PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Flash Player

MikeW
25-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone. I have recently purchased an Ipad, which I am really enjoying using.
I am possibly not as clued up as I could be on computer/internet stuff :)
but I have noticed that my Ipad won't allow me to view websites which use Flash Player (apple won't allow me to download adobe).

My question is this: i will be looking to upgrade my website in the near future, and with more people using Ipads and therefore not being able to view websites which use flash player, would you tend to stay away from flash because of this?

PS I may be totally wrong on all of the above, and if so, please ignore me :D

Thanks

Mike

discomobiledj
25-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Apple doesn't use Flash on the iPad, iPhone etc.

James
25-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Aye, it's some sort of legal issue i think

Cowlinn
25-06-2011, 02:30 PM

I don't think it's a legal issue, just that flash is poor.

discomobiledj
25-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Correct. Apple have banned it as they want total world domination.

I don't think it's a legal issue, just that flash is poor.

See above.

Cowlinn
25-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Or that Apple don't want to incorporate it into their systems?

because it's poor...

Vectis
25-06-2011, 02:58 PM
My question is this: i will be looking to upgrade my website in the near future, and with more people using Ipads and therefore not being able to view websites which use flash player, would you tend to stay away from flash because of this?

Yes.

Flash and search engines don't mix either. There are ways to mitigate to a certain degree but this takes up a lot more developer time and £££s.

Flash is OK for supplementary content on a site to 'brighten it up a bit' (buttons, banners etc.) if taken in moderation and alternative content is put in place for non-flash devices.

Also bear in mind that a lot of corporates disable Flash use too - so the problem isn't limited to iOS devices.

thomas
25-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Flash is awful for websites and google actually downgrades sites that are primarily flash. The reason behind this is that everything in flash can pretty much be made in javascript and HTML5. As seen here: http://chrome.angrybirds.com/ - that would have required flash before.

RE: Apple. They find that it is very buggy - which is true, which is why they have banned it.

Marc J
26-06-2011, 10:02 AM
There were loads of reasons why you shouldn't have an "all flash" or "mostly flash" wesbite well before the iOS devices decided not to support it. Mostly in Vectis' post above, and I've said the same countless times on here in the web design forum.

Flash for "eye candy" - if you like, as long as there is alternative content for non-flash viewers.