets emptied about every 6 months of stuff that I dont need any more.

The "deleted items" folder get emptied each time I delet something :)

DazzyD
18-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Spam gets deleted straight away especially if it contains attachments. Booking enquiries go in to the booking enquiry folder and emails relating to bookings go in to the CRM system.

That's pretty much it! Everything is archived after 6 months.

BeerFunk
18-06-2011, 08:53 PM

Yeah, but there's loads of spam and rubbish and it's annoying me!Yeah but it surely can't annoy you if it's packed away in an archive and you never see it? Just save all your emails from one year into an archive (ie. 2010.pst), save it somewhere and forget about it...

If you ever need to look something out, just open it up in Outlook and it's there for you. All you've got to lose really is a few GB storage space (depending on how many emails you deal with, of course).