PDA

View Full Version : exernal hard drive, vdj

gharbud
19-06-2011, 08:08 PM
am using a segate go flex hard drive, with virtual dj, i am running a macbook pro 2008, with windows xp, one thing that i have noticed is the difference in the seek time that it takes to find the song in the virtual dj browser, for instance on the macbook when searching for a song virtual dj will freeze for up to 2-3 seconds then the songs will appear this is the same as when clicking on a folder in the browser can take up to 5-7 seconds to open some of the larger ones. now when i use vdj on my samsung, and my hp notebook witch are both running windows 7 their is no delay atall??, it might sound a bit picky but them few seconds are all valuable time when added up, i really cant see why it would be a problem with the laptop?, any help would be great, thanks

Excalibur
19-06-2011, 08:43 PM
One person who springs to mind as versed in this is Andy ( Deltic) because he's a confirmed Mac user. Let's see if he spots this thread.

Booche
19-06-2011, 08:59 PM
1st Question is why are you running a macbook with xp on lol

I find that my dell lappy sometimes takes a couple of seconds to 6 seconds depending on how many files are in a specific folder,

I have one folder which contains all the music which takes about 5-6 seconds to open BUT then once that is open there is a second or 2 on certain ones due to the reson above.

Hope this helps :D

Digital Jack
19-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Do you have USB power management (google it) enabled or disabled ??

deltic
20-06-2011, 09:37 PM
i have a macbook with 4gb ram running virtual dj pro and also use seagate go-flex drives.

when you click volumes and then the drive the folders expand right away,when you click on a folder the songs come into the middle pain instantly.

when typing into the search box in the middle panel the results are displayed as you type.

sometimes when loading video files the spinning platter pauses,but it doesn't affect output.

cpu runs on 3-4 green bars when playing music,this can rise to 8 green bars when playing video.

oh and when all this is going on i can brows t'interweb with my dongle at the same time.

i suspect you need more ram if you are using windoze on your mac as windows is more resourse hungry.

alternatively download and run vdj for mac,much better in my opinion and very stable.

gharbud
21-06-2011, 01:49 PM
ahh i see, what macbook are you using?, i have a late 2007 17" 2.33ghz one, am running xp 32bit which is why i cant access the full 4gb. and cant install and 64bit windows on this mac because it does not support it

Larry B Entertainment
21-06-2011, 02:21 PM
On my PCDJ VJ, it takes a few seconds to open a directory but it never seems to cause a problem and the decks carry on playing even though the CPU bar goes right into the red. I think there is some coding in there to prevent glitches even at high CPU usage.

deltic
21-06-2011, 03:25 PM
ahh i see, what macbook are you using?, i have a late 2007 17" 2.33ghz one, am running xp 32bit which is why i cant access the full 4gb. and cant install and 64bit windows on this mac because it does not support it

just can't understand why you run windows on your mac.

gharbud
21-06-2011, 03:58 PM
i would run vdj on osx but ive found glitches in the mac version, and the hassel of sorting out my hard drive ie the database file, i dont wanna have to rescan it and lose all my cue points etc + if i want to go back to windows i would have to reverse the operation

gharbud
21-06-2011, 04:00 PM
it took 19 seconds today to open a folder on my external drive, the folder does have over 100 albums in it but shoudnt take that long

Digital Jack
21-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Do you have USB power management (google it) enabled or disabled ??

gharbud
21-06-2011, 09:07 PM
i have it disabled on all root hubs

Digital Jack
21-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Has the external hard drive got its own power supply , or is it powered by the USB port ?
If it's powered by the USB port , does it use one or two ports ?
( Many USB powered external hard drives need to be powered by more than one USB port , by way of a 'Y' USB lead , because one port usually doesn't supply enough power to run the hard drive correctly ).
If it used two ports , are you using ports next to one another ?
How many ports has your laptop got and where are they located ( eg ,one on the left , 2 on the right ).

gharbud
21-06-2011, 09:44 PM
its a powered hard drive, tried it on my home pc and doesnt have a problem atall with freezing in vdj

Digital Jack
21-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Hmm , maybe your home pc's USB ports supply more current than your laptop ?
It's only a guess , maybe it's something to do with the IRQ's within your laptops USB buss ?